Question newbie seeking advice

Thunderbird

Sep 20, 2024
Visit site
This is my first post so be gentle! I've recently just got into the world of HI FI, I've just bought my first set up buying a mixture of new and used (vintage) components :-

TECHNICS SL-D2 Turntable (used)
TECHNICS SU-V470 PXS Amplifier (used)
Q ACOUSTIC 3020i Speakers (Brand new)

Generally I'm quite happy with the setup, when playing a more mellow type of music, something like Ben Howard, the sound is to my ears very good with amazing clarity. However when I play some more heavier Rock/metal type of music i.e. Black sabbath/Alice in Chains I feel the sound is not as good and sounds a bit more muffled and muddy sounding ? I play most of my music by streaming through my laptop, Have i got a mismatch of equipment ? most reviews I've read give very positive feedback about the speakers so would changing the amp help??

Backenst

Mar 2, 2024
Visit site
Thunderbird,

Before you worry about the speakers, which I think are fine, tell us more about your current streaming. What is the source of your streaming? Spotify? Tidal? and secondly how are you getting the music into your amplifier? The source makes a huge difference. Also, You could have some old recordings from Sabbath that were poorly recorded. Are they remastered for instance? Whereas the mellow music might be newer and better reorded.

Also if you have the ability to EQ, you could try to turn down the mid bass around 1-500hz a tad and that should help with the muddiness.

Last edited:

Thunderbird

Sep 20, 2024
Visit site
Hi thanks for your reply, I'm using a RCA to 3.5mm jack which i plug into my laptops headphone output socket, I'm currently experimenting with different streaming services, currently using Amazon Music, I don't think there is anyway to alter the EQ settings from the source device, my amp has Bass/Treble & balance adjustments, most of the albums./songs that I've been listening to have been remixed or remastered, i recently listened to Let it Bleed by the the Rolling stones and this sounded fantastic, it seems to be the more heavier music that sounds flat/muddy?

Fidelity dom

Dec 3, 2020
Visit site
Do you tend to crank the volume up when listening to Rock & Metal? Your amp is 45 watts into 8 ohms & speakers are 6 ohm rated with a minimum 4 ohm rating. I would guess that if you like to crank the volume the amp may be struggling to get the best from the speakers. The room may also be having an impact on base, always worth having a play around with speaker positioning, moving your speakers out a bit if they are close to the walls & ensuring they are on decent quality stands may all help. Try all the free stuff first like speaker position, moving furniture etc if the issue is still present then look to equipment.

Messiah

I'm using a RCA to 3.5mm jack which i plug into my laptops headphone output socket.
Personally, I have always found this to be one of the poorest sounding connections.

Might be worth considering a dedicated streamer. They do not have to be expensive. The Wiim products always seem to get good feedback.

However, I would also check the Amazon Music streaming settings. I've not used it personally but imagine it's similar to Spotify and there are settings for the audio quality. Just make sure it is at the higher setting.

Also, do you use the turntable? Would be interesting to play some vinyl and then play the same tracks via Amazon Music to see how it compares.

Reactions: DougK1

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts