Newbie, inherited Turntable/amp - sound very quiet?

JasonLHill

Jun 14, 2024
Visit site
We inherited a turntable and amplifier a couple of years ago - we've never done anything with it as the speakers were somehow lost. Have a large record collection with it too!

Recently thought it would be nice to get this all operational and thought i'd just need to buy some speakers and speaker cable - but unfortunately after doing this and setting it all up - the sound is very quiet... the records are just about listenable if the sound is turned up almost to the top.

We inherited a Goodmans Delta 800p Turntable - with a A&R Cambridge A60 turntable (https://www.whathifi.com/features/was-then-ar-cambridge-a60-1976-vs-arcam-a19-2013)

I purchased the Roxel RBS-300 BK speakers to go with it (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0BN8X7CND/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
Along with Eelectrosmart 5m Red/Black 2 x 0.50mm Speaker Cable

Although I grew up in the 70s/80s and had my own record player - I was too young to understand the technical side, it just worked! lol

Wondered if anyone can point me in the right direction? Although these items are not expensive, would be great to get them operational again.

Many thanks

It would be interesting to hear just how the turntable is connected as, depending on year, the A60 had a five-pin DIN socket marked Disc or Mag PU or a pair of phono sockets.
If the sound is that quiet suggest he has it connected to wrong input or the phono stage is kaput.

Last edited:
Reactions: DougK1

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
It would be interesting to hear just how the turntable is connected as, depending on year, the A60 had a five-pin DIN socket marked Disc or Mag PU or a pair of phono sockets.
If the sound is that quiet suggest he has it connected to wrong input or the phono stage is kaput.
Precisely Al (y) saw that when I googled images of the amp. In this case a picture would paint a thousand words.

Reactions: Gray

JasonLHill

Jun 14, 2024
Visit site
Hi all, thank you for your suggestions and advice - once I plugged the din connector into the Mag PU the problem was resolved! (this is the only one I hadn't tried)

Including pictures to satisfy any curiosities though ;)
Maybe might have suggestions to improve sound quality - for example I have no idea what the ground connection is - or if there should be something plugged into it.

(pictures are before I moved to Mag Pu) - excuse the dust lol

Attachments

• record2.png
    record2.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • record1.png
    record1.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
Think you'll find the turntable is earthed via the DIN socket so the earth terminal on the amp is redundant for now. Next big question is how old is the cartridge/stylus?
You would be correct. In this situation the earth terminal is superfluous.
MAG PU is magnetic pick-up so if getting a replacement cartridge make sure it is a moving magnet one (it probably will be anyway)
Replacement stylus might be useful. They are still available it seems.

Last edited:

JasonLHill

Jun 14, 2024
Visit site
Not sure the age of the stylus, probably old - the record player belong to my partners dad - he passed away a couple of years ago, the record player had been in his loft for a while before she inherited it.

So the stylus will be old, but also not used for many years.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts