Newbie here need some help

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey all

I am quite new to this and planning to get my first setup up and running

I am looking at getting Wharfedale Diamond 10.2 but I'm not sure which integrated amp to opt for, currently looking at the Onkyo A9555 and CA 650a. Heard good things about both of them, and sadly I still can't find a shop that carry these items so I can't really audition them. I will be pairing this with my PC for the moment until I can get a CDP, currently my computer have an Asus Essence STX soundcard, was thinking if a DAC like CA Dac Magic plus with Asio would have a significant improvement over the asus?

I was playing with IEMs and so on. I prefer wide soundstage and brighter sound but not too bright.

Would play through Foobar2000 with mostly ripped from CD to lossless file.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
You have two routes to follow, either passive or active systems, from here you have a multitude of choices of equipment, all of which are budget dependent.

The folks on the forum will want to know a budget, so that they can give appropriate advice.

A

Anonymous

My budget would be around 1000 AUD for a set of speakers and an amp. Will I need a power supply?

Wouldn't passive be cheaper/more suitable for my budget?

Sorry but Im still quite virgin to this :oops:

A

Anonymous

hey klvru

i cant tell u about amps because u really need to demo some too see what u like

but i think that stx is decent card i have it too , so if i was u i would buy better speakers insted of a dac

so u can buy some 500-600euro speakers and put rest on a amp or somthing like that

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
klvru said:
My budget would be around 1000 AUD for a set of speakers and an amp. Will I need a power supply?

Wouldn't passive be cheaper/more suitable for my budget?

Horses for courses....

Active examples:

http://www.proaudio.com.au/shoppingcart/products/Yamaha-HS80M-Studio-Monitor-%28Pair%29.html

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Matrix-mini-i-24-192-Balanced-USB-DAC-Headphone-Amp-N-/120699708752?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1a436550

Passive examples:

Wharfdale Diamond 10 and Marantz PM5004

SteveR750

klvru said:
Hey all

I am looking at getting Wharfedale Diamond 10.2 but I'm not sure which integrated amp to opt for, currently looking at the Onkyo A9555 and CA 650a. Heard good things about both of them, and sadly I still can't find a shop that carry these items so I can't really audition them. I will be pairing this with my PC for the moment until I can get a CDP, currently my computer have an Asus Essence STX soundcard, was thinking if a DAC like CA Dac Magic plus with Asio would have a significant improvement over the asus?

I was playing with IEMs and so on. I prefer wide soundstage and brighter sound but not too bright.

Probably, and especially if you use a correctly configured media player software programme on your PC.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
klvru said:
Hey all

Probably, and especially if you use a correctly configured media player software programme on your PC.

Actually I doubt it. It's already a good soundcard and headphone amp. Certainly try it, but I can't imagine much if any improvement.

A

Anonymous

Thanks all for the reply.

I guess I am pretty set on the Wharfy 10.2 and now just need to get a matching amp

Anyone have any experience with Onkyo A-933 or A-9377?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts