Newbie cable selection question

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

The_Lhc said:
retro_sussex said:
If you are happy listening to compressed music such as MP3 or streamed audio what is the point in spending shed loads of cash on bits of expensive wire? The audio has already been degraded.

Not if it's lossless audio it hasn't been. I'd expect someone with 38 years in the business to know that.

I will now keep my head down for a while to avoid the flack from those with costly interconnects. :)

Did you find that evidence you were talking about? I'm interested in reading it.

Somebody has to put the other side of the story. Is it about the kit or is it about the music?

Evidence. - Try a Google search, many articles there.

A lot of music lovers use MP3 and are quite happy with the MP3 quality. Lossless is in the minority due to the space it tales up on your storage device.

I am not condemming your hobby of always looking for the ultimate audio quality regardless of cost, but a lot of us just want to listen and enjoy the music without feeling the need to keep replacing different bits.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
BigColz said:
I did blind tests a few weeks on my friend who knows nothing about hifi and told him to describe the differences.. I didn't tell him which I was using and It wasn't far off how I'd describe it, the difference was obvious and picked the more expensive cable to sound the best everytime. Obviously it depends how revealing your kit is and pointless spending a lot unless you plan to upgrade in the near future

Of course...I do this all the time with my gf who does not understand much on hi-fi but really impresses me every time she explains me what she can hear as it is indeed not at all far from what I think. Yesterday night she could tell me 3 times which one was the combination she liked the most and was always the same...

Again, we need to compare potatoes with potatoes. Nobody mentioned MP3, I never use any MP3 but only lossless files and Studio Master and I do not have an entry level system at home. Of course with an MP3 reader and a budget system I wouldn't even think about swapping cables...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
retro_sussex said:
The_Lhc said:
retro_sussex said:
If you are happy listening to compressed music such as MP3 or streamed audio what is the point in spending shed loads of cash on bits of expensive wire? The audio has already been degraded.

Not if it's lossless audio it hasn't been. I'd expect someone with 38 years in the business to know that.

I will now keep my head down for a while to avoid the flack from those with costly interconnects. :)

Did you find that evidence you were talking about? I'm interested in reading it.

Somebody has to put the other side of the story. Is it about the kit or is it about the music?

That's a completely different discussion, bears no relation to this one.

Why should I? You're the one that says this info is readily available, you should be able to point me straight at it. Anyway, I might find an article from some nutter that can "prove" cables make a big difference, which wouldn't suit your argument.

A lot of music lovers use MP3 and are quite happy with the MP3 quality. Lossless is in the minority due to the space it tales up on your storage device.

Why are you even mentioning mp3 anyway, the OP is running a TT based system, he didn't mention mp3 or any digital source at all.

I am not condemming your hobby of always looking for the ultimate audio quality regardless of cost, but a lot of us just want to listen and enjoy the music without feeling the need to keep replacing different bits.

"My" hobby? Not me mate, I paid 150 quid all in for my speaker cable, all 100m of it, I don't think that's particularly expensive but besides, being happy with what you've got is NOT the same as stating that no speaker cable makes any difference, which is what you said AND you said there was evidence to prove it, which is all I'm asking to see, if the evidence is convincing I'll go with it, if not I'll keep looking but you're changing your argument, which suggests you're not actually aware of any evidence at all.

Just in case you have noticed, I'm not offering an argument for either side of this debate, I just want to see the proof, one way or another.

A

Anonymous

The_Lhc said:
retro_sussex said:
The_Lhc said:
retro_sussex said:

Why should I? You're the one that says this info is readily available, you should be able to point me straight at it. Anyway, I might find an article from some nutter that can "prove" cables make a big difference, which wouldn't suit your argument.

Why are you even mentioning mp3 anyway, the OP is running a TT based system, he didn't mention mp3 or any digital source at all.

"My" hobby? Not me mate, I paid 150 quid all in for my speaker cable, all 100m of it, I don't think that's particularly expensive but besides, being happy with what you've got is NOT the same as stating that no speaker cable makes any difference, which is what you said AND you said there was evidence to prove it, which is all I'm asking to see, if the evidence is convincing I'll go with it, if not I'll keep looking but you're changing your argument, which suggests you're not actually aware of any evidence at all.

Just in case you have noticed, I'm not offering an argument for either side of this debate, I just want to see the proof, one way or another.

Woops, I seem to have touched a raw nerve here, calm down, life is too short to get upset.

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
acalex said:
BigColz said:
I did blind tests a few weeks on my friend who knows nothing about hifi and told him to describe the differences.. I didn't tell him which I was using and It wasn't far off how I'd describe it, the difference was obvious and picked the more expensive cable to sound the best everytime. Obviously it depends how revealing your kit is and pointless spending a lot unless you plan to upgrade in the near future

Of course...I do this all the time with my gf who does not understand much on hi-fi but really impresses me every time she explains me what she can hear as it is indeed not at all far from what I think. Yesterday night she could tell me 3 times which one was the combination she liked the most and was always the same...

Again, we need to compare potatoes with potatoes. Nobody mentioned MP3, I never use any MP3 but only lossless files and Studio Master and I do not have an entry level system at home. Of course with an MP3 reader and a budget system I wouldn't even think about swapping cables...

Exactly it's all relative... At work I have some logitech speakers and sub and can happily rock out too 320 mp3's and lossless is hardly noticable. Then on my Cambridge audio £750ish setup CD's sounds much better/fuller than mp3's.. Then going to my new setup I use FLACs through my streamer althogh on electronic music (subfocus mainly) my mates iPhone sounded surprisingly good on 320 but this is due to the streamer bypassing the dac and amp in the phone etc.. I still bought it on CD as you can hear the difference :)

If your happy listening to music at that level mp3 or otherwise then thats fine carry on, but i don't see why people get bitter and tell everyone there is no difference in sound and it's all 'in your head' it's ridiculous.. I just sold my Cyrus pre/power to buy a cheaper Electrocompaniet integrated amp as the sound suits my taste so much more and I feel it's definatly a music lovers amp.. Lets it flow and just enjoy the message rather than being forced to anylise every thread. Money doesn't dictate how good something is it's down to your ear and what YOU think it's worth paying for... I don't plan on constantly trying to upgrade etc.. Once I get the sound i'm happy with I will leave it for many years..

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
retro_sussex said:
The_Lhc said:
retro_sussex said:
The_Lhc said:
retro_sussex said:

Woops, I seem to have touched a raw nerve here, calm down, life is too short to get upset.

You haven't touched anything and I'm not upset, as I said I hold no position on either side of this argument, I'm currently undecided as to whether speaker cables make any difference or not, I'm simply asking you to provide some examples of the evidence you claim supports your position so I can make my own mind up. Unfortunately you've done nothing but try to sidestep the question, so I have to conclude that you don't actually know of any such evidence and were in fact making it up, which is a shame.

A

Anonymous

The_Lhc said:
retro_sussex said:
The_Lhc said:
retro_sussex said:
The_Lhc said:
retro_sussex said:

You haven't touched anything and I'm not upset, as I said I hold no position on either side of this argument, I'm currently undecided as to whether speaker cables make any difference or not, I'm simply asking you to provide some examples of the evidence you claim supports your position so I can make my own mind up. Unfortunately you've done nothing but try to sidestep the question, so I have to conclude that you don't actually know of any such evidence and were in fact making it up, which is a shame.

OK if you can't do your own research, here is one of many articles on audio myths. (2eyespy.tripod.com/id3.html). There are many more. I have also conducted listening tests using teenagers who's hearing should be A1, using different components and interconnects at a 6th form college. Speakers were the main things that had a difference on audio quality followed by amplifiers, speaker interconnects made no difference on runs up to 10m. in the £10 to £80 range.

Don't get upset reading it, put some calming music on your music player and open a cold beer.

I also don't believe in fairies. :cheers:

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
retro_sussex said:
The_Lhc said:
retro_sussex said:
The_Lhc said:
retro_sussex said:
The_Lhc said:
retro_sussex said:

OK if you can't do your own research, here is one of many articles on audio myths. (2eyespy.tripod.com/id3.html). There are many more. I have also conducted listening tests using teenagers who's hearing should be A1, using different components and interconnects at a 6th form college. Speakers were the main things that had a difference on audio quality followed by amplifiers, speaker interconnects made no difference on runs up to 10m. in the £10 to £80 range.

Don't get upset reading it, put some calming music on your music player and open a cold beer.
What part of "I have no opinion on the subject" don't you understand? I'd no more get upset by reading it than I would reading a geography textbook at school (although I did get upset reading The Mayor of Casterbridge for English as it's utter shite but that's a different matter).

A

Anonymous

:)
The_Lhc said:
retro_sussex said:
The_Lhc said:
retro_sussex said:
The_Lhc said:
retro_sussex said:
The_Lhc said:
retro_sussex said:

What part of "I have no opinion on the subject" don't you understand? I'd no more get upset by reading it than I would reading a geography textbook at school (although I did get upset reading The Mayor of Casterbridge for English as it's utter shite but that's a different matter).

Glad you've got a sense of humour. :) This was getting a bit heavy.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The_Lhc said:

Blimey, you aren't half wrong....I also had the misfortune to study it...truly depressing (make's 'stenders seem upbeat). :(

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
The_Lhc said:

Blimey, you aren't half wrong....I also had the misfortune to study it...truly depressing (make's 'stenders seem upbeat). :(

Odd, why does adding the word "half" there make it sound like you're disagreeing with me, when in fact you aren't? Strange...

Anyway, our critique of that book was supposed to make up the last 25% of our GCSE coursework folder, I hated the book so much I told the teacher I was prepared to lose the 25% if it meant I didn't have to look at it for another minute! Wasn't much they could do, I'd already been on report for 2 years at that point and they knew I was dropping the subject and concentrating on sciences for A-level. I still got a "C" for English Lit, that was all I wanted.

It's the only book I would cheerfully burn without a moment's regret, abominable!

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
CnoEvil said:
The_Lhc said:

Odd, why does adding the word "half" there make it sound like you're disagreeing with me, when in fact you aren't? Strange...

Anyway, our critique of that book was supposed to make up the last 25% of our GCSE coursework folder, I hated the book so much I told the teacher I was prepared to lose the 25% if it meant I didn't have to look at it for another minute! Wasn't much they could do, I'd already been on report for 2 years at that point and they knew I was dropping the subject and concentrating on sciences for A-level. I still got a "C" for English Lit, that was all I wanted.

It's the only book I would cheerfully burn without a moment's regret, abominable!

I'm not a great fan of Hardy and the book isn't cheerful (it is a tragedy after all!) but it seems a weird attitude to take to it that you can't analyse it because you don't like it.
smiley-surprised.gif

Chris

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The_Lhc said:

Whereas, if you weren't half right, I would be disagreeing with you.....even stranger!

Amiko03 said:
Thank you for your reply and valuable input, I really appreciate it! Would something like this do the job well in your opinion?

http://www.conrad.ch/ce/de/product/602025/?Lautsprecherkabel-Extra-Quality-abgepackt-2-x-4-mm-10-m

Thanks!

Hi Amik03

Your welcome.

Yes, this speaker cable will be more then good enough for your system.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Covenanter said:
The_Lhc said:
The_Lhc said:
although I did get upset reading The Mayor of Casterbridge for English as it's utter shite but that's a different matter.

I'm not a great fan of Hardy and the book isn't cheerful (it is a tragedy after all!) but it seems a weird attitude to take to it that you can't analyse it because you don't like it.
smiley-surprised.gif

"Can't" isn't the right word, of course I could have done, "flatly refusing to waste any more of my precious life reading or writing about this dreadful dreary rubbish" would be the right word (well, it would probably be one word in German at any rate...). To analyse it I would have had to continue reading it and I simply wasn't prepared to do that.

I was the polar opposite of another lad in our class on that occasion though, the brief was 8 sides of A4, to be handed in the following week, he went home and disappeared for THREE weeks and returned with 176 pages of A4! It was summarily rejected for failing to follow the requirements given at the start of the assignment! I must admit we laughed like hyenas, he was crushed (by the rejection, not us laughing I mean)...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Covenanter said:
.I'm not a great fan of Hardy and the book isn't cheerful (it is a tragedy after all!) but it seems a weird attitude to take to it that you can't analyse it because you don't like it.
smiley-surprised.gif

Chris

It's one thing reading it, it's another studying it in minute detail in order to pass an exam (O Level in my case).

So I can completely see where the The_Lhc is coming from. I didn't have the b@lls to go with the passive resistance angle....gave me a good laugh reading his post though!

A

Anonymous

Wow, strange that a simple request for advice on speaker cable selection can develop into a highly strung debate covering other type of interconnects and MP3 quality, with a bit of Hardy thrown in on the side!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
psijaka said:
Wow, strange that a simple request for advice on speaker cable selection can develop into a highly strung debate covering other type of interconnects and MP3 quality, with a bit of Hardy thrown in on the side!

That's what makes this place a little unique...you get used to it after a while. The upside is, no matter how obscure the question appears to be, you are likely to get an answer.

A

Anonymous

Yesterday was a dull wet day, this heated debate brightened the day up for me and I hope others reading it. It wouldn't do for us all to have the same views. I hope there are no hard feelings from those who disagree with my posts.

HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO ALL. :cheers:

A

Anonymous

No, my old company folded long before Comet, we obviously didn't sell enough of the expensive copper wire. :rofl:

Running a recording studio was much more fun. Retired now, and loving every minuet. :rockout:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts