New Xbox 21st May 6pm

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

manicm

From what I've read very recently it's actually not confirmed that a fee will be required to play secondhand games. And since the One is not backwards compatible it does not matter really as of now.

Also, about the whole Kinekt thing, well can't it be placed on the telly through a clip etc? To me it's also not really an issue - just unplug the Xbox if you don't want it on all the time! After all do you unplug your blu-ray players? And not even my CA751BD has a hard switch.

I say wait until the thing is actually released, see it and then decide. For me, depending on how decent a music and movie player they are, the One or PS4 could at once make things like the latest Oppos seem like last decade's news.

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
True manicm

I have been looking at the specs of PS4 and ok there seems to be (if they are true) an advantage to the graphic power of the PS4, though we need this comfirmed does anyone understand what the 32mb of esram will do for the xbox one? as its the same sort of thing that the Nintendo Wii U has

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Internet gaming sites are reporting that you will have to pay £35 to activate a pre-owned game.

Why would anyone want to pre-order a console now?

Surely you at least want to see what the early reviews are like?

Personally I'm more interested in seeing GTA V on the current gen.

£35 activation fee is never going to happen. I would ignore those reports.

This suggests that retailers and not players will have to pay a fee.

http://thenextweb.com/gadgets/2013/05/24/players-reportedly-wont-need-to-pay-an-activation-fee-to-play-used-xbox-one-games-retailers-will/

I would be more concerned if this report is true:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/408099/xbox-one-will-require-an-internet-connection-once-every-day/

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
£35 activation fee is never going to happen. I would ignore those reports. This suggests that retailers and not players will have to pay a fee. http://thenextweb.com/gadgets/2013/05/24/players-reportedly-wont-need-to-pay-an-activation-fee-to-play-used-xbox-one-games-retailers-will/ I would be more concerned if this report is true: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/408099/xbox-one-will-require-an-internet-connection-once-every-day/

Whats the problem with that? Your current xbox logs in online everytime you turn on anyway. What Microsoft are doing is taking things one step further and want to check people are not modified there xbox and play copied games, i like the way everyone keeps pointing out the negatives all the time just like mobile phones when 99.9% of the people that use these products are never ever going to be affected, But all of a sunden it becomes an issue.

Not to mention no one has actually tried the product for real to give real feedback

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
For an occasional gamer who won't switch the Xbox on everyday, this can be an issue, as people think Microsoft can deactivate your purchased games if you don't log in everyday.

Not likely. Seeing as the largest demographic for games consoles is older working people I would imagine that many people (me included) certainly don't switch the machine on every day.

Once a day authentication if true would simply mean that you would need to reauthenticate if you had not played in 24 hours.

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
fr0g said:
bigboss said:
For an occasional gamer who won't switch the Xbox on everyday, this can be an issue, as people think Microsoft can deactivate your purchased games if you don't log in everyday.

Not likely. Seeing as the largest demographic for games consoles is older working people I would imagine that many people (me included) certainly don't switch the machine on every day.

Once a day authentication if true would simply mean that you would need to reauthenticate if you had not played in 24 hours.

I took the article to mean that the console has to be connected to the Internet to work most efficiently (not that it has to be switched on once a day), which I think is because its designed to do some things automatically even while in stanby mode - have read elsewhere that they intend to do things like software updates in the background while the machine is in stand-by mode, rather than these having to be done when you turn the unit on to play a game as currently (which disrupts the user experience).

Elsewhere Microsoft have said that rumours of a compulsory 'always on' Internet connection are false. Its possible the apparent inconsistency is because console doesn't HAVE to be connected to the Internet in order to play a game, but the console will need a regular Internet connection to utilise all its features/capabilities. Only speculation at this stage though.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
landzw said:
Whats the problem with that? Your current xbox logs in online everytime you turn on anyway. What Microsoft are doing is taking things one step further and want to check people are not modified there xbox and play copied games

The main aim is not to stop copied games - they are trying to get a big slice of the 2nd hand games market - or kill it off entirely.

They are going to charge a fee for a 2nd owner to install the game - which is fine if the copy is still running on the old machine (to stop copying), but outrageous if the game has been uninstalled and is being sold on.

You buy a game for £50 and in a normal world you might sell if for £20 a year later.

Microsofts ploy is that whoever buys the used game, then has to pay an activation fee - possibly as high as the cost of the game. The end result - no 2nd hand market, so you wont be able to sell your old games.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
mr malarky said:
I took the article to mean that the console has to be connected to the Internet to work most efficiently (not that it has to be switched on once a day), which I think is because its designed to do some things automatically even while in stanby mode -

Which is exactly what my PS3 does now with a PSPlus account. Athough it switches on and switches off once done.

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
fr0g said:
mr malarky said:
I took the article to mean that the console has to be connected to the Internet to work most efficiently (not that it has to be switched on once a day), which I think is because its designed to do some things automatically even while in stanby mode -

Which is exactly what my PS3 does now with a PSPlus account. Athough it switches on and switches off once done.

Thants interesting, that makes you wonder

I cannot see them trying to kill off the second hand market as it will come around to bite them a little later along the line as many people sell old game to buy new, it will mean alot of none A class games will be hit bad

Fuzzy Bear

Jan 19, 2009
Visit site
Just to be pedantic, has MS actually confirmed it will be able to play Blu-Ray movies?

So far I have only seen them say it has the drive which could be limited to games given their ever increasing size nowadays.

Easy to assume but if it could play Blu Ray movies they would surely mention it as a feature.

landzw said:
bigboss said:
According to this report, it will support 3D & 4K as well:

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/gizmo/209189122.html

I didn`t think the xbox was supporting 4K and 3D or you would of thought thats something they would of shown off

I think the primary focus of Xbox One launch was as a games console and not a blu ray player. If Xbox doesn't have and 3D or 4K games to show off, why will it make a noise about it? Considering that even the PS3 supports 3D, it'll be stupid for Xbox One to not support 3D at least. There's nothing lacking in the hardware to not support 3D & 4K.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
The Xbox One will support 4K video and photos - but not 4K games.

Both the XBox One and the PS4 are limited to 30fps at 4K due to HDMI 1.4a

The Xbox One would barely be able to hit 30fps anyway with its GPU. Games will only be upscaled from 1080p.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts