New Xbox 21st May 6pm

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Pelley

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
There were rumours a few months ago that pre-owned/2nd hand games would not be playable on the new xbox. Anyone know if this has been confirmed?

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Pelley said:
There were rumours a few months ago that pre-owned/2nd hand games would not be playable on the new xbox. Anyone know if this has been confirmed?

I've read suggestions you'll have to pay a fee to play pre-owned games, presumably via Xbox points, but not sure if this is confirmed yet.

manicm

I was preparing to get a new laptop next year if only to play the latest PC games (my current one is 5 years old and still serving me well - I've been able to play Diablo 3, SCII HOTS, even Mass Effect 3).

At 400 quid and no more, I will instead consider the Xbox One, flog my CA-751BD, and still save over a new PC. My current lappie will still serve my other needs well for a few more years.

The One may compromise my gaming as I'm more of an RTS/role-playing/adventure fan.

Still, my thinking is that the One will kill my gaming, music streaming and movie needs with one stone. Looking forward to this one!

manicm

I've come to find its monolithic, half-gloss, half-slatted design strangely appealing. I guess it lends the kit an air of seriousness about itself. My other guess is that Microsoft didn't want the overheating shenanigans of the 360.

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
As for the design its nothing special, though lets face it how many of us spend time looking at the actual console? The only time i look at it is when i turn it on and put a game into the drive the rest i`m playing or watching a film

As for this PS4 V`s Xbox one thing lets stop now, lets not go down the route like mobiles. Microsoft and Sony would of had a mutual agreement to keep both machines specs close together purley to keep from going out of control, as Microsoft could of bolted pretty much anything they like together from the current pc parts that are available.

Not to mention anyone who knows about PC`s and gaming mhz and clock speeds don't always mean its faster

Anyway as a hole package the Xbox One seems to cover alot of bases, and just think in the future being able to control your Sky box using the Xbox is going to be pretty handy

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
landzw said:
Anyway as a hole package the Xbox One seems to cover alot of bases, and just think in the future being able to control your Sky box using the Xbox is going to be pretty handy

That is true; at the moment I can only control my skybox with my sky remote, iPhone or iPad, which is nothing less than a living hell! ;)

Slooper

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Just finished watching the conference and like most people I am a little underwhelmed. The two main points that I dislike are:

1. Having to pay a fee for second hand games :O. Now I know that the whole developer community wants to find a way to remove the pre-owned market altogether, but if Microsoft do this then they are really shooting themselves in the foot. Especially if PS4 lets you play second hand games, then I think that Xbox One will be in trouble. I realise that microsoft haven't come out and said directly that this is the case (but they haven't denied it either), and any interviews that discuss this point seem to be very vague.

2. The other thing I don't like is having the Kinect 2 with it. Firstly I don't have any room for another peripheral in my AV rack, and secondly am I the only one who feels uncomfortable having a camera and microphone pointing at me everytime I use Xbox One?

I have had a 360 since day one, but if these two points do indeed turn out to be true, then PS4 will be my next purchase.

I just want a console to play the best games, not some multi-function multimedia device. IMO a console should be a games machine first and formost and so far PS4 seems to fit the bill far better that this next offering from Microsoft.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Slooper said:
and secondly am I the only one who feels uncomfortable having a camera and microphone pointing at me everytime I use Xbox One?

I agree with you. I've got the playstation eye and move on my PS3 - and while it was novel at first - now it just sits there gathering dust. Its like video calling - its never really caught on. Just like the webcam on my laptop, never used it, never going to.

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
mr malarky said:
landzw said:

That is true; at the moment I can only control my skybox with my sky remote, iPhone or iPad, which is nothing less than a living hell! ;)

:) True though i never like using my phone for other controllers, battery life is always an issue to me and using my phone to control my Sky box and having to leave wifi on the phone might as well be plugged in all day.

I like the idea of using tablet but it bugs the life out of me it doesnt control everything e.g. TV , Sky Box, Xbox, Blueray player ( though its nearly there) the fact of having to switch between apps bugs the life out of me as you still need to pick up the remote to do other things

I did use the Xbox 360 kinect for awhile to search the web and look for films extra which worked pretty well though the good old controller is still needed to complete everything so in the end i sold the kinect on

i admit it could workout to be fun at first and die a death fast, for me it needs to do all including volume on tv, change channels on the PVR etc to a point i never have to touch another controller again or the kinect will just be put away

I also think you are going to find looking at the going trend with the second hand game market is, if you buy the game new you will get your online pass, a second hand game you will have to buy an online pass regardless of game, this seems to be happening on the PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 more and more

If they stopped you from playing second hand games people would be even more careful buying games which the developers would not want

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Would recommend the sky app on an iPad or other tablet, mainly because one of you can browse channels and cue up programmes to be recorded without having an impact on what the other night be watching on the screen (no more peering at the 'mini-screen' in the corner while your partner takes ages to devise what she wants to watch!).

Suspect your right about pre-owned games, developers have been desperate to find a way of getting revenue from pre-owned games for years, and an online license requirement seems the easiest way for them to do it (with the blow no doubt softened by 'free' downloads of extra levels/weapons etc).

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I have tried the iPad app and it works well, its a shame you cannot stream stuff from your sky box to your iPad, i tend to use the computer to search for listing and recordings

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
i'm a little worried some people paying up the full £400 online for the Xbox One when there is still such a wait before release

landzw said:
i'm a little worried some people paying up the full £400 online for the Xbox One when there is still such a wait before release

I don't think Zavvi is taking money from credit cards. According ot their T&Cs:

"Payment can be made by any major credit or debit card or via your PayPal account. Payment will be debited and cleared from your account before the dispatch of your good or provision of the service to you. If payment is to be made via a credit card a pre-auth value of £0.01 will be held against the card until the card issuer validates the payment."

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I had looked at that Bigboss and its unclear when they would take the money, reading that to me they can take the money at any point if they so wish

its a little to unclear for me

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Personally I wouldn't worry about pre-ordering for either the xbox or the PS4; stakes are high for both companies this time round as sales of console games are falling (excluding tripple-A titles) and the cash cow is getting thinner, so neither side can risk losing 'round 1' by not getting enough stock into the stores before christmas.

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Matthew1974 said:
Were it not for the fact it can't play 360 games I would have ordered this in an instant.

Its funny i have thought the same in the past but not once have i wanted to take a step back to play old games once i had the new machine, not only that i think with the PS3 and 360 have been around for so long for a cheap price they are going to be almost worthless so for me i will proberbly end up keeping my old xbox to use in another room for my son

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts