New Xbox 21st May 6pm

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
ontheline said:
will the new xbox play old xbox games?

Don't remember them mentioning that specifically, though the WHF article on the News page says it won't and I'd be amazed if they did include this. Why would you want to though? If you've got old games, you've presumably got the old console?

ontheline

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
professorhat said:
ontheline said:

Don't remember them mentioning that specifically, though the WHF article on the News page says it won't and I'd be amazed if they did include this. Why would you want to though? If you've got old games, you've presumably got the old console?

really gutted if they don't. yes i have the old console and the old games but would have sold the old console if was able to play the old games on the new console which im looking to buy anyway.

ontheline

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
ontheline said:
professorhat said:
ontheline said:

really gutted if they don't. yes i have the xbox 360 and the 360 games but would have sold the old console (xbox 360 ) if was able to play the 360 games on the new console which im looking to buy anyway, that way the one box could have done it all now i'll need to keep space for the 360.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Fraid you won't be able to then (if WHF's story is correct) - not that it would be worth that much then of course.

For me the idea of playing the old games has always gone out the window when a new console has arrived - they don't get a look in even though I tend to keep the old consoles.

ontheline

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
xbox one looks great and prob buy it but that is the worst possible thing that it simply can't play the 360 games. i have loads of 360 games bought still to play and now everyone with large collections of 360 games will have to keep an old xbox if they want to plat or replay the great titles they have collected over the years, so pointless having the 360 games without the console. i have a tv stand with 2 shelves so looks as if it's gonna be xbox one on one shelf and 360 on other shelf instead of something else like ps4 or 3d player or sky box.

ontheline

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
i would sell my xbox with games right now on ebay before you sweety money for it if it wasnt for the new grand theft auto coming out and also still playing classics like bioshock infinite and gta 4 BIOSHOCK will still stand the test of time to the new xbox

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
ontheline said:
xbox one looks great and prob buy it but that is the worst possible thing that it simply can't play the 360 games. i have loads of 360 games bought still to play and now everyone with large collections of 360 games will have to keep an old xbox if they want to plat or replay the great titles they have collected over the years, so pointless having the 360 games without the console. i have a tv stand with 2 shelves so looks as if it's gonna be xbox one on one shelf and 360 on other shelf instead of something else like ps4 or 3d player or sky box.

Agreed, could be a school boy error by Microsoft on this one. I'll be honest, I'll buy one anyway because I'm a sucker for new console hardware (as I suspect many of us are on this forum), but I reckon in the first year or two following launch this will deter a lot of potential buyers who would otherwise have taken the plunge.

Eventually it won't matter, and they'll be helped by the fact the Wii-U has turned out to be a bit of a dud, but will be interesting to see what Sony now do in respect of backwards comparability with the PS4.

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Also, it has to be said that is one ugly looking console - basically, a black box.

If they paid the designer much more than a tenner they were well & truly done!

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Sounds interesting.

I have a couple of PS3s and am hoping to upgrade. The XBox one is in the running as it has Blu Ray.

Couldn't give a hoot about backward compatibility and I doubt PS4 will be (PS3 wasn't fully on launch and isn't at all now).

Why would they? They sell the console at cost or less and NEED people to buy the games.

In fact, lack of backward compatibility for me is a PLUS (It means no money has been spent on it when it could be spent where it's more useful)

Let's see which is first...That may very well be the difference for me.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
fr0g said:
In fact, lack of backward compatibility for me is a PLUS (It means no money has been spent on it when it could be spent where it's more useful)

Have to agree - always seems to be one some people consider "must have", but I suspect many people buy for the new console and features and tend not to worry about backwards compatability. As well as this, the old consoles generally keep selling at a lower price for a while, so Sony and Microsoft want to still be able to keep those sales going as well, given they'll likely be making better margin there.

fr0g said:
Let's see which is first...That may very well be the difference for me.

I think the Xbox One is coming out first, with the PS4 out for Christmas. Mind you, whether that will be worldwide or just in Japan / US like last time remains to be seen...

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
I'll be going with the Xbox, for two reasons:

1) Halo

2) the controller (the Dual Shock gives me 'crab hands' after more than a couple of hours).

Used to support both platforms but used the PS3 so rarely I ended up selling it a few months ago.

ontheline

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
seriously tho i love xbox and have owned one always over the playstation but i think the new ps is gonna wipe the floor with the xbox one.

xbox one thinks it's amazing cause it has blu ray on board, bit late sony has already had this years ago and the new ps will prob have 4K and overall i think the new ps is gonna be way ahead of it's time copmared to xbox.

ps will also look better than than that ghastly piece of shunk, where as sony known sony will have a few remarkable plans up their sleeves to triumphant over xbox this time around, although i still love xbox but think this generation sony is gonna rule.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
mr malarky said:
I'll be going with the Xbox, for two reasons:

1) Halo

2) the controller (the Dual Shock gives me 'crab hands' after more than a couple of hours).

Used to support both platforms but used the PS3 so rarely I ended up selling it a few months ago.

I know I am in a minority, but I prefer the PS3 controller. I mainly play FIFA these days and the guy I play often with at each others place has an XBOX. The XBOX controller is too fat and I prefer the flatter trigger buttons on the PS3 :)

Weirdly too, my thumbs slip more on the concave but plastic buttons of the XBOX controller...I prefer the rubbery convex PS3 buttons :)

It isn't a deal breaker though. Although it will annoy me having to pay to be online with the XBOX.

ontheline

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
conclusion - PS4 for 65 4k TV

and keep the poor old new xbox one for the wee 32 inch bedroom TV to show off it's latest (just new) blu ray technolgy.

prob only buy xbox for it's exclusive games as who already doesn't have blu ray, millions already do. a voice thingy is nothing completely new, and the design of the xbox really is pretty pathetic, compared to the curves of the sony.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts