How To New Windows 11 PC

podknocker

Just bought a Lenovo Ideacentre 3i from Currys. Decent price and it works, but I cannot choose my monitor's native display resolution of 3440x1440 via the HDMI output. This is the only one available, apart from the crappy VGA socket. I was using a cheap HDMI cable and tried a newer one, which cost £20 and I still cannot see the required resolution, in display settings. Every time I switch on the PC, my screen reminds me to use 3440x1440 for the best results etc. My work PC is fine, with this screen, via Displayport. I've also tried HDMI to Displayport cable, into the screen's DP socket. I also tried 50Hz refresh, rather than the default 60Hz. The screen is a Philips Brilliance 346P1C and looks great with the work PC, but on my new Lenovo, I have to choose a HIGHER resolution of 3840x2160 and it's squeezing and stretching and squashing the image and it's looking a right mess. I have to scale at 200% in order to see websites, otherwise I'm squinting at them, as I do with my 17" Dell laptop. This has now become the streaming device to my Audiolab Omnia and I rarely use it for anything else. Does anyone know why a new i5 CPU's onboard graphics and new HDMI cable, would not allow me to use the screen's native resolution, when an older chip, on my work PC, is OK? I've worked in IT, for over 20 years and I'm struggling.

Last edited:

abacus

Could be the graphics chip is not up to the job, the drivers need updating or the monitor is not sending the correct codes to be identified, have you loaded the monitor driver to see if this solves the problem.
Also make sure you are using the latest drivers, and that there is no Lenovo Bloatware causing the problem.
Apart from the above check with Lenovo to see if it supports the resolution you require.

Bill

podknocker

All apps/software and drivers up to date. The onboard graphics are much newer and better silicon, than the ones in my HP mini PC, from about 5 years ago. It's strange. I'm wondering if HDMI 1.4 is not up to the job, where the older Display port, on my HP work PC is OK. I thought a better spec cable would do it, but no. Looks like I have a new PC for browsing and all the other stuff will be really annoying. Using iplayer, All4, film, movie, video files, everything is squashed. Technology can be so annoying! I will ask around, perhaps speak to Lenovo, via the ever so friendly built in app! Thanks though Bill.

abacus

Try Settings,
System,
Display,
Advanced Display,
Display Adaptor Properties for Display,
then click the list all modes button in the box that appears tosee if your resolution is available from there. (If not then you are probably out of luck)

Bill

Reactions: jjbomber

podknocker

Done all that fella! Have to get a single slot graphics card, with mini DP ports and see if that works. It should do and I will get a bit more grunt etc. Worked in IT for 21 years now and it still amazes me how much stuff doesn't work how you expect it to.

podknocker

Finally found the product spec sheet, hidden deep in the bowels of Lenovo's archives and it does appear to be a limitation of HDMI 1.4b. Maximum resolution is 1920x1080 and using that resolution, it does make it all look a bit chunky. I'll need HDMI 2.0 or Displayport 1.4 to give me the native resolution of my screen, which is 3440x1440 so it looks like more expense, with a discrete graphics card. Thankfully, the B660 chipset motherboard has a PCIe 4 x16 slot, so should take anything currently available. It will need to be single slot though and there are very few out there.

podknocker

HDMI 1.4 should give me 3440x1440 but for some reason, Lenovo have decided to limit the resolution to 1920x1080 on this model. I opened up the PC and there's no graphics slot! I'll have to keep it as a spare, if my Dell laptop gives up the ghost.

Friesiansam

HDMI 1.4 should give me 3440x1440 but for some reason, Lenovo have decided to limit the resolution to 1920x1080 on this model. I opened up the PC and there's no graphics slot! I'll have to keep it as a spare, if my Dell laptop gives up the ghost.
Is the resolution limited in Windows or in the bios? If the former, perhaps you can fix it with a clean install of Windows.

Last edited:

podknocker

It's a new PC and only been on a few hours, since I bought it, back in November. It's all up to date etc. As I mentioned above, I found the Lenovo product reference spec sheet and this does confirm the output is 1920x1080 (and 1920x1200 on VGA, which I'll never use). They've restricted the resolution, for whatever reason AND not provided an upgrade path. £349 and I thought it was a bargain. It will do as a spare. I do like the new small factors, but getting a slim one, with the option of adding a graphics card, is tricky. There are Intel NUCs and several other brands, but they're all using on board graphics. I have checked several and the max resolution is enough, but I'm going to wait until DDR5 and a few other specs appear in SFF PCs. I should have checked this on the Lenovo, before I bought it from Currys. I knew HDMI 1.4 would be fine, but I didn't realise Lenovo had their own ideas. Live and learn!

Last edited:

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
trying to work out why we have Windows 11 Microsoft said some years back there would never been another operative system it would all be from the "net" Now they have "11" why exactly why they doing ity ? so people have to change there computers and the PC companies would almost go bust if it was not for the Windows system continuing

abacus

cannot see the point of upgrading yet Windows 11 will be full of holes that have to be blocked and a number of upgrades

Windows 11 has been out ages and is now as stable as any OS, however make sure all your hardware is supported by it first. (You can roll back to windows 10 if you run into problems)
NOTE: Windows 10 will be supported until 2025 so no need to rush to upgrade (Windows 11 is way better than Windows 10 though).
All new computers have also had it as standard for ages.

Bill

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
Windows 11 has been out ages and is now as stable as any OS, however make sure all your hardware is supported by it first. (You can roll back to windows 10 if you run into problems)
NOTE: Windows 10 will be supported until 2025 so no need to rush to upgrade (Windows 11 is way better than Windows 10 though).
All new computers have also had it as standard for ages.

Bill
The problem was the same when upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 memory had to be 8 gig as a minimum . Sorry to say the whole thing is a "right con" forcing poorer people to get rid of there older windows 10 PCs my own is ex Windows 7 upgraded to windows 10 . Microsoft decided to do this . because they know there new Windows 11 will be in every PC . Is it stable i think not ? still have the same problem with spy ware . Microsoft should put spyware and other nasties built in for free. Now i cannot upgrade as my software i use cannot use Windows 11 . Yet my TV can run the internet ( like all now) so why do we need Windows 11 for surfing , we dont is the answer ( and sending emails

abacus

The problem was the same when upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 memory had to be 8 gig as a minimum . Sorry to say the whole thing is a "right con" forcing poorer people to get rid of there older windows 10 PCs my own is ex Windows 7 upgraded to windows 10 . Microsoft decided to do this . because they know there new Windows 11 will be in every PC . Is it stable i think not ? still have the same problem with spy ware . Microsoft should put spyware and other nasties built in for free. Now i cannot upgrade as my software i use cannot use Windows 11 . Yet my TV can run the internet ( like all now) so why do we need Windows 11 for surfing , we dont is the answer ( and sending emails

If you don't want spyware from the off then the only option is a Linux Distro, which from your reply may suit you better. (You can run Linux off a USB to try it out)
There are a number of programs available that will disable spyware on Windows and Mac, or you can follow the guides to do it manually.
I switched over to Win 11 about 12 months ago after running it in tandem with Win 10 for about 6 months, and I don't use a new OS as my prime PC until I know it is as stable as any OS can be.

Bill

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
i dont understand linux ands then there is software i use it is for windows only ie OPENSPOT and other various amateur radio software i use and MACs not compatible either. If i could use openspot and other software i have go via the TV i would

DCarmi

If that is SharkRF OPENSPOT then I think it runs on Linux (from a quick Google). Lots of Windows applications can run on Linux these days, using WINE. How well they work does depend on each app. There are several HAM radio apps listed but it is not a field I play in.

Last edited by a moderator:

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
If that is SharkRF OPENSPOT then I think it runs on Linux (from a quick Google). Lots of Windows applications can run on Linux these days, using WINE. How well they work does depend on each app. There are several HAM radio apps listed but it is not a field I play in.
thanks for the info on "Wine "

Last edited by a moderator:

DCarmi

One further point. If your PC started off with Windows 7, it is probably pushing 10 years old (Windows 8 came out in 2013). Unless you have been upgrading components regularly there would be a decent risk of e.g. an HDD failure. It's about 1 in 10 after 4 years. I've certainly had HDDs last 10 years, so it is not a hard a fast rule.

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
just lost one old PC was a Windows 7 this one is okay but running out of space and does not like 512 gig USBs for some reason. Mybe because of the lack of HDD left ie 18 gigs However i do have a Lap top 8 gig 500hdd again converted from Windows 7 and has plenty left but slower than the base unit

DCarmi

Not sure what "lost" means. If the machines fails to boot it is likely to be a component failure and the drive would be my first suspect. If it does boot (and it sounds like it does) you should be able to run chkdsk to detect and try to fix drive problems.

You can try booting the PC into safe mode if it will only partially boot (e.g. blue screen of death).

You can probably free up a chunk of diskspace by removing temporary files that Windows likes to collect. A search engine will point you in the right direction. You could also remove any programs and data you no longer use.

Not sure about the USB problem. You would need to check device manager and drive manager to investigate (and maybe also the Windows logs). It could be a driver problem relating to a damaged HDD, which would be fixable.

It is conceivable the problem is with the USB drive, itself. If you have tested it in the other PC and it failed then that may well be the case. Without knowing what error the PC thinks there is, it is difficult to say. There are a lot of fake USB drives, depending where you source them from.

If you have data you need to recover from a dead PC then there are ways it can be done. Again a search engine will point you in that direction.

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts