New vinyls and noise issues

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
luckylion100 said:
the promise of next day delivery after unwittingly signing up to Prime makes purchases I'd normally think twice about and ultimately ignore all the more attractive.

Perhaps unwittingly cancelling Prime might be the solution?

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
That's not an option. Its a one off payment, not monthly fee.

I've since used the service to at least convince myself that I'm getting my moneys worth. I however will not be renewing when the yeat is up. Like I said I've spent too much on impulsive buying.

D

Deleted member 108165

thescarletpronster said:
I think the main problem is that most of the expertise in mastering, cutting and pressing records, as well as the equipment, was lost in the years when vinyl more or less disappeared from the market. Records are, according to an article I read last year, now being pressed in many cases on machines which are well past their useful life-span and are being kept working with all sort of desperate repairs, and in some cases by people without that much expertise. Quality control also seems a problem - I get a lot of records which have been scratched inside the sleeves as grit has found its way in. Not a problem I remember in the 'old days'.

Agreed. I think I may have read the same article as you.

D

Deleted member 108165

MajorFubar said:
Definitely stylus shape, and definitely some carts give a higher surface noise than others. There isn't as far as I can see a link to whether a cart is MM or MC, other than most of the best carts in the world seem to be MC so they will usually be fitted with the most advanced styli. However there are additional factors. Because a low output MC cart needs 10x the amplication (or more) of a MM, there is also a greater chance it could highlight deficiencies elsewhere in the system, such as mains hum and a higher noise floor in the phono stage.

Thank you Major *good*

MajorFubar said:
DougK said:
Another question: MM and MC, is there a difference regarding the audio reproduction produced by these two approaches, ie, are the sufferers of high surface noise running MM carts in their systems? Does MC have a lower surface noise compared to MM? Also could stylus shape have a bearing on surface noise by either introducing or masking noise successfully?

Definitely stylus shape, and definitely some carts give a higher surface noise than others. There isn't as far as I can see a link to whether a cart is MM or MC, other than most of the best carts in the world seem to be MC so they will usually be fitted with the most advanced styli. However there are additional factors. Because a low output MC cart needs 10x the amplication (or more) of a MM, there is also a greater chance it could highlight deficiencies elsewhere in the system, such as mains hum and a higher noise floor in the phono stage.

Another good advert, from the Major, for moving up to moving coil cartridges... :)

To be honest he does have a point. If you are thinking of moving over then do not even consider it on anything less than a £400 budget (which would buy you a very, very nice moving magnet).

D

Deleted member 108165

Al ears said:
Another good advert, from the Major, for moving up to moving coil cartridges... :)

To be honest he does have a point. If you are thinking of moving over then do not even consider it on anything less than a £400 budget (which would buy you a very, very nice moving magnet).

I am more than happy with MM at the moment, (MP300), plus there's still plenty of other carts to explore in the upper echelons of the MM market. A move to MC would require a major investment to achieve a desired upgrade so I'll stay put at present.

DougK said:
Al ears said:

I am more than happy with MM at the moment, (MP300), plus there's still plenty of other carts to explore in the upper echelons of the MM market. A move to MC would require a major investment to achieve a desired upgrade so I'll stay put at present.

Good to hear. There are plenty of 'higher end' moving magnets available that will give better results than a similarly priced moving coil and these negate the need to then buy extras in the way of external phono preamps or step-up transformers. I mentioned a figure of £400 but, to be honest, you would need to spend a good deal more than this when you factor in the extrea kit on top of the cartridge.

Speaking of which I note, with some anazement that someone is selling MP500's on Amazon for £490...... thought they were more like £680 these days.

matthewpiano

I've found new vinyl hit and miss over the last couple of years but my recent experiences have been that consistency is settling down. I've bought quite a lot of new vinyl in recent months and I haven't had a bad pressing, even when you include the coloured ones.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
I've found new vinyl hit and miss over the last couple of years but my recent experiences have been that consistency is settling down. I've bought quite a lot of new vinyl in recent months and I haven't had a bad pressing, even when you include the coloured ones.

Nice to "hear" it..
thumbs_up.gif
I also think that much depends on the TT quality.

D

Deleted member 108165

Al ears said:
Speaking of which I note, with some anazement that someone is selling MP500's on Amazon for £490...... thought they were more like £680 these days.

That is sure cheap, actually smells a bit fishy to me but the seller has an excellent rating, (but only based on 128 reviews). UK price is between £675-£690.

Due to the strengthening Yen our friendly Japanese supplier (audiokazu) has closed his online shop now, (but is still available on facebook).

DougK said:
Al ears said:

That is sure cheap, actually smells a bit fishy to me but the seller has an excellent rating, (but only based on 128 reviews). UK price is between £675-£690.

Due to the strengthening Yen our friendly Japanese supplier (audiokazu) has closed his online shop now, (but is still available on facebook).

Fishier than a kipper but a real bargain if kosher.

There are other sellers in Japan ;-)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts