New vinyl on Provogue label

Be wary. Just got my copy of Joe Bonamassa and Beth Hart 'Black Coffee', disc one was fine but disc two so warped it was unplayable. This is the worst I have encountered in a long time. It will be going back to Amazon.

This is possibility one of the worst I have seen from any label via any dealer for along while.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:
Be wary. Just got my copy of Joe Bonamassa and Beth Hart 'Black Coffee', disc one was fine but disc two so warped it was unplayable. This is the worst I have encountered in a long time. It will be going back to Amazon.

What are the runout etchings? That might help work out which pressing/manufacturing plant was responsible.

thescarletpronster said:
Al ears said:

What are the runout etchings? That might help work out which pressing/manufacturing plant was responsible.

Unsure as already packaged for return. Not sure exactly how this would be helpful anyway unless people know exactly where their LP is coming from, and most don't.

I don't see withering bad storage by Amazon as disc one was perfectly flat. Recording was excellent as well, pity I couldn't play disc two. :)

Provogue is part of the Dutsch Mascot Label Group but where they press I cannot determine.

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
Must be a one-off, Al, both of my discs are perfectly flat, as are the two discs of Blues of Desperation. Hopefully the replacements will be as good as they should be. There's some great music on there.

GeoffreyW said:
Must be a one-off, Al, both of my discs are perfectly flat, as are the two discs of Blues of Desperation. Hopefully the replacements will be as good as they should be. There's some great music on there.

Let's hope so. First vinyl I have had on this label as all my other albums from them are on CD. What's strange is it's only disc 2.

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
Presumably the discs were pressed on different presses, combined with less than perfect quality control? I had a similar situation, from a different source, but disc 2 was playable, with only minor warp, so I kept it.

Anyway, fingers crossed, Al.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Rule No 1 - think before you order Vinyls from Amazon. They sometimes pack Vinyls in a plastic bag ! Amazon is a company that thrives on retoures in many cases and earns on this having a laugh. Or choose Amazon as the last resort when have no choice. Not saying that the company is a total no-go but I have read many bad reviews with orders. Of course warped LPs can also come from Pressing Plants too and put in distribution to another companies like Amazon. So who the culprit is , it is hard to say...

stereoman said:
Rule No 1 - think before you order Vinyls from Amazon. They sometimes pack Vinyls in a plastic bag ! Amazon is a company that thrives on retoures in many cases and earns on this having a laugh. Or choose Amazon as the last resort when have no choice. Not saying that the company is a total no-go but I have read many bad reviews with orders. Of course warped LPs can also come from Pressing Plants too and put in distribution to another companies like Amazon. So who the culprit is , it is hard to say...

I didn't intend to point fingers. Have received albums perfectly satisfactorily from Amazon in the past. Not too sure what plastic bags have to do with it as all albums tend to come in a plastic sleeve. It is unlikely Amazon handling /storage could lead to a warp in one disc only.

And it's vinyl not vinyls....... ;-)

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Al ears said:
stereoman said:

I didn't intend to point fingers. Have received albums perfectly satisfactorily from Amazon in the past. Not too sure what plastic bags have to do with it as all albums tend to come in a plastic sleeve. It is unlikely Amazon handling /storage could lead to a warp in one disc only.

I am probably a bad man because I do point fingers but only in such cases of shop orders not general in life. I got a few warped Vinyl and it is mega frustrating as I do not wish spend my time on sending them back. That is why I try to buy Vinyl from shop when possible or trusted online shops.

Thanks I was taking a look at online dictionaries and many say Vinyls. Thanks for correction. And by the way there is a petition to change the name to Vinyls.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/de/worterbuch/englisch/vinyl

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Al ears said:
stereoman said:

I am probably a bad man because I do point fingers but only in such cases of shop orders not general in life. I got a few warped Vinyl and it is mega frustrating as I do not wish spend my time on sending them back. That is why I try to buy Vinyl from shop when possible or trusted online shops.

Thanks I was taking a look at online dictionaries and many say Vinyls. Thanks for correction. And by the way there is a petition to change the name to Vinyls.

stereoman said:
Al ears said:
stereoman said:

:)

They will be petitioning the change the word sheep next.

I would love to buy all my vinyl from a shop but unfortunately that would entail a long drive these days.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
As Al said, it's unlikely that the warp was due to storage/transit as the other disc was flat. It's more likely a manufacturing problem, which is why I asked about identifying the pressing plant by the runout etchings – it's more useful, in my opinion, to know which pressing plants to avoid rather than flagging individual labels that might sometimes use those plants.

Al ears said:

Actually it's 'records'.... vinyl is just the material. [sticks tongue out]

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Al ears said:
stereoman said:
Al ears said:
stereoman said:

:)

They will be petitioning the change the word sheep next.

I would love to buy all my vinyl from a shop but unfortunately that would entail a long drive these days.

lol...sheep(s) please noooo. I can withstand Vinyl(s) but sheeps no. ;) Yes, I mean most of the time I also must order from online shops. Just think that chains that sell everything can have worse quality. I can understand faulty products and have no problems with retoure sometimes but warped Vinyl drive me mad...Also when a company or a pressing plant is not alarmed of faulty pressings ( in this case better to inform a distibutor ) then the quality is being overlooked and such carried on. A case with Universal and "Back 2 Black" label where Universal takes "B2B" into the distribution and "B2B" have issues with quality. So Universal should supervise "B2B" or be informed of the "B2B" quality issues. Just like Amazon should supervise the other labels but Amazon is too big and chaotic for doing this....unfortunately.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
thescarletpronster said:
As Al said, it's unlikely that the warp was due to storage/transit as the other disc was flat. It's more likely a manufacturing problem, which is why I asked about identifying the pressing plant by the runout etchings – it's more useful, in my opinion, to know which pressing plants to avoid rather than flagging individual labels that might sometimes use those plants.

Al ears said:

Actually it's 'records'.... vinyl is just the material. [sticks tongue out]

*blum3* ok let it be records. For the pressing plants, exactly the quality supervision is terrible sometimes. But it is strange that some small cut plants make so great sounding records whereas others do not give a damn...

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
Al, I've just had a look at the runout grooves on my copies of Blues if Desperation and Black Coffee, and other than the album number, they both have MPO, with what looks like a reversed 6.

B o D also has SSO. MW etched in.

Don't know if this helps identify the pressing plant.

Oh, I have the red vinyl.

GeoffreyW said:
Al, I've just had a look at the runout grooves on my copies of Blues if Desperation and Black Coffee, and other than the album number, they both have MPO, with what looks like a reversed 6.

Thanks. Mine was black and has gone back for a refund.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
They know that over 50 percent of LP purchases are never played and that the majority of the remainder are played on Crosleys (or Ions) by people who care more about appearing to play them as part of a lifestyle statement. I speculate that returned items from people like yourselves will be minimal.

chebby said:
They know that over 50 percent of LP purchases are never played and that the majority of the remainder are played on Crosleys (or Ions) by people who care more about appearing to play them as part of a lifestyle statement. I speculate that returned items from people like yourselves will be minimal.

I am aware that this may be the case however I am certain those very few pressing plants left do not treat the objects you intend playing their offerings on with anything more than utmost care. There are a few slip through the quality control net for sure but I am not convinced this happens on a regular basis.

This is the only LP that I have bought in the last ten years that was unplayable on my system.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
GeoffreyW said:

Thanks, that's useful. MPO is usually one of the better pressing plants, but I guess nobody's perfect!

The other marks might be a mastering/cutting engineer's signature, but that won't be the person to blame for a warped disc. Are you sure it's not 'SST MW'? That's an engineer at SST Brüggemann mastering house in Germany.

I know this stuff is super-nerdy, but it can be helpful in knowing which plants to avoid and which give the best results, as sadly with so much expertise lost over the past 25 years, mastering and pressing quality has become a bit of a lottery.

There's a really useful list of common runout etchings on Discogs, which is what I refer to.

Anyway, Al, I hope your next copy is in tippy top shape and gives you hours of listening pleasure.

thescarletpronster said:
GeoffreyW said:

Thanks, that's useful. MPO is usually one of the better pressing plants, but I guess nobody's perfect!

The other marks might be a mastering/cutting engineer's signature, but that won't be the person to blame for a warped disc. Are you sure it's not 'SST MW'? That's an engineer at SST Brüggemann mastering house in Germany.

I know this stuff is super-nerdy, but it can be helpful in knowing which plants to avoid and which give the best results, as sadly with so much expertise lost over the past 25 years, mastering and pressing quality has become a bit of a lottery.

There's a really useful list of common runout etchings on Discogs, which is what I refer to.

Anyway, Al, I hope your next copy is in tippy top shape and gives you hours of listening pleasure.

My thanks to you sir. However, most of this information would become known to the purchaser after the fact and, as you say, warped discs can happen whoever did the pressing. I, unfortunately, am unlikely to chance another LP to replace the original even though I really enjoyed disc1. Think I might be tempted to go CD here, loath that I am to say so.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts