The (incredibly) varied price of new vinyl!!

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Serves me right! I was in France over Easter and visited a "fnac" store (their equivalent of hmv, but much more professionally presented).

My trips to fnac usually end empty-handed, because the price of CDs etc in France are usually much higher than UK (approx €17 or £16 for a new CD release at current exchange rates).

Browsing their small vinyl section (at least they have one, hmv!) I came across a new wrapped copy of Paul Simon's new album "So Beautiful or So What" at only 16 Euros. As I had already picked up the fabulous 180g Jimi Hendrix Electric Ladyland double LP at 35 euros, and the Paul Simon had a slightly dog-eared corner, I decided to wait till I got back to UK to buy the Paul Simon - it must be cheaper here, no??

Anyway, amazon uk has it at £16.38 (3-5 week wait), hmv.com has it at £25.99 (release date 13th June. Really?), Simply Vinyl had no trace, and I don't know any other stores online or other to try (not in backtoblack or classiclps).

Anyone any ideas what's going on, or a reliable place to shop for new vinyl? It can't be that difficult to get hold of a new vinyl release from a major artist in a major market at a proper price, can it?? And why the difference in price (almost ten quid between amazon and hmv)?

(The Jimi Hendrix vinyl is simply mind-blowing, btw)

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I am not a vinyl expert by any mean but generally LP's price is very fair in UK. I was going order an LPfrom USA (Rumours 180g, 45, Simply re-isuue) but by the time I add the shipping cost it would work out cheaper try to get them here. The trick is buy early, I know it's not always easy. I miss out on shpongle LP released last year @ £13, it will now cost me around £60 - 2nd hand!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I agree there - if you see an LP you want at £15-20, buy it! A few times I've held off, then all of a sudden they're all gone, and people are then re-selling them on Amazon/eBay etc for twice or three times the price!

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Buying new vinyl, though a very attractive proposition, is not something I indulge in very often because of the price.

If it is a classic (to me) album that I feel I want and its going around the £15/£18 mark then I will take the plunge if it's a particular favourite of mine. DSOTM & Black Sabbath spring to mind.

However, there does not seem any logic behind some of the pricing. For example, I received a mail shot this morning from Burning Shed Records offering new 180gm presses of some of Emerson Lake & Palmer's early releases, right up my street. The debut album ELP, Trilogy and Tarkus are available for £18.50, whilst Brain Salad Surgery (the one I really want) is £27.50.

There is no way I am paying £27.50 for one single LP, even if it is a limited edition. If it was the same price as the others then I would probably dabble but I'm not that desperate. £27.50 buys you an awful lot of secondhand LP's or even CD's!

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. "Shop around, get it early and grab it if you can" sounds like the route to go.

I like the Back to Black (and Radiohead KOL) approach with the download voucher included, so as long as the vinyl is say £15-£16 max then best of both/three worlds.

Worth an early alert post if anything interesting comes along.

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I agree with FrankH... some of the records I've played most over the years are hard to get LPs which were initially expensive but which repay the investment many times over. Some of the Sundazed reissues of 60s LPs sound unbelievable.

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I agree with FrankH... some of the records I've played most over the years are hard to get LPs which were initially expensive but which repay the investment many times over. Some of the Sundazed reissues of 60s LPs sound unbelievable.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
I have used a site called Diverse Vinyl in the past who are actually quite good.

They have the Paul Simon Album for release on the 10/5/11 with a TBC price...might be worth while keeping an eye on it just in case.

I agree though..in some cases if you are quick enough you can get some bargains on new releases....circa £10.00 but you do have to be quick and the issue I have with HMV is the delivery times. I would much prefer to use Amazon when I am looking for new vinyl.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I think from mid 60's to very early 80's, LP sounded at thier best. Obviously, first press would be better still but for the cost, I rather not. There are two type of LP buyer, user and collector I am the former so white label US pressing mean nothing to me. 2nd hand LP, as long as it is in excelent + condition I am happy to buy. Oh forgot to mention, I bought a Okki Nokki records cleaner and it's properbly the best thing I have bought in the last 12 months.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I've just received a new copy of Elton John/Leon Russell's "The Union", direct from Amazon store for about £8 - a double-album of one of the best records in ages - even the artwork has soul.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Good old amazon - I bought The Union by Elton John a couple of days ago for £7.87 including vat. The price has now risen to £11.99 !!! (ok, still a good buy, but a 50% price increase in a couple of days???).

Is there a post on this site for any good-value vinyl that people see? Similar to the way people post about blu-rays etc? So that we can pick them up before they disappear or go up in price.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
DandyCobalt said:
Good old amazon - I bought The Union by Elton John a couple of days ago for £7.87 including vat. The price has now risen to £11.99 !!! (ok, still a good buy, but a 50% price increase in a couple of days???).

A couple of months ago I bought a Samsung TV off Amazon for £515.00, the cheapest I could see it anywhere else was £550.

The next day I looked on Amazon and the same TV was £609.00, the following day £585.00 ! Go figure.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Never mind the cost of new vinyl, check out this on Ebay at the moment..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STEVE-KUHN-TRIO-EASY-LOVE-JAPAN-OBI-MINT-/330559553829?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item4cf6e28125

I don't get paid for a couple of weeks, otherwise I'd be in there like a shot.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
DIB said:
Never mind the cost of new vinyl, check out this on Ebay at the moment..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STEVE-KUHN-TRIO-EASY-LOVE-JAPAN-OBI-MINT-/330559553829?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item4cf6e28125

I don't get paid for a couple of weeks, otherwise I'd be in there like a shot.

Better click the right button on that one - could be an expensive offer :)

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
DandyCobalt said:
Browsing their small vinyl section (at least they have one, hmv!) I came across a new wrapped copy of Paul Simon's new album "So Beautiful or So What" at only 16 Euros.

Worth checking out the french amazon.fr site for Paul Simon and other vinyl. A much cheaper way to get some vinyl...just ordered Paul Simon on vinyl for about €15, the Intro to Syd Barratt for €17 (about half the UK amazon price) and there are others for much cheaper than UK prices. Delivery is a few euros more, but worth it.

The Paul Simon is not even available yet in UK, I think.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
DandyCobalt said:
DandyCobalt said:
Browsing their small vinyl section (at least they have one, hmv!) I came across a new wrapped copy of Paul Simon's new album "So Beautiful or So What" at only 16 Euros.

Worth checking out the french amazon.fr site for Paul Simon and other vinyl. A much cheaper way to get some vinyl...just ordered Paul Simon on vinyl for about €15, the Intro to Syd Barratt for €17 (about half the UK amazon price) and there are others for much cheaper than UK prices. Delivery is a few euros more, but worth it.

The Paul Simon is not even available yet in UK, I think.

I've just received the Syd Barratt album that I ordered from amazon.fr (french amazon site) - the packaging has Royal Mail postage and a UK return address on it! So why does the same product cost half (!!) the cost of buying from via the usual uk amazon site ??

The lesson for me is...check out different amazon sites for the same product, and you might save a lot of money.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
The cost of vinyl is still a mystery to me, but pleasantly surprised by a few recent new release purchases through Amazon...

Howe Gelb "The Coincidentalist" £12.53 (to be released on Nov 4th)

Anna Calvi "One Breath" £12.99 (to be released on 7th October)

Bill Callaghan "Dream River" £15.13

Tony Joe White "Hoodoo" £16.99 (preordered for release on 7th October)

Kings of Leon "Mechanical Bull" £17.99

Jonathan Wilson "Fanfare" Double LP £17.99 (to be released on October 14th)

London Grammar (Double 45rpm LP) "If you wait" £18.67

Arctic Monkeys "AM" £15.44

But others have beena bit steep, so bought the CD instead...

Roy Harper "Man & Myth" £31.20

Any ideas why Roy Harper's vinyl should cost double the price of these others?

fatman

Nov 11, 2007
Visit site
DandyCobalt said:
Is there a post on this site for any good-value vinyl that people see? Similar to the way people post about blu-rays etc? So that we can pick them up before they disappear or go up in price.

Do you/anyone have any links to any forums for good vinyl deals? Collected my turntable over the weekend - who'd have thought that Spotify would get people back into vinyl???

(The Union now £14.63)

fatman

Nov 11, 2007
Visit site
Cheers. Meant more in the lines of what you were previously asking for heads up from posters re. good deals that they have found.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Ah, you can try this one...
http://www.whathifi.com/forum/turntables-and-lps/praise-shame-rate-your-new-vinyl-here
but haven't seen a "Best Buy" vinyl thread

TRENDING THREADS