New turntable

Chris Munden

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
I finally retired my 35 year old Rega Planar 3 to the spare room as I just wasn't prepared to spend any more money on it. So got me a new AT LP5 which was within my bugdet for a new deck and I was very much persuaded by the reviews, including this review site. As some of you might remember I have always had a liking for direct drive and this one is 'silent'. However, the AT95EX cartridge supplied with the deck is pretty good but lacks a bit of finness and is a tad bass light so I want to upgrade this. Any suggestions keeping it under £100, 2 that seem to get very good reviews are the Goldring Electra and Nagoake 110, my Hi Fi dealer said the arm will easily accomodate those cartridge upgrades and do them fair justice.

Chris Munden said:
I finally retired my 35 year old Rega Planar 3 to the spare room as I just wasn't prepared to spend any more money on it. So got me a new AT LP5 which was within my bugdet for a new deck and I was very much persuaded by the reviews, including this review site. As some of you might remember I have always had a liking for direct drive and this one is 'silent'. However, the AT95EX cartridge supplied with the deck is pretty good but lacks a bit of finness and is a tad bass light so I want to upgrade this. Any suggestions keeping it under £100, 2 that seem to get very good reviews are the Goldring Electra and Nagoake 110, my Hi Fi dealer said the arm will easily accomodate those cartridge upgrades and do them fair justice.

One of the easiest options is simply to replace the stylus on your current cartridge however the new Paratrace P95 is a little over budget at £140. Well recommend though.

Failing that, and forget the Nagaoka for the moment, go with a Shure M97xE for about £103.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Upgrade and save some hassle ...

https://eu.audio-technica.com/cartridges/VM520EBH

... all pre-aligned in an AT headshell. (Keep the AT95 in it's and use as a spare/backup/for 'rough records'.)

VM520EBH_1-500x500.jpg

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Good Recommendation from AT. I've been thinking about this upgrade myself. But on the other side I need to say that AT95E is a very good cart. I think AT95EX is pretty similar if not better ( for the price amazing ). It never sounds dull or bass shy...

Chris Munden

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
Hi Stereo man, The older AT 95E was OK, but needed tweaking to get more out of it which Audio Technica did with the AT 95EX which comes as standard fitting with the LP5 its certainly a step in the right direction and not bad at all. However, with a deck like the AT LP5 it deserves some thing a bit better. I found after using an Ortofon 2M Red on loan and comparing the 2 the AT was lacking, especially in a good tight bass. AL ears suggested a Shure M97XE and many review sites give it a thumbs up, so that is on my very short list of 4. Thanks Al ears.

Looking at the review site with videos run by a Japanese guy, (I think he's Japanese) HiVinyws, he has tested many cartridges and made comparrisons between brands with scores for different areas of musical out put. In his top 3 in group 'B' USD 90 - 120, Were the Grado Green, Goldring Elektra and Nagoaka. He was a tad critical of the Shure M97XE mid range definition but still said it was an excellent cartridge for the money. He was not impressed with the AT M95E saying it was a good cartridge to get you started, the AT M95EX being a good jump up and would probably satisfy most people.

Chris Munden said:
Hi Stereo man, The older AT 95E was OK, but needed tweaking to get more out of it which Audio Technica did with the AT 95EX which comes as standard fitting with the LP5 its certainly a step in the right direction and not bad at all. However, with a deck like the AT LP5 it deserves some thing a bit better. I found after using an Ortofon 2M Red on loan and comparing the 2 the AT was lacking, especially in a good tight bass. AL ears suggested a Shure M97XE and many review sites give it a thumbs up, so that is on my very short list of 4. Thanks Al ears.

Looking at the review site with videos run by a Japanese guy, (I think he's Japanese) HiVinyws, he has tested many cartridges and made comparrisons between brands with scores for different areas of musical out put. In his top 3 in group 'B' USD 90 - 120, Were the Grado Green, Goldring Elektra and Nagoaka. He was a tad critical of the Shure M97XE mid range definition but still said it was an excellent cartridge for the money. He was not impressed with the AT M95E saying it was a good cartridge to get you started, the AT M95EX being a good jump up and would probably satisfy most people.

Always good to read reviews but at the end of the day it's only one person's opinion usually. I quite liked the Shures overall presentation and it tracks like the best...... but that's just my opinion. ;-)

Chris Munden

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, I guess your right, it can be very subjective, I value your opinion as you have much more experience of these things than me. I'm currently looking at my short list and the Shure is working its way to the top of the list, need to find the best deals. Cheers

Chris Munden said:
Thanks, I guess your right, it can be very subjective, I value your opinion as you have much more experience of these things than me. I'm currently looking at my short list and the Shure is working its way to the top of the list, need to find the best deals. Cheers

Always a pleasure to share what I have experienced with those moving up. It's an extremely difficult area to actually audition so I hope my opinions help in some way.

Chris Munden said:

Always a pleasure to share what I have experienced with those moving up. It's an extremely difficult area to actually audition so I hope my opinions help in some way. If only to form a shortlist.

Chris Munden

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
Just an update, I took chebby's advice, I kept thye AT95XE in its head shell and bought a new AT head shell and a Nagaoka MP100 which was on offer at a price I couldn't refuse.

The sound is excellent and if I was doing a blind test with my Rega Planar 3 and the LP5, I would be hard pushed to identify the turntable being used. What Hi Fi are right when they said the AT LP5 punches way above its weight. I'm under no illusion that the LP5 is at the lower end of the Hi Fi turntable ladder, but Audio Technica got this one right, for the money its outstanding.

Would I change any thing on the deck, No, what's the point I could end up spending more than the table is worth and probably for not much gain. It fills my living room with lovely music (and no wow )! and that's all I want. As for my old Planar 3, still love it but it needs a new motor and board and power supply, may be in the future.

wilsmusic

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
a cheaper upgrade might be to try the ATN 95EX stylus.

I put this onto my AT95SE cartridge with good results. Sounded more engaging to my ears anyway!

Chris Munden

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
AL EARS, I'm hanging on to the Rega as I haven't the heart to sell it, its been and old friend for decades, I'm sure you know the feeling. As for the AT LP5, what can I say, well not a lot, it playes records with great authority, excellent performance for the money. Actually, I might rotate the decks every 6 Months or so just to keep the Rega in the loop.

Chris Munden said:
AL EARS, I'm hanging on to the Rega as I haven't the heart to sell it, its been and old friend for decades, I'm sure you know the feeling. As for the AT LP5, what can I say, well not a lot, it playes records with great authority, excellent performance for the money. Actually, I might rotate the decks every 6 Months or so just to keep the Rega in the loop.

*yahoo*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts