New turntable time.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Nemo said:
putting the wire loop over the brass rod before fitting.

But I did use tweezers to fit the loop onto the brass rod.

If manufacturers at this price level cannot sell a fully assembled turntable, possibly minus the cartridge, then I would avoid like the plague.

They are obviously not designed for the clientele they are aiming for.

Nemo

Nov 3, 2017
Visit site
well, I’ve had my new turntable up and running for about four weeks now, and, having listened to dozens of albums from Alan Parsons to ZZ Top, and old copies to new pressings, I’m happy with what I have to be happy with. Bowled over with the width, and DEPTH of the soundstage. Whole new insight into fifty year old albums, Beatles white album, as much as Enter Here, by Field music, this weeks buy. Just as well I’m loving it, no more major purchases right now, boss wants, and is getting, a new kitchen. Don’t see her problem, the old one is only thirty this year...

the ortofon silver cartridge suits my elderly ears just fine. Can’t see where spending big bucks upgrading that will make a huge difference, yet!

Nemo said:
well, I’ve had my new turntable up and running for about four weeks now, and, having listened to dozens of albums from Alan Parsons to ZZ Top, and old copies to new pressings, I’m happy with what I have to be happy with. Bowled over with the width, and DEPTH of the soundstage. Whole new insight into fifty year old albums, Beatles white album, as much as Enter Here, by Field music, this weeks buy. Just as well I’m loving it, no more major purchases right now, boss wants, and is getting, a new kitchen. Don’t see her problem, the old one is only thirty this year...

the ortofon silver cartridge suits my elderly ears just fine. Can’t see where spending big bucks upgrading that will make a huge difference, yet!

Yet!

Best appease her indoors before proceding . :)

brownz

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Al ears said:
Nemo said:
putting the wire loop over the brass rod before fitting.

But I did use tweezers to fit the loop onto the brass rod.

If manufacturers at this price level cannot sell a fully assembled turntable, possibly minus the cartridge, then I would avoid like the plague.

They are obviously not designed for the clientele they are aiming for.

Even the £30K turn tables will need to be assembled when they reach their destination and final resting place (albeit a £30K tt should come with a small man in the box to do it for you - and a pre-paid jiffy bag to return him in).

The reason "manufacturers" don't fit things like anti skate weights, counter weights, feet, etc is because they are designed to be adjusted when the TT is in place, on a level surface, with the customers choice of cartridge fitted. Adjustable parts tend to be loose, hence them being packed away seperately so they don't damage the TT in transit from it's birthplace to it's loving home.

If you decide to go down the fully assembled route, you do rather limit yourself to the argossy/crossley thingies - perish the thought :-D

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts