Question New turntable around 1k

Scren1

Jun 5, 2020
Visit site
Hello,

Looking for turntable and cartridge recommendations for around £1000.

current setup

turntable - Rega P1
CD player Rotel CD14
Amp - Rotel A 14
Speakers - Dali Opticon 6’s
Sub - REL Quake

Ive been looking at the regs P3 and P6 models and also the project RPM line. Any suggestions? Also any advice on MC vs MM? Current amp only has a MM phono stage.

Cheers

Hello,

current setup

turntable - Rega P1
CD player Rotel CD14
Amp - Rotel A 14
Sub - REL Quake

Ive been looking at the regs P3 and P6 models and also the project RPM line. Any suggestions? Also any advice on MC vs MM? Current amp only has a MM phono stage.

Cheers
Your current turntable is perfectly able to take a cartridge upgrade so why not go that way? The move to a P3 is obviously an upgrade but you might be better off financially sticking with the deck you have.
Unless you have deep pockets stay clear of MC cartridges. They don't make any sense unless you spend money and will require a step up amplifier of some sort at additional expense.
Stylii can simply be replaced on moving magnet cartridges, not so on moving coil.
If you really need a new deck and are able to spend a little over £1000 one of the best decks around for that money is the MOFI Studiodeck with Studio tracker cartridge, in my opinion...
.... unless you really know what you are looking at and want to go second-hand of course but I would only advise this if you or someone you know really knows what they are looking at but I assume, as you posted here, you don't.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scren1

Scren1

Jun 5, 2020
Visit site
Cheers. I’ve certainly considered upgrading cart only. I’m currently using the entry level carbon cart that comes standard with the P1 which I find a bit harsh at times at the top end, so I’m sure a cart change will give me a sizeable improvement , but feel the investment in a better deck will give me a better future upgrade path and the step change I’m after. I’ll add MOFI deck to the shortlist for demo.

Reactions: Al ears
I am not to sure how many dealers MOFI current have in the UK, presuming you are in the UK but can honestly suggest you can buy this one even without an audition.
I know I always suggest audition is a necessity but items like cartridges are extremely hard to get to listen to. Likewise decks. However, don't just take my word for it read a few reviews.
MOFI are all about vinyl and these decks are going to worry a few of the opposition.

myrrhman

Apr 24, 2020
Visit site
I've been considering a MoFi as a possible upgrade from my Project Debut /OM20 - they seem well screwed together (check out HiViNyws Youtube P3 vs Studiodeck review for a comparison of build quality) and the 10 inch tonearm looks like it could carry some significant cartridge upgrades

D

Deleted member 116933

Hello,

current setup

turntable - Rega P1
CD player Rotel CD14
Amp - Rotel A 14
Sub - REL Quake

Cheers

id add the technics 1500c to the list, and the Marantz TT-15S1, fantastic table with an amazing cart, basically and audio concept. Edit sorry Clearaudio

jjbomber

A great buy if you can go without a few pints for a month
No choice in certain parts of the country!

Down here, we are not allowed to sit at the same table as our friends, we have to have a table each. We are not allowed to talk to each other, unless we time it perfectly and both go to the toilet at the same time. And they wonder why people don't bother with the rules!

D

Deleted member 116933

No choice in certain parts of the country!

Down here, we are not allowed to sit at the same table as our friends, we have to have a table each. We are not allowed to talk to each other, unless we time it perfectly and both go to the toilet at the same time. And they wonder why people don't bother with the rules!

Ah that’s a great shame. It’s all very confusing tbh most don’t know weather coming or going

D

Deleted member 116933

Apologies, seems they have reduced it by £500....... bargain!
It is. So much so I’ve been looking at it. But with all this uncertainty at the moment the card will be staying in the pocket

D

Deleted member 108165

id add the technics 1500c to the list, and the Marantz TT-15S1, fantastic table with an amazing cart, basically and audio concept. Edit sorry Clearaudio
I think both bigfish and myself can vouch for the Marantz. It was a good deck at £1500... it's and an excellent deck at £1100.

D

Deleted member 116933

I think both bigfish and myself can vouch for the Marantz. It was a good deck at £1500... it's and an excellent deck at £1100.

The only thing that puts me off a little it the belt and the manual speed change. But it should certainly be on the OP's list

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts