new turntable advice

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all I have be caught with the up grade bug I currently have a project debut turntable and want to change it and want to spend aprox 700 hard earned pounds for the turntable arm and cartridge although i could maybe squeeze a few more pounds for the right setup any advice greatfully recieved

nads

700 for every thing? i would have to go with what i have the Pro-Ject 2 Xperience SuperPack 2 the Cart. is excellent But is £300 to replace!all for 750. I do not think there is a deal out there that will beat it. (oh it comes with the speed box as well. Very happy with it.

A

Anonymous

thanks for your advice i will try to arrange a demo at the weekend does it come with a dust cover

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
I took a gamble and bought a second hand Roksan Radius - it's a wonderful thing to listen to. Looks good too. Thanks to Claire for fast-tracking me to a handy short list of three. As promised, the detail retrieval of the Radius is something to behold.
From Jacques Loussier to REM via Kraftwerk, I've had a sumptuous vinyl blast this weekend.
Now all I need is a phono stage & cartridge upgrade!

A

Anonymous

how does the clearaudio emotion package compair to the project package what type of cartridge did you put on the roksan

matthewpiano

The Emotion is a superb deck and, whilst the Pro-ject is superb, I'd go for the Clearaudio if it were my money. Whichever you go for it will blow an equivalently priced CD player to smitharines.
Budget about £50 for a Disco Anti-Stat record cleaner. Its manual and looks really simple but it completely revitalises old and tired vinyl. I can't believe the sound I'm getting from my old vinyl after cleaning it thoroughly. I had one record ('Angel Clare' by Art Garfunkel) which was un-playable and now it sounds wonderful again. Also invest in the Hi-Fi News Test Record. It made setting by 'table up so much easier and I have the reassurance of knowing that my cartridge is tracking properly.

John Duncan

[quote user="matthewpiano"]Budget about £50 for a Disco Anti-Stat record cleaner. Its manual and looks really simple but it completely revitalises old and tired vinyl. I can't believe the sound I'm getting from my old vinyl after cleaning it thoroughly.[/quote]

Worked then?
emotion-5.gif

matthewpiano

[quote user="JohnDuncan"][quote user="matthewpiano"]Budget about £50 for a Disco Anti-Stat record cleaner. Its manual and looks really simple but it completely revitalises old and tired vinyl. I can't believe the sound I'm getting from my old vinyl after cleaning it thoroughly.[/quote]

Worked then?
emotion-5.gif
[/quote]

Yes thanks John. I'm pretty amazed to be honest. Some of these LPs are my Dad's old collection and have been all over the place including a long time up in his loft. They were also played on some pretty poorly set-up turntables by me when I was growing up including a bloomin' awful Sansui P-D15 Direct Drive thing which was all plastic and made well after that firm's wonderful golden days.

John Duncan

S'great isn't it? I mean it hasn't saved some of my LPs which have clearly been played to death on lesser gear, but it's salvaged some pretty grubby albums.

I think I've said in a previous thread to investigate home-made cleaning liquids though - there are plenty of recipes on the internet - I personally go for 80/20 distilled water/isopropyl alcohol, with a dash of photographic wetting agent. Better than trying to salvage the grubby liquid with those filter papers they give you.

A

Anonymous

i bought a disco anti stat on ebay really cheap looking but works a treat thanks for the tip of mixing your own cleaning fluid where do you buy isopropyl alcohol and photographic wetting agent

John Duncan

[quote user="stormheader"]
i bought a disco anti stat on ebay really cheap looking but works a treat thanks for the tip of mixing your own cleaning fluid where do you buy isopropyl alcohol and photographic wetting agent
[/quote]

Big chemists will stock both distilled water and isopropyl alcohol.

Photographic wetting agent is harder to find in this age of digital photography - Google for Ilfotol. It's just washing up liquid at heart, but intuitively it probably has less gunk in it (for hands that do dishes).

TRENDING THREADS