New tidal

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
woodbino said:
All an amplifier does is amplify the input signal. That's all it does. As long as they're working within their operating limits, and are not faulty, they'll sound pretty much the same.

There lies the trickery and all the magic. It's not as simple as a lightbulb switch - Working/Not Working.

666crowndc300.promo_.jpg

The power output capabilities of past and present power amplifiers have been based, not on acoustic requirements, but on electro-economic considerations. Today's low-efficiency loudspeakers in a room of typical size would require several kilowatts of input power in order to produce (dissipation allowing) the greatest sound-pressure peaks that can occur in live musical performance. Clearly the larger the amplifier, other things being equal, the more faithful the sound. By delivering the maximum output power reasonably obtainable with today's semiconductor power technology, the DC-300 delivers a previously unattainable level of fidelity.

Since it is inevitable that a power amplifier smaller than several kilowatts will be overloaded from time to time when driving low-efficiency speakers at high volume, overload recovery must be instantaneous and free from subsequent thumps or distortion. The DC-300's totally DC-coupled design is unequalled in this respect.

Dynamically, the DC-300 is, as far as we know, without peer. Its ultra-low distortion required the development of an ultra-low-residual IM meter (less than 0.005%) to allow for actual measurement of distortion at levels down to 10 milliwatts output. (Harmonic analyzers are not sensitive enough.) The oommon practice of measuring IM down to no lower than 1 watt is not an adequate test for crossover notch distortion, as large amounts of IM are often produced between 10mW and 1W, while distortion above 1W is acceptably low. It is the DC-300'S extremely low distortion below 1W, plus its very low hum and noise, that make it sound so outstandingly good at low listening levels.

Incidentally, its noise is so low (typically 115dB below 150W into 8 ohms) that special voltmeters having a full-scale sensitivity of 100 microvolts had to be built in order to allow meaningful production-line testing of the amplifier.—Crown

Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/crown-dc-300-power-amplifier#pdJRp51y0p40WYe9.99

Ever heard of the expression "this amplifier sounds more powerful than its declared X watts"? Sometimes its input sensitivity trickery, but sometimes it's Overload Recovery Performance exceeding the norm, especially in 4ohms and bellow territory. Translating engineering to psychoacoustics and vice versa goes down the rabbit hole where most of us hobbyists and even engineers get lost.

Let's compare the TOTL Kenwood Model 600 to the lowly Technics SU-7700 currenlty pushing my 4 ohms towers. In addition see the Overload performance graph of the reviewed Amcron (Crown).

Kenwood has more power, bigger PSU yet it collapses on lower impedances. Overload performance is terrible. Why? Bad design.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi Vlad, long time...

Obviously determines what we here, recording, mastering, ripping all have an effect, usually a pretty big one.

Recently I have found that the ripping quality on Spotify can be variable, nominally 320kbits/sec Ogg vorbis it sounds to me as if some tracks/albums are actually at lower bitrates, hard to be sure but the same version of the same track can sound better from different sources.

Next time I find an obvious example I will flag it up.

Elswhere... Back in the day, around '75-'76, I had around a dozen DC300 amplifiers running one of my (largely) JBL 'bin and horn' rigs. They were pretty old and tired by then, the replacement DC300A had been out for several years and the DC300s were being phased out.

I have recounted the story of how a spare DC300 saved a Motorhead gig in Paris by doing emergency duty as a power supply for our FOH Midas console. Interestingly my sound engineer recons the console/rig, never sounded better.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
I have recounted the story of how a spare DC300 saved a Motorhead gig in Paris by doing emergency duty as a power supply for our FOH Midas console. Interestingly my sound engineer recons the console/rig, never sounded better.

I remember reading about that. Simple and robust rarely fails it seems.

I copy-pasted Crowns comment specifically for the Overload Recovery factor as important feature. Interesting how this was measured in old Hi-Fi Choice (?) reviews back in the 70s. Never seen it elswhere.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I've just signed up for a 30 day free trial of Tidal, set it up to play via Sonos connect, searched and found albums, but not playing!

Have I missed something? help please.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:
insider9 said:
Did this resolve the issue?

It stays on the selection for Sonos... Spotify, Music library and Tidal should all play through the same output

Mac

I have Tidal on my DS so don't know if it works the same....but an even dafter question - you haven't chosen "Play Later" on the selected album, which just adds it to the playlist?

When using the Sonos interface on the laptop you search for the artist through Tidal etc, select an album then press play all or a single track to play... think I'll have to drop Sonos a line.

Mac

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts