New System

Smarted

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
I'm looking to purchase a new system for home cinema use, it's the first time I've looked at separates so it's quite new to me. This is my shopping list, thoughts, hints and tips would be great.

Pioneer PDP508XD KURO Plasma Television
Onkyo TX SR606 AV Receiver
Panasonic DMP BD30 Blu Ray Player
Kef KHT3005SE Speaker System

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
QED Silver Anniversary or Chord Carnival Silverscreen for speaker cable and QED HDMI-P or Chord HDMI 1.3a Silver Plus for HDMI. (Believe it or not, I work for neither the QED or Chord corporations!).

Smarted

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Thanks all, going shopping in a couple of weeks
emotion-2.gif

Qwalme

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
I've also decided on the Onkyo 606 and KEF3005SE's.

Has anyone seen any deals on these below the usual list price of £400 and £995?

Thx

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
No thats about the price but if you can go for the 875 for £599 at Richersounds if not you may get a good deal if you buy the amp and kefs see if they will chuck in some speaker cable or do it a bit cheaper. Remmeber you cany mailorder the kefs

Smarted

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
I'm still shopping around and the best deals seem to be had at Richer Sounds, I would give your nearest branch a ring. They have recommended that the KEF2005.3 would be a better match to the Onkyo 606 and if I wanted the KEF3005SE's then the Onkyo 875 would be a better match. This has thrown a spanner in the works as they suggest the speakers would be wasted on the 606. I suspect they may have a lot of 875's they need to clear to make way for the 876. Thought's?

A

Anonymous

Nice system - every piece of kit you mentioned is really good. If you can stretch it, I would go and look at the 875 as there are good deals at the moment as it will soon be superseded in Autumn. The only thing you failed to mention was the size of your room and the distance to the display. If your room is quite big, you may want to consider larger speakers - you are unlikely to be dissapointed with the Kefs.

Smarted

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
The room is not very big, 3.5m wide by 4.5m long, viewing distance will be 3.5m. The best price I have found for the 875 is around £695, this may stretch my budget a little past WBP. (Wife Breaking Point)
emotion-8.gif

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I disagree with Richer Sounds, I don't see any reason why you couldn't happily partner the KEF 3005SEs with the 606. The 875 is definitely a better amp, but if it's above your budget, there's no reason why you couldn't use the 606 with those speakers and see noticeable improvements over the 2005.2s.
In fact, have a look here, WHF recommends the 3005SE with the 606!

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Any chance you can be tempted by the B&W MT-30?

the £1575 RRP can be easily beaten down. I paid £1460 and that was for 7.1 and delivery too, and that was way back in December.

Somebody on here said they were able to get the MT-30 for £1150. If that's the case I'd jump ship from the Kefs to the B&Ws......But I'm biased..I love my MT-30s. (FWIW, the ultra sexy PV1 sub will surely garner approval from the Mrs.) :)

A

Anonymous

probably too late but edited, cheers.

Its my secondary addy anyway.

Smarted

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
The B&W MT-30's would be very expensive, divorces are not cheap!

After much deliberation my mind is made up it's,

Pioneer PDP508XD KURO Plasma Television
Onkyo TX SR606 AV Receiver
Panasonic DMP BD30 Blu Ray Player
Kef KHT3005SE Speaker System

The screen is ordered and the rest is being ordered tomorrow, I've got a good deal, £2993.00 the lot.

Would anyone recommend a wall bracket or are they all much the same?

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Should have gone for the Arcam Muso/Logo - blow the 3500SEs out of the water (IMHO).

Bracket - how about this? The Pioneer PDK-WM02 wall bracket.

3nw9_large.jpg

I have one of these. Simple, strong, sorted.

A

Anonymous

"divorces are expensive" lol

where did you get your deal smarted?

cheers

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Gander:
hello big chris, where did you got your deal from please??

Good old Tottenham Ct Rd in London. A place called PNR Audio/Visual. The deal was good, but it was also the only place I was able to find the MT-30 in white (I wanted to see the white in the metal before deciding on a colour, or rather, my Wife did :))

The guy tried to turn me onto the Yamaha 3800 too (£1100 down from £1400), but I stuck with the Onk in the end.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts