new stereo set hard to choose what to demo!

poldo

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Hi all,

After the B&W 684 and Monitor Audio rs6 I want a new stereo set. My AVI neutron will go to another smaller room.

-My room is 3,8 mtrs * 5,2 mtrs but it is a L-living room so you should add an open dining room of 10m2

-I can only get a gap of 50 cm between rearwall and speakers

-I sit app. 2,5 mtrs from my speakers

-I think I have a hard room, because of the concrete walls, but I have a bookcase, carpet and a big sofa,

-I prefer floorstanders but good standmouts are fine too

-i listen to rock, pop, blues. Fav. bands Pearl Jam, Tindersticks, Nick Cave, Kyuss, Opeth, The Cure, The Doors etc.

-I disliked the boominess of the B&W and the Monitor Audio was a bit harsh in the treble for my like

-my budget is around 2,500 pounds for amp+speakers

-my source is apple tv + rega dac and I own the NAD 545 cd player.

Could anyone give me some tips what I could demo?

i did demo totem arro -expsoure 2010s2 + guru - exposure 2010s2, totem I did not like, guru was ok but not wow. Exposure did a very good job also with my own Neutron V.

A

Anonymous

Arcam A18 and ProAc Studio 140's. If you're buying new kit in this price range, nothing better is available in my opinion. Incredibly balanced sound, nothing protruding and just gorgeous to listen to.

If you're buying used, I'd go with B&W 804S/N and an amp with a good bit of current behind it, think 50A+. Could maybe squeeze in a Musical Fidelity M6i for that price if you're lucky with your pricing.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Another suggestion.

Spendor A series speakers are supposed to be able to position close to walls.

The A5 is about £1500.00 leaving £1000.00 for an amp.

Worth a demo if you like floor standers with your requirements & size & shape of room.

Whatever speaker/amp combo(s) you end up liking try to get a home demo given you room layout.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I have been recently looking at speakers and share your view on the MA's and to a lesser extent the B&W's.
I listen to rock, reggae ,older soul music and like a fair bit of punch and drive and would also recommend a listen to the new Proac 140's.

I found spendors too bass light, pmc lovely sound but lacking punch compared to dynaudio x32, B&Wcm8 have more control than 684's but outclassed by the Proac's.Audio vector K series are worth a listen if they are avalable to you.

Personally on amps if you could find ex dem Naim xs, Caspian or Leema Stream(new on ebay £750), you have already heard the Exposure.I think these would work well with the Proac's.

I am sure you will get plenty of advice, have fun.

Good luck and happy demo'ing

poldo

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
tomorrow i am going to demo some speakers at a local shop.

they have no proac, spendor, sonus etc.

but they do have monitor audio, dali, dynaudio and audio physic.

but in my room conditions, what is the best speaker to demo?

MA GX50 or GX100? Mentor 1 or 2? Dynaudio x12 x16?

A

Anonymous

poldo said:
tomorrow i am going to demo some speakers at a local shop.

they have no proac, spendor, sonus etc.

but they do have monitor audio, dali, dynaudio and audio physic.

but in my room conditions, what is the best speaker to demo?

MA GX50 or GX100? Mentor 1 or 2? Dynaudio x12 x16?

Try the GX100's, make sure they use a decently substantial amplifier though, as the previous versions (GR10 and GS10) were actually a bit tricky to drive.

If you can stretch, try going for the GX200 and get a decent current-output integrated used on eBay or the likes. Think MF A5, Krell KAV-300 etc... Can pick either of those up for £650 and £750 respectively, both are powerhouses in their own rights :).

A

Anonymous

mmm i can get the MF A5, but I will demo it with the M6i they have in the shop.

poldo said:
Hi all,

After the B&W 684 and Monitor Audio rs6 I want a new stereo set. My AVI neutron will go to another smaller room.

-My room is 3,8 mtrs * 5,2 mtrs but it is a L-living room so you should add an open dining room of 10m2

-I can only get a gap of 50 cm between rearwall and speakers

-I sit app. 2,5 mtrs from my speakers

-I think I have a hard room, because of the concrete walls, but I have a bookcase, carpet and a big sofa,

-I prefer floorstanders but good standmouts are fine too

-i listen to rock, pop, blues. Fav. bands Pearl Jam, Tindersticks, Nick Cave, Kyuss, Opeth, The Cure, The Doors etc.

-I disliked the boominess of the B&W and the Monitor Audio was a bit harsh in the treble for my like

-my budget is around 2,500 pounds for amp+speakers

-my source is apple tv + rega dac and I own the NAD 545 cd player.

Could anyone give me some tips what I could demo?

i did demo totem arro -expsoure 2010s2 + guru - exposure 2010s2, totem I did not like, guru was ok but not wow. Exposure did a very good job also with my own Neutron V.

Creek Evo II and Dali Ikon 6. If you can't source Creek then Arcam + Dali should be cracking.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts