New speakers required

Louis Webb

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
I have a Roksan K3 Amplifier and CD Di cd player and an old pair of Dynaudio Audience 40's on Atacama SE24 stands. The Amp and Cdp are recent additions to my system and have highlighted that I need a different pair of speakers in my 16'x13' carpeted and soft furnished lounge (there is also a dining room around 9'6"x9' in open plan-it is an L-shaped lounge/dining room). The Dynaudios are rear ported and really need more space from the back wall that I'm giving them (12"/30cm), which WAF just won't allow. I'm therefore considering something that will sit comfortably within 12"/30cm of the back wall. My listening position is around 9' from the back wall btw.

My budget is £1500 all in, for either floorstanders or stand-mounts including stands. I have listened to some ATC SCM 11's at a dealer which were sat on wooden,non-spiked stands paired with a MF M3si Amp and Rega Saturn Cdp-I was surprised at how "thick/plummy" the SCM 11's sounded, even when a couple of feet from the rear wall! I appreciate that a home demo is required with any speaker but I was hoping that the SCM 11 would be a prime candidate for me. Any other suggestions to put on my demo list would be appreciated. I'm in Berkshire,in the Uk and would be willing to travel a bit for the right choice.

Music is eclectic but heavy rock, AOR, dance and 80's electronic figure heavily.

Louis Webb said:
I have a Roksan K3 Amplifier and CD Di cd player and an old pair of Dynaudio Audience 40's on Atacama SE24 stands. The Amp and Cdp are recent additions to my system and have highlighted that I need a different pair of speakers in my 16'x13' carpeted and soft furnished lounge (there is also a dining room around 9'6"x9' in open plan-it is an L-shaped lounge/dining room). The Dynaudios are rear ported and really need more space from the back wall that I'm giving them (12"/30cm), which WAF just won't allow. I'm therefore considering something that will sit comfortably within 12"/30cm of the back wall. My listening position is around 9' from the back wall btw.

My budget is £1500 all in, for either floorstanders or stand-mounts including stands. I have listened to some ATC SCM 11's at a dealer which were sat on wooden,non-spiked stands paired with a MF M3si Amp and Rega Saturn Cdp-I was surprised at how "thick/plummy" the SCM 11's sounded, even when a couple of feet from the rear wall! I appreciate that a home demo is required with any speaker but I was hoping that the SCM 11 would be a prime candidate for me. Any other suggestions to put on my demo list would be appreciated. I'm in Berkshire,in the Uk and would be willing to travel a bit for the right choice.

Music is eclectic but heavy rock, AOR, dance and 80's electronic figure heavily.

If you can find a pair of second-hand EB Acoustics EB2 these would work as a a sealed box design. For floorstanders look at the Quadral Chromium Style 6, or for more wife-acceptance value the Neat Iota Alpha

insider9

I had a similar thoughts when reading OP. EB Acoustics EB2 can be had brand new nowadays, mind. £799 makes them still very good value. They've been recently reviewed and recommended by Hifi Pig.

If you'd want a demo OP that would mean travelling to Sheffield. Arcaydis offers 30 day money back guarantee though so might be easier just ordering.

Louis Webb

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
The Emit series are rear-ported and from having seen the M10, looks like the update of my current speaker (although the M20 would be equal to the Audience 50, the next size up from mine). Given how Dynaudio voice their speakers, I'd guess I would have exactly the same issue as my current speakers.

Louis Webb

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
insider9 said:
I had a similar thoughts when reading OP. EB Acoustics EB2 can be had brand new nowadays, mind. £799 makes them still very good value. They've been recently reviewed and recommended by Hifi Pig.

If you'd want a demo OP that would mean travelling to Sheffield. Arcaydis offers 30 day money back guarantee though so might be easier just ordering.

Thanks for the suggestion (and Al Ears!), this looks like a real contender, plus I like the idea of supporting a UK-based company. Now to read the HiFi Pig review!

Louis Webb

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
If you can find a pair of second-hand EB Acoustics EB2 these would work as a a sealed box design. For floorstanders look at the Quadral Chromium Style 6, or for more wife-acceptance value the Neat Iota Alpha

[/quote]

Haven't heard of the Quadrals but I did see a pair of the Neats in a local store-didn't realise what they were though-they're tiny in the flesh! More research required methinks. Thanks again for these suggestions.

insider9 said:

You are correct, I had forgotten they started making them again. Still a bargain.

Louis Webb said:
insider9 said:

Thanks for the suggestion (and Al Ears!), this looks like a real contender, plus I like the idea of supporting a UK-based company. Now to read the HiFi Pig review!

Always good to support UK companies. Will read review myself to see if new ones as goodness the old..... which I own. ;-)

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
insider9 said:

You are correct, I had forgotten they started making them again. Still a bargain.
they have started making them again is that true.iv always wanted to hear them

insider9

seemorebtts said:
Al ears said:
insider9 said:

Yes, they're available to demo in Sheffield. If you fancy a trip this way I could join you. I've had the original pair but at the time they were too much for me. Would be interesting to see how I'd react to them now. Could take my amp to demo with it.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
seemorebtts said:
Al ears said:
insider9 said:

Yes, they're available to demo in Sheffield. If you fancy a trip this way I could join you. I've had the original pair but at the time they were too much for me. Would be interesting to see how I'd react to them now. Could take my amp to demo with it.
you say they were to much.do you mean forward.I remember you saying they sounded very clean.are they bright

insider9

seemorebtts said:
insider9 said:
seemorebtts said:
Al ears said:
insider9 said:

you say they were to much.do you mean forward.I remember you saying they sounded very clean.are they bright

No, tonal balance was spot on. Bass was good though different than I'm used to due to seal cabinet but something I could get used to after a while. They were too open in midrange for me. I know that's crazy but at the time they just felt too honest. I also expected a tad more in terms of imaging I didn't get from them. On top there's my preference for ribbons and ultimately they were not for me. It was too much to early. I've gone throuhg quite a few speakers in the last 6 months or so and the jump was bigger than I was willing to make.

In short, nothing to do with speakers and all to do with a listener. That's why it's so important to demo in your own room prior to buying.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
seemorebtts said:
insider9 said:
seemorebtts said:
Al ears said:
insider9 said:

No, tonal balance was spot on. Bass was good though different than I'm used to due to seal cabinet but something I could get used to after a while. They were too open in midrange for me. I know that's crazy but at the time they just felt too honest. I also expected a tad more in terms of imaging I didn't get from them. On top there's my preference for ribbons and ultimately they were not for me. It was too much to early. I've gone throuhg quite a few speakers in the last 6 months or so and the jump was bigger than I was willing to make.

In short, nothing to do with speakers and all to do with a listener. That's why it's so important to demo in your own room prior to buying.
now I really want to hear these they sound amazing

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
SCM11s sound great when paired with the right amp and placed on quality stands. Having said that, I used to drive mine using a Roksan Caspian power and the pairing was not the best I've heard, especially at higher volumes. The sound seemed to harden up as the volume increased but I believe this was down to the amp and not the speakers. I've also recently bought smaller, filled, heavier stands (Atacama 50cm rather than 60cm). The sound quality from the ATCs is very, very good.

Louis Webb

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
Just as an update, I demoed the ATC Scm 7's and Scm 11's at home in my system and the 11's sounded very different from when I listened to them at the dealers. The 7's were definitely bass-light but interestingly this wasn't my biggest gripe with them-they sounded congested in the mid-bass/midrange on quite a few male vocals/deeper female vocals and I think this may be the speaker trying to cover too many bases from a small cone in a decent sized room-is this poor bassextension showing here, or was 7-8' listening position too far for what some might describe as a near field monitor?

The hifi store guy reckoned in the Uk that my 16'x12.5' room would be considered large!

The Scm 11's were a different kettle of fish. They sounded glorious with some of my cd's and average or poor with others but most were good/excellent. They do seem to lay bare your chain components and recording quality of software (cd's in my case).

Interestingly, I couldn't hear any major change in bass output or the quality of such (or other sound parameters such as midrange or treble) when I put the speakers within 15" or 7" of the rear wall.

I've ordered some Scm 11's and 50cm Custom Design stands,so 'looking forward to receiving them soon. Thanks to all those who proffered suggestions and advice.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Louis Webb said:
Just as an update, I demoed the ATC Scm 7's and Scm 11's at home in my system and the 11's sounded very different from when I listened to them at the dealers. The 7's were definitely bass-light but interestingly this wasn't my biggest gripe with them-they sounded congested in the mid-bass/midrange on quite a few male vocals/deeper female vocals and I think this may be the speaker trying to cover too many bases from a small cone in a decent sized room-is this poor bassextension showing here, or was 7-8' listening position too far for what some might describe as a near field monitor?

The hifi store guy reckoned in the Uk that my 16'x12.5' room would be considered large!

The Scm 11's were a different kettle of fish. They sounded glorious with some of my cd's and average or poor with others but most were good/excellent. They do seem to lay bare your chain components and recording quality of software (cd's in my case).

Interestingly, I couldn't hear any major change in bass output or the quality of such (or other sound parameters such as midrange or treble) when I put the speakers within 15" or 7" of the rear wall.

I've ordered some Scm 11's and 50cm Custom Design stands,so 'looking forward to receiving them soon. Thanks to all those who proffered suggestions and advice.

Good choice. Very good speakers. Now please dont demo the 19s

rainsoothe

Andrewjvt said:
Louis Webb said:

Good choice. Very good speakers. Now please dont demo the 19s

:))

@OP: congrats - I was about to blame it on the MF

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
That in your own room, the SCM11s deliver what you like. They really are tremendous speakers. Like most speakers, they greatly benefit from quality stands. I'm currently considering upgrading to actives and will be surprised if my next purchase isn't from the ATC stable. If this upgrade doesn't materialise however, I'll not lose any sleep; the scm11s will keep on delivering the goods. Enjoy your new kit!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts