Question New Speakers for vinyl system

lotsofvinyl

Nov 4, 2019
Visit site
Evening all,
I'm planning to upgrade my Dali Zensor 3 speakers (which have been a bit of a stopgap for the last year of so).
They're great (budget) speakers, but I'd like a little more bass.
I listen mainly to vinyl from a GyroDec/SME 309/Ortofon Quintet blue, Trichord Dino phono stage through a Naim 122X/150X/Flatcap2X.
Room is 20' length x 12' wide x 18' high and I'm listening across the width.
I'm thinking floorstanders, but could be persuaded to stand mounts. Budget around £1000-£1200.

Any hearty recommendations welcome...

btw, hope I've posted this in the right section...It's not specifically a TT Q, but a TT fans Q :)

lotsofvinyl

Nov 4, 2019
Visit site
Now added to the list :)
Cheers Al ears

Also considering the Dali Ob 5 and the ATC SCM 11. probably very different sounding speakers, but that's the challenge. What sounds good to one person, may not to another. Got the chance to hear some Spendor A4s the other day (award winning, highly recommended etc, etc)...didn't like them. No 'sparkle' to them. Not a great deal of imaging either. Bit surprised about that. Or maybe my hearing is shot.. :|

Reactions: Al ears
Now added to the list :)
Cheers Al ears

Also considering the Dali Ob 5 and the ATC SCM 11. probably very different sounding speakers, but that's the challenge. What sounds good to one person, may not to another. Got the chance to hear some Spendor A4s the other day (award winning, highly recommended etc, etc)...didn't like them. No 'sparkle' to them. Not a great deal of imaging either. Bit surprised about that. Or maybe my hearing is shot.. :|
I always said speakers simply have to be auditioned, hopefully in your own home. I quite like Spendors but they are not all the same.
Thought you were looking at floorstandsers so surprised to see ATC SCM11s on your list.
If you're going down this route I strongly suggest looking for EB Acoustics EB2s or the new variant from Arcaydis.
I own the original pair of EB2s and they are brilliant in the right system.

lotsofvinyl

Nov 4, 2019
Visit site
Yes, home audition is essential. My lounge layout can be troublesome for speakers.

I wish there was a 'man with a van' who could turn up with 3 pairs of speakers, so you could audition with ease rather than heading back to a dealer if the speakers don't sound great in your room!

The EB2s have got great reviews, but looks like an online order only (with 30 days return), so auditioning could be tricky.

I'm casting a wide net. Stand mounts or floorstanders – just trying to find the 'right' kind of balance in sound :)

Evening all,
I'm planning to upgrade my Dali Zensor 3 speakers (which have been a bit of a stopgap for the last year of so).
I listen mainly to vinyl from a GyroDec/SME 309/Ortofon Quintet blue, Trichord Dino phono stage through a Naim 122X/150X/Flatcap2X.
I'm thinking floorstanders, but could be persuaded to stand mounts. Budget around £1000-£1200.

btw, hope I've posted this in the right section...It's not specifically a TT Q, but a TT fans Q :)

Neat and PMC speakers have for many years been a great match for Naim amplification. I've no personal experience of Neat but have of PMC (old 'i' and the newer Twenty series) and they sound "right" for Naim's slightly forward presentation.

D

Deleted member 116933

Evening all,

Don't really understand what it has to do with your turntable. It will have more to do with your naim and whether they play nicely with your amp and what not. Though your have lovely little turntable and cart.

The usual names will get flung around like monkeys throwing brown stuff. PMC, ATC to my ear at this price range theres better, espcailly when paired with naim gear, sounding flat and lifeless.

Revel Concerta 2 (though if you can push it the 106m are amazing) and Russell k 100, all hitting around your budget and little over both brands sounding much better. Dont underestimate these little speakers bass performance, sounding full and truly huge with great imagining to boot they play better than many floorstander's in the right room

A brand that seems to be in fashion ATM buchardt audio but i have no experience with them with naim though Mads seem's to think they would work incredibly well with naim when i was on the hunt .

Thens theres neat, kef and focal? but the above would be where i'd start being a previous naim owner but a lot will depend on your room. Have fun! Audition at home if you can, walk away if you cant there just no point
Hifi comer will happily help here or David at the little audio company

Sorry for the spelling writing this on my phone while in meeting LOL

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Scrape together just a few more pennies, and KEF R3 are the answer.

I listened to LOTS of speakers up to around £2k and there just was nothing else close (apart from B&W 705S2, but they were a little short on midrange ooomph, and a lot more money!).

Reactions: davidf

lotsofvinyl

Nov 4, 2019
Visit site
Sorry for the delay in reply.

Cheers for all the ideas guys. Have heard a lot of good things about the KEFs, so they'll be on the list.
Have tried the PMC FB1+ (or similar)...not enough bass when quiet. Too much bass when loud. My lounge has freaking weird acoustics.

I will be popping out (when time permits around family – usual non-plussed shoulder shrugs from them) and visiting a few dealers around South London. I could possibly stretch my budget to £1500 if the speakers take me 'there'.

The list so far...
- Neat Motives
- Kef R3
- Revel Concerta 2
- Have 'reached out' to Arcaydis about the EB2S, but no email reply – never a good start for an internet only distributorFyne Audio F501
- Dali Oberon 5 (really liked the 3, fabulous midrange not enough low end though!) cheapest option on the list, but it's not just about spending the whole budget.

So quite a mixed bag really. I've always found this incredibly hard (and time consuming – get the speakers home for a demo, and back if they don't 'work') but really fun. Having a good starting list always essential.

If they're anyone around South London that can put up with a (relatively) sane gent popping in to listen to their system/recommendation, I'm more than happy to supply biscuits ....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts