New Speakers £1000 - £2000

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Please do.

Regarding the Tannoy, by all means audition but they are bright sounding and i'm 100% sure how they will sound. You may like them though!

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
jawnee:
I use a 5i with ProAc 140's which sound great, so a pair of these or the D18's would go well.

Yes I agree, especially with the D18s, they sound fantastic driven by a Uniti so there should be no problem with a Nait 5i - provided of course, you're prepared to stretch your budget to 2k.

rocketride

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
What about Neat Motive 2 or perhaps Motive 2 SE? I think Neat is almost the perfect match for Naim.

I support the idea to try your 5i with Spendor A5 too. Good luck!
emotion-5.gif

eternaloptimist

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
Re: the Spendor A5s.... When looking into speakers recently, auditioned the big brother - the Spendor A6 - with Naim... was not impressed. The sound was very "boring" - very good sound stage, nice mid range but limited base extension.
PMC FB1i were great - very clean sound.
I think you would struggle with ATCs which I am told love power!
But.. found and then left with my Audiovectors :) Would you consider Audiovectors? A lot of people considering the Spendor / PMC / ATC / Proac group also look at Audiovectors. I am of course hopelessly biased!

A

Anonymous

There are just too many options!

I have not even considered any Audiovectors, Are there any models you would point out?

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
In all likelihood your auditioning experience will be different from mine, given the different amp, but certainly based on my listenings on Saturday just gone I suggest the following within your price range:-

ProAc Studio 140 Mk2

Neat Motive 1

KEF XQ30

Dynaudio Excite X32

Enjoy!

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
eternaloptimist:Re: the Spendor A5s.... When looking into speakers recently, auditioned the big brother - the Spendor A6 - with Naim... was not impressed. The sound was very "boring" - very good sound stage, nice mid range but limited base extension.PMC FB1i were great - very clean sound. I think you would struggle with ATCs which I am told love power!But.. found and then left with my Audiovectors :) Would you consider Audiovectors? A lot of people considering the Spendor / PMC / ATC / Proac group also look at Audiovectors. I am of course hopelessly biased!

I was very impressed with the rather "ordinary" looking Audiovector floorstanders at Munich this year, I think they were around £5-6k though. They were producing the best sound amongst a plethora of weird and wonderful wardrobe-sized exotica. Not heard the cheaper models...

seasiders rock

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
emotion-11.gif
Another vote for the Audiovectors, if you can find the M3i Super second hand dont hesitate just buy them.

I have owned some speakers over 35 years, these are possible the best that have ever graced my living room.

Easy to drive, finish and build is supurb and they sound sublime. Possible It,s the Danish synergy with the Lyngdorf.

Current model at £2000 is the S3 with improved cabinet and drivers.Straight to the bottom of the page they blew my Dali Suite 2.8 clear out of the water.

Recommended.
emotion-21.gif

T

the record spot

NickD2544:
Sorry yeah Sensitivity i mean, So use to saying DB.

I do like to drive them to a high volume sometimes when i get carried away a bit. The room is about 6x4m not a massive space but lots of room around them.

Want to give it a bit of welly? You could try auditioning a pair of these if you can find them: RRR FS100s, apparently good sturdy construction from an (I think) Slovenian company. Hi Fi World raved about them a while back and still rate them now in their recommended contemporary kit list. £1000 or so in £2007. Might be worth looking over as they've a 91db sensitivity and, according to HFW, have a huge soundstage, so they could be what floats your boat.
http://www.rrr.lv/en/products/acoustic-systems/giant-fs-100/18

And of course, I haven't heard these - and I know some folk find it pointless recommending something they haven't heard; we can all quote names after all - but these tick some of your boxes and are on budget. How they'd pair up with your amp and source is another matter of course.

eternaloptimist

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
Excellent suggestion. In the Audiovectors, the S3 series has recently replaced the M3 series so there may be a number of M3s going around. The M3i Super is an excellent speaker!

A

Anonymous

Love these suggestions the RRR FS100s look very big and dare i say it very nice. I have found them for about £500 are they really this cheap?

Naxos

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
If you ARE thinking of spending to the top of your budget and looking at Neat, do try the Elite SX as well with your Naim - not quite as easy to drive, perhaps, but I absolutely love mine, although they rarely seem to make it into anyone's short list.

T

the record spot

NickD2544:Love these suggestions the RRR FS100s look very big and dare i say it very nice. I have found them for about £500 are they really this cheap?

Hi Nick, I couldn't say for sure; the retail price was listed in HFW for £1000 back in 2007, that might have risen since then. Also, you might not find them in too many dealers (the brand is Latvian and the company goes back to the 1920s). That said, they seemed like a good shout, but how they match (or might match) with your other gear is another issue!

EDIT: check out the link below from the British Audio Journal (trade publication) - Paul Messenger's thoughts on these very speakers are on Page 13. BY the bye - they clock in at 43.5kgs each. Mind your backs!

http://www.thebaj.com/pdf/baj_issue49.pdf

A

Anonymous

Hi Guys,

Thanks very much again for your suggestions i am going to hunt around to audition some Neats but there FS-100 are intriguing, Something about them makes me want to see and listen to them.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Here here for the ProAcs!

Was lucky enough to lay my hands on an ex demo pair of studio 130's and they are perfect, for me that is and that was after trying loads of others such as PMC, ATC SCM11, Usher, Rega RS7(very nice) ProAc DB1 and 2 and Mark&Daniel maximus.

Sugden A21L amp, Rega Saturn CDP, ProAc Studio 130 speakers, Chord Cobra 3 IC.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi Nick

I keep seeing this thread title, and for some reason thought I'd already replied earlier in the thread! But I notice I haven't. So here goes...

The Nait 5i (i or i?) is a cracking little amp, and as much as I love it, it does have limitations. Many speakers already mentioned just aren't going to be controlled properly with the 5i, which will lead to a dull, lifeless sound. Seeing as you like to drive things hard every now and again, I'd stick to higher sensitivity speakers, and preferably easier loads as far as impedance are concerned. The Neats, which are designed on Naim equipment, would be the first port of call. A nice lively sounding speaker that isn't going to demand too much from the amplifier. The new Motive 2se would be the ideal model here, especially if higher volumes are called for.

KEF's new Q900 will also be a contender. I've been trying out the Q300's on the Nait and they're fabulous. The only drawback here is that Q900's are going to be a couple of weeks away.

B&W's and Dynaudios need a bit of space to work well, and need more bass control than the average speaker, partly because their tonal balance is shifted more towards bass. It's not that these speakers outclass the Nait, it's just that the Nait, and many other amplifiers in the Nait's price bracket just don't have enough control for them.

ATC need more than the Nait 5i can provide. Their low sensitivity means the volume control will be up a couple of extra notches, so if you already listen close to 12 o'clock, the Nait will run out of steam. ATC's ideally need at least an XS to start getting what's required from them.

ProAc Studio 140.2's wil be worth trying - a nice energetic sounding speaker that should work fine with the Nait 5i. The Response D18 ideally needs a Nait pre/power or a SuperNait to start getting the best from them.

We felt that when Tannoy raised their prices, the Revolution series sort of priced itself out of the market, as it brought the DC6T up to the KEF XQ30 price point. The little KEF's are an amazing speaker, and if you like their revealing, 'not scared to give it to you' nature, you may love them, so they'll be worth a try. They're not hard to drive, so should work well with a Nait 5i.

All of the above I've commented on (other than the Q900, and the Motive 2se's - only heard Motive 2's) I've heard with various amps here, including the Nait 5i.

A

Anonymous

Hi David,

Thanks very much for your advice there! Was great to hear your views in such detail. I was considering the KEF Q900 as they match my Mezzo 8s in ways and i also quite like the styling of them. Just need to wait until i can hear them and start auditioning a few. If only your store was closer to Liverpool!

Thanks again

Nick

A

Anonymous

Just a bit too small im after floor standers really, Would be quite a step down from the towers of power i have at the minute scale wise as well as size.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
NickD2544:If only your store was closer to Liverpool!

We get that a lot
emotion-1.gif

Why not make a day of it? We're about an hour and a half away - I'll happily knock off some petrol money/parking off any purchase - we've got plenty to listen to!
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

I might just do that! Shame you dont do anything on finance well probably good i would end up with a whole new system then!

Kevin Stephens

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
I'm sure Frank Harvey would give excellent service, a bit closer to your home I've always found Doug Brady in Warrington very good - a Naim dealer and has lot's of the speakers you are considering

A

Anonymous

Thanks very much Kevin i shall look into that :D

My new Russ andrews Wattgates arrived today so for the mean time these are keeping my mind of my new speakers haha

TRENDING THREADS