New Speakers £1000 - £2000

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey all,

I am looking to upgrade my speakers i currently have Mordaunt-Short Mezzo 8's which are wonderful speakers but i feel like a change and would like something different sound wise as well. Looking more around the £1000 - £1500 but if there would be a massive difference am willing to spend a bit extra.

I would like to stick with floor standers, Any suggestions would really be appreciated i have a few in mind like the new KEF Q900 but need to see and hear 1st.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Nick

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Dynaudio Excite X32. WHF award winners and they also just received a major rave in the absolute sound mag. They are superb and look like a million bucks. Smaller than most but sound bigger. Nice slim package. Gorgeous open sound and bass that puts most competitors to shame. Just my Dynaudio lovin' opinion
emotion-4.gif

Other contenders would have to be PMC FB1i and B&W CM7, oh and neat motive 1s should be demoed as well...

A

Anonymous

I have the new Dynaudio DM 3/7, to me they sound like the x32 but cheaper. Looks really nice to.

NickD2544:

Hey all,

I am looking to upgrade my speakers i currently have Mordaunt-Short Mezzo 8's which are wonderful speakers but i feel like a change and would like something different sound wise as well. Looking more around the £1000 - £1500 but if there would be a massive difference am willing to spend a bit extra.

I would like to stick with floor standers, Any suggestions would really be appreciated i have a few in mind like the new KEF Q900 but need to see and hear 1st.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Nick

It's the old chestnut: Neat or PMC. Also worth considering Spendor A5.

A

Anonymous

I would love the Spendors but i think the DB is far too low for Naim same as the Dynaudio.

Any other ideas?

A

Anonymous

You said you fancied a different sound...:

s/h Shahinian Compasses for the low end of your price range (pair on eBay - altho slightly pricey to my eyes) or Arcs for more cash...

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:NickD2544:
I would love the Spendors but i think the DB is far too low for Naim same as the Dynaudio.

Any other ideas?

What does "DB is far too low..." mean?
He thinks the Naim will have problems driving them. Sensitivity, on other words.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Tarquinh:plastic penguin:NickD2544:

Any other ideas?

What does "DB is far too low..." mean?
He thinks the Naim will have problems driving them. Sensitivity, on other words.

Nick could be right, but then again it depends how hard he wants to drive the new speaker and equally important the size of the room.

A

Anonymous

Sorry yeah Sensitivity i mean, So use to saying DB.

I do like to drive them to a high volume sometimes when i get carried away a bit. The room is about 6x4m not a massive space but lots of room around them.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
I would highly recommend Dyn's for "normal" listening but if you like to crank it then you may come unstuck as the Naim just doesn't have enough where it matters. So yes speakers with a better sensitivity (yes this equates to db) would be a better option, preferably over 90.

Firstly, the Naim sounds far more powreful than its 50 watts. Secondly, I personally, wouldn't go beyond £1,400 when thinking of the Nait 5i. As regards the db issue, unless you live in a converted barn and you play it at wall shaking levels, the Naim should be fine with the brands I mentioned.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
I'm not saying what you have suggested is wrong!

You do agree though PP that a speaker that has a better sensitivity (db) will go louder.

A

Anonymous

I use a 5i with ProAc 140's which sound great, so a pair of these or the D18's would go well.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:Firstly, the Naim sounds far more powreful than its 50 watts. Secondly, I personally, wouldn't go beyond £1,400 when thinking of the Nait 5i. As regards the db issue, unless you live in a converted barn and you play it at wall shaking levels, the Naim should be fine with the brands I mentioned.1) I didn't. It's a very good amp, no question, but it sounds what it is. 2) I drove £ 2500 speakers with it and it sounded fine to me. Where does this £1400 limit come from? 3) I agree, though perhaps a tad less arrogance would be more palatable.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Tarquinh:I agree, though perhaps a tad less arrogance would be more palatable.

Arrogance, no. Just pointing out what Nick had said was correct. If it came across that way it wasn't intended.

Tarquinh:plastic penguin:Firstly, the Naim sounds far more powreful than its 50 watts. Secondly, I personally, wouldn't go beyond £1,400 when thinking of the Nait 5i. As regards the db issue, unless you live in a converted barn and you play it at wall shaking levels, the Naim should be fine with the brands I mentioned.1) I didn't. It's a very good amp, no question, but it sounds what it is. 2) I drove £ 2500 speakers with it and it sounded fine to me. Where does this £1400 limit come from? 3) I agree, though perhaps a tad less arrogance would be more palatable.

I wasn't referring to your comments, but the OPs in general. The £1,400 figure is a threshold figure I personally wouldn't exceed with the 5i.

A

Anonymous

shooter69:Tarquinh:I agree, though perhaps a tad less arrogance would be more palatable.Arrogance, no. Just pointing out what Nick had said was correct. If it came across that way it wasn't intended.I meant PPs comment about the speakers he recommended, nothing to do with your comments whatsoever.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Tarquinh:shooter69:Tarquinh:I agree, though perhaps a tad less arrogance would be more palatable.Arrogance, no. Just pointing out what Nick had said was correct. If it came across that way it wasn't intended.I meant PPs comment about the speakers he recommended, nothing to do with your comments whatsoever.

See and there's me getting worried.

A

Anonymous

shooter69:Tarquinh:shooter69:Tarquinh:I agree, though perhaps a tad less arrogance would be more palatable.Arrogance, no. Just pointing out what Nick had said was correct. If it came across that way it wasn't intended.I meant PPs comment about the speakers he recommended, nothing to do with your comments whatsoever.See and there's me getting worried.Don't worry, as my friends will attest, I'm an idiot.

A

Anonymous

Tarquinh, i don,t know why some people are saying that with an amp of that power and price, you should not spend up to £2000 for speakers and that 50 watts is not enough power. If you look at my gear you will see that i am driving £2000 speakers with a £900, 36 watt amp and i can tell you it sounds fantastic and can go to any level my ears will allow without loosing anything. Best to audition for yourself. Sometimes what is written down in paper, does not happen in reality.

A

Anonymous

I think the point is that rather than 50W being the problem here, it's the quality of the amp versus the price-level of the speakers. Only the OP can decide whether the match is acceptable. I used to use a £450 amp with £1300 speakers with superb results.

The sensitivity may become an issue if you're not careful. I suspect that 50W is only OK in small rooms if used with something like the Harbeth P3ESR. They're an easy drive but need volts!

A

Anonymous

Hey guys! Thanks very much for your advice and opinions! Hope my question didn't cause too much of an "heated debate" but i appreciate you guys putting your thinking caps on!

Im going to arrange a few dems for next week and i shall keep you posted! I did have my eye on going down the ATC, PMC or Spendor rout after seeing and hearing a couple a while back. But the Dynaudio and ProAc's sound like a must listen. I wouldn't mind having a look at the "Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6T" as i have heard these are meant to be great.

Cheers....

Again

Nick!

TRENDING THREADS