New Sony TDG-BR250 3D glasses review

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Having waited for over two months since I looked into getting these new glasses. Sony store's and some approved dealers have finally got some stock. The new TDG-BR250 re-chargeable 3D glasses. I had a demo of the smaller TDG-BR200 glasses last Friday and on the strength of that order some BR250's to have a look at. Well the news is good IMO, in that flicker is greatly reduced, to a point where you'd be hard pushed to notice it in all but the most testing of conditions. The glasses themselves are much lighter and more comfortable. There still quite well made too, even with the weight saving. Another great plus is that they are now re-chargeable in just 30 minutes for 30 hours of playback and if you come to watch a film and there flat, you can give them a short (3 minutes) burst that's good for 3 hours. I've tried several discs with them and found them a definate improvement over the TDG-BR100's that I got with my TV. Most people, myself included have complained that they suffer with eyestrain of one kind or another when viewing 3D over per-longed periods. So I settled down to watch a film and can confirm no eyestrain at all. My tolerance had been about twenty to twenty five minutes before this. Without the flicker, I could enjoy the 3D much more. The 3D looked a lot better as well. With well defined depth and edges. Cross talk seemed reduce to a point that I only noticed it once or twice and it didn't spoil my enjoyment of the film. So overall a big thumbs up. They could have just saved 3D for me.

A

Anonymous

Knowing how "popular" 3D is on the forum, I thought I'd have had a couple of replies. 3D looks to be here to stay and gamers will make up the majority I feel, at least for the minute, so any improvement as got to be a good thing. Especially for those who have already invested deliberately on not in 3D technology. It could just make the investment worth while.
smiley-tongue-out.gif

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Jase 3D may well be here to stay as you say. Like me a lot of others on the forum may be waiting to see which wins the 3D war between Active Shutter & Passive 3D technology, so im going to wait before i invest.

Out of interest how much were your new glasses?

Regards..Paul

A

Anonymous

f1only said:
Jase 3D may well be here to stay as you say. Like me a lot of others on the forum may be waiting to see which wins the 3D war between Active Shutter & Passive 3D technology, so im going to wait before i invest.

Regards..Paul

The new glasses were £79.99 each. There are some smaller ones, the TDG-BR200's for kids or if you haven't got a very big head
smiley-tongue-out.gif
. They come in at £59.99. Both are re-chargeable. They made a big difference to my viewing pleasure. I'm thinking of playing Crysus 2 from the beginning again. There that easy on the eyes.

A

Anonymous

Can these be used with all Sony 3d tv's? I've got a kdl46nx713 which has the older replaceable batteries that I'd like to replace if I can.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
f1only said:

I don't really understand why, this is not like Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, there's no reason why both Active and Passive systems can't exist alongside each other, they both work with current 3D sources and buying one now will not cause it to become unusable should one technology dominate over the other, because the delivery mechanism (ie 3D blu-ray or broadcast 3d) is not dependant on the TV technology present in the home.

The only real reason to wait is because, as Jase has discovered, the technology is likely to both significantly improve AND get cheaper over the coming few years.

A

Anonymous

Mikeb71 said:
Can these be used with all Sony 3d tv's? I've got a kdl46nx713 which has the older replaceable batteries that I'd like to replace if I can.

Hi Mike, as far as I'm aware these glasses work with all current and older Sony 3D TV's. Mines an older model than yours, and they work a treat.

A

Anonymous

The_Lhc said:
Jase Brown said:
Knowing how "popular" 3D is on the forum, I thought I'd have had a couple of replies.

Really? This is exactly the response I'd have predicted based on forum popularity.

Sorry. It was a little bit of sarcasm. Not mention to offend anyone. I was just hoping to encourage some interest from gamers and people who might like 3D, or for those who have not made up their minds.

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
f1only said:

The only real reason to wait is because, as Jase has discovered, the technology is likely to both significantly improve AND get cheaper over the coming few years.

Well pointed out The_Lhc & precisely another reason why i'm going to wait. My Tv is only a couple of years old, so can well afford to leave my purchasing for things to improve in all departments.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply, Jase.

My wife contacted Sony last week to get hold of some of the filters to see if they help with reducing flicker etc. but I'll eventually get some of the new glasses once the price drops a bit.

Mike.

A

Anonymous

Jase Brown said:
f1only said:

Regards..Paul

The new glasses were £79.99 each. There are some smaller ones, the TDG-BR200's for kids or if you haven't got a very big head
smiley-tongue-out.gif
. They come in at £59.99. Both are re-chargeable. They made a big difference to my viewing pleasure. I'm thinking of playing Crysus 2 from the beginning again. There that easy on the eyes.

Can I ask where you got the glasses for £79.99 please?

Timbot

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Just a little link to do with advice on 3d products. Sorry if I'm being a party pooper but thought I'd share some official advice from the Association of Optometrists.

http://www.aop.org.uk/uploads/press_releases/is_3d_technology_an_eyesore_for_children.pdf

A

Anonymous

aspick said:
Jase Brown said:
f1only said:

Regards..Paul

smiley-tongue-out.gif
Can I ask where you got the glasses for £79.99 please?

As far as I'm aware, there available from Sony stores at that price. I got a local dealer to order some in for me as I like to spend my money locally.

Follow this link: http://www.sony.co.uk/product/tpa-other-tv-accessories/tdg-br250-b

A

Anonymous

Timbot said:
Just a little link to do with advice on 3d products. Sorry if I'm being a party pooper but thought I'd share some official advice from the Association of Optometrists. http://www.aop.org.uk/uploads/press_releases/is_3d_technology_an_eyesore_for_children.pdf

Interesting that there is no real medical opinion quoted in the link. Just conjecture. As the organisation is a regulatory body for retailers rather than doctors, I'd see this of more a way to work on parents worries and maybe a new revenue stream.

Timbot

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I'd like to think of myself more as a clinician rather than just a "retailer"!

The College of Optometrists and the General Optical council are the regulatory bodies. The Association of Optometrists are kind of like a union. They provide legal assistance (hopefully not required!) and advice on clinical issues such as the above where required. Karen Sparrow is a registered optometrist so one would hope she knows her stuff! And I'm not quite sure what's in it for her or us regarding the revenue stream you mentioned. Don't recall stocking or recommending any 3d specs over the last few years and don't think it'll be happening in the future. You can borrow my copy of Pickwell's Binocular Vision Anomalies if you want to look into children's visual development for a "non-conjectured" opinion.

A

Anonymous

Hi, waited a year to get 2 more pairs of 3D spex for a family of 4, & I wanted a price reduction as well as improvements all round. Had a go with the latest pair today with my 8yr old daughter. Immediately she described the picture as sharper, less flicker. The new pair are so much lighter too so shouldn't pinch your nose during the second half of the footie after a while of wearing them. The previous pair fitted ok over my regular spex, in contrast the new ones are a much better fit without making me feel the need to go snorkeling too. The idea of being able to recharge them via any USB hub in the home-laptop, tv etc ensures convenience. I had to wait till today to buy replacement batteries for my current 3D spex several days after they ran out.

I'll be buying a pair. Just need to justify it to the missus now...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts