NEW: Rega P3

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Stock has been available since just before Record Store Day. There was a little dry period just after launch due to demand, but I think that's getting back to normal now.

Does the sound of the new Plana 3 warrant the demand ?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
alchemist 1 said:
Certainly does. It is worth the extra over an RP3 based purely on visual improvement alone, and that's before you take into account the better materials used and its improved sound quality.

Chris Munden

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
There is no doubt about it, Rega are giving the vinyl fans some really good turntables. Each new model they bring out is an improvement on the older model it replaces, however, I suspect the improvements are not quite as dramatic as some would say, I think Rega work on the 'evolution' principle rather than the revolution.

I have an original early 80's Planar 3 with RB300 arm, its had a few 'tweaks' over the years and it sounds great, I would be more inclined to move up a step if I was to replace my Planar 3 rather than just get another up dated Rega deck. So my upgrade path would be some thing like a Clear Audio or Michell. If I was starting out then yes, the new Planar 3 would get my attention.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I did hear one a couple of weeks ago, sounded ok but I did not have time to compare it with other turntables and cartridges. It had the factory fitted Rega cart. Low noise but I was not blown away with the bass and dynamics, something seemed to be missing. Maybe a better cart. would improve things. Does seem good value at £550.

BigH said:
I did hear one a couple of weeks ago, sounded ok but I did not have time to compare it with other turntables and cartridges. It had the factory fitted Rega cart. Low noise but I was not blown away with the bass and dynamics, something seemed to be missing. Maybe a better cart. would improve things. Does seem good value at £550.

Perhaps you now understand how I feel about Rega cartridges. They can make decks but are somewhat lacking when it comes to their cheaper cartridges. I must say I have not heard their latest and greatest but the deck itself can be considered a bargain with that tonearm. Just buy a third-party cartridge and you will possibly have a giant slayer in the right system.

David@FrankHarvey said:
The difference between cartridges isn't too dissimilar to changing the tonal balance or any other aspect of a system with speakers. Preference.

I quite agree which is probably why it is best to buy a deck without the usual culprits fitted thus actually giving you a preference.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:
BigH said:

Perhaps you now understand how I feel about Rega cartridges. They can make decks but are somewhat lacking when it comes to their cheaper cartridges. I must say I have not heard their latest and greatest but the deck itself can be considered a bargain with that tonearm. Just buy a third-party cartridge and you will possibly have a giant slayer in the right system.

You are probably correct but without a home demo and other TTs and carts its very difficult to tell, this is a problem with demos. Strange system and room. I think buying new or ex demo is probably the way to go with Turntables as the used prices seem too high.

BigH said:
Al ears said:
BigH said:

You are probably correct but without a home demo and other TTs and carts its very difficult to tell, this is a problem with demos. Strange system and room. I think buying new or ex demo is probably the way to go with Turntables as the used prices seem too high.

You could be right, however trying to get a home demo of a turntable is not going to be easy and a cartridge.... well best forget that.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
ok then chaps

today I have got the new Planar 3 on a demo at home

First up it was supplied with Elys2 - initially thought the deck sounded very underwhelming

So, I have just put a Tecnoarm with Nagaoka MP500 on it and my word this deck sounds really nice - anybody who buys one with an Elys 2 really isnt getting the best out of this deck.

Dont how it would sound with the RB330 & Nag 500 but I will have a go tomorrow

In the meantime the deck really looks nice, the plinth isnt quite as well finished as the RP6 but better than the RP3

The Glass platter is improved to, on the edge - seems to let more light through - better than the old one.

Anybody in the market for a TT at this price - get a Planar 3

Some pics on my twiitter account @SteveBrocko

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Interesting that Steve. Have read the review in Hi-Fi Choice. They say the one thing holding it back is the Elys which s relatively old. They put the Nag 150 on it and are full of praise for the combo so i imagine the RB330 and MP500 will work very well.

stevebrock said:
the Elys2 is just pants

Well I won't say I told you so. ;-)

Anyone who buys a turntable fitted with a standard pre-fitted cartridge is, I am afraid, a mug. The convienience factor is there sure but they are invariably missing out on what that turntable and arm combo can actually do.

Be aware, dealers are there to help if you cannot fit a cartridge yourself. You can do so much better for your money and should insist on it.

The usual culprits in the way of cartridges are best avoided. You can do so much better with third-party cart for about the same money. Plug and play is all very well but it's normally plug and play not so very well.

Ortofon would not sell many 3M Reds on their own merit, and God knows who actually makes Rega cartridges.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
stevebrock said:
ok then chaps

First up it was supplied with Elys2 - initially thought the deck sounded very underwhelming

So, I have just put a Tecnoarm with Nagaoka MP500 on it and my word this deck sounds really nice - anybody who buys one with an Elys 2 really isnt getting the best out of this deck.

In the meantime the deck really looks nice, the plinth isnt quite as well finished as the RP6 but better than the RP3

The Glass platter is improved to, on the edge - seems to let more light through - better than the old one.

Thanks for that Steve
thumbs_up.gif
I'll be interested to know how the Nag/RB330 combo sounds...

Chris Munden

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
I suspect that Rega need to keep their decks at certain price points in the market place and fitting the old Elys which is probably quite cheap for them achieves that marketing strategy. I agree its not the best cartridge for a great sounding deck like the Planar 3, although some people like it never the less. There are plenty of after market upgrades that can be done at a later date, but its quite possible the buyer has a budget to work to at time of purchase and an upgrade cartridge could take them over budget. Rega like Project wanted to give the customer a deck straight out the box that can be up and running with very little setting up.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I've heard the P3 a couple of times recently (both with the Elys2) - once in a fairly high-end system with KEF Blades fed by two Devialet amps in dual mono mode suspended on 3 Stillpoints with the lid attached & closed. It sounded OK but The Hounds Of Love sounded rather coloured. A Kind of Blue sounded much much better. The Stillpoints were removed & on a casual listen, sounded no worse for it.

The 2nd time was Saturday in Winchester in an all-Rega system comprising of a Brio amp & RX3s. I took Heavy Weather with me - the 1st LP I own I've played in over 25ys. It sounded pretty good. I also listened to an LP3 (again with an Elys2). Without going back & forth between the 2, I thought the P3 sounded less distorted & slightly clearer but not by a mile. I consider paying the extra £100 worth while. I did find the system a little brighter than mine.

I'm going to hang on a bit before buying - I need to research what cartridge to use with one. Maybe an Exact.

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
stevebrock said:
ok then chaps

How does it compare to your benchmark Gyro se ?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
ok chaps

Now i have had the whole day to myself I put the the RB330 arm on with the Nag 500 and to be honest there is not a lot in it ( RB303 v Tecnoarm ) - however the treble seems to be slightly rolled off and the mid range a little recessed. The Tecnoarm has Silver Litz wiring so not sure if that has an influence but in the grand scheme of things the Tecnoarm wins it.

I have had a few days of fun listening to this Planar 3 - for the money its excellent value for money but I really would buy a different cartridge - maybe the best Nagaoka or AT you can afford.

I really think the Planar 3 looks really nice with its glossy plinth and the platter is visually improved over the old RP3 platter.

Out of interest just plugged my Gyro back in - there really is no contest in a deck costing 7 times as much as the Planar 3 - tight snappy bass, lovely teble & great imaging it just wills you to play more records......but thats no surprise really.

stevebrock said:
ok chaps

Now i have had the whole day to myself I put the the RB330 arm on with the Nag 500 and to be honest there is not a lot in it ( RB303 v Tecnoarm ) - however the treble seems to be slightly rolled off and the mid range a little recessed. The Tecnoarm has Silver Litz wiring so not sure if that has an influence but in the grand scheme of things the Tecnoarm wins it.

I have had a few days of fun listening to this Planar 3 - for the money its excellent value for money but I really would buy a different cartridge - maybe the best Nagaoka or AT you can afford.

I really think the Planar 3 looks really nice with its glossy plinth and the platter is visually improved over the old RP3 platter.

Out of interest just plugged my Gyro back in - there really is no contest in a deck costing 7 times as much as the Planar 3 - tight snappy bass, lovely teble & great imaging it just wills you to play more records......but thats no surprise really.

Thanks for that Steve. I guess it just bears out what I've been saying all along and that is, with vinyl, you tend to get what you pay for and a really decent set-up cannot be done on the cheap.

Yes you can buy cheap decks that will play records but that's not the end of it is it?

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
alchemist 1 said:
Certainly does. It is worth the extra over an RP3 based purely on visual improvement alone, and that's before you take into account the better materials used and its improved sound quality.
Should be interesting to see how these two new additions to eaches stable compare....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts