NEW PS3 SPEC

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have just looked on the playstation website and the spec for the sound says:

Audio output: LPCM 7.1ch, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD, AAC

Not too up on the old spec but is this the same or any better.

For 249.99 i was thinking of one of these instead of a new bluray player its going through onkyo 506 kith kef 2005.3 speakers new panny 50'v10.

A

Anonymous

Exactly the same spec as the old 'phat' PS3. Although, there is a new firmware (3.0) being launched on 1 September (same time as the PS3 slim launch) and there rumours on the forums that that more codecs will be available.....

cloud7

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
vineetpatel69:Exactly the same spec as the old 'phat' PS3. Although, there is a new firmware (3.0) being launched on 1 September (same time as the PS3 slim launch) and there rumours on the forums that that more codecs will be available.....

Perhaps the firmware 3.0 can upgrade the conventional PS3 for bitstreaming the DTS HD MA and DOLBY TRUEHD. It's glad to see these audio codec light-up. Do you??

FuzzyinLondon

Dec 5, 2007
Visit site
cloud7:
vineetpatel69:Exactly the same spec as the old 'phat' PS3. Although, there is a new firmware (3.0) being launched on 1 September (same time as the PS3 slim launch) and there rumours on the forums that that more codecs will be available.....

Perhaps the firmware 3.0 can upgrade the conventional PS3 for bitstreaming the DTS HD MA and DOLBY TRUEHD. It's glad to see these audio codec light-up. Do you??

I doubt it. I think it may well be the hardware limitations of the PS3 that prevent it from bitstreaming HD Audio. I'm more than happy to be proved wrong though.

cloud7

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
FuzzyinLondon:cloud7:

I doubt it. I think it may well be the hardware limitations of the PS3 that prevent it from bitstreaming HD Audio. I'm more than happy to be proved wrong though.

I see.... But, do you realize that the PS3 is able to decode the DTS-HD MA & DOLBY TRUEHD after the firmware 2.xx upgraded?

There is still the possibility to let the conventional PS3 to bitstream these audio codec!

A

Anonymous

cloud7:

Just been reading that the new slimmer PS3 will be able to bistream DTS HD MA and DOLBY TRUEHD. I may have to get one and put the old one in the bedroom. I just want to see the HD lights flash up on my amp!!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
cloud7:I see.... But, do you realize that the PS3 is able to decode the DTS-HD MA & DOLBY TRUEHD after the firmware 2.xx upgraded?

There is still the possibility to let the conventional PS3 to bitstream these audio codec!

It's been mooted for a while that, while the conventional "fat" PS3 can decode these HD formats onboard, a hardware limitation means that it can't bitstream them via HDMI to a receiver / processor and thus no firmware update will ever allow this.

Given the reports the new PS3 will be able to bitstream the HD formats means either (a) the above is wrong and a new firmware update will allow this on the old PS3; (b) the new PS3 has removed that hardware limitation meaning it will be able to bitstream the HD formats whilst the older one will still have to decode onboard or (c) reports are wrong and the new one will only be able to decode onboard as well.

Which of these is true will no doubt become clear soon
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Word is that the Slim PS3 has a new HDMI chip thus allowing bitstream of the new HD codecs.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
professorhat:Given the reports the new PS3 will be able to bitstream the HD formats means either (a) the above is wrong and a new firmware update will allow this on the old PS3; (b) the new PS3 has removed that hardware limitation meaning it will be able to bitstream the HD formats whilst the older one will still have to decode onboard or (c) reports are wrong and the new one will only be able to decode onboard as well.

Which of these is true will no doubt become clear soon
emotion-5.gif

You're a true master of deduction, Prof
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

just been looking up the spec of new ps3 to, it does seem it will bitstream truehd & dts hd ma. does anyone know for def that it is beyond the limits of the hardware of the old ps3 to output them over bitstream, it does seems a lot of people are saying this.

A

Anonymous

darren123:just been looking up the spec of new ps3 to, it does seem it will bitstream truehd & dts hd ma. does anyone know for def that it is beyond the limits of the hardware of the old ps3 to output them over bitstream, it does seems a lot of people are saying this.

Yes the (old) PS3 is limited by hardware i'm afraid.

TRENDING THREADS