New Phono Preamp? Cartridge?

Olpucker

Mar 11, 2023
Visit site
Here is my current setup.
Technics Sl-3200 with AT-VM95E cartridge.
Sony STR-DH190 stereo receiver
Sony SSCS5 speakers

What I want is warmer sound.
Do I add a new cartridge AT-VM95ML or AT-VM540ML?
Add a phono preamp?
Not interested in changing the receiver at the moment as my wife likes the bluetooth function.

Thoughts?

Welcome to the forum!

Its a shame your receiver doesn’t have tone controls, as then you could turn the treble down a bit. Is the cartridge set at 2 grams downforce, because it sounds better that way? The ML stylus is a straight swap, and will be a bit sweeter if everything is set perfectly. But the turntable is getting on a bit and I’d nit spend more on it.

If that’s your only source, then there are other cartridges that you might prefer. An Ortofon 2M Red is under £100 and is the most rounded off 2M model. But it might sound boring after the AT.

How are the speakers placed, because careful angling on good stands makes a big difference? But I’ve no idea what they naturally sound like, and I suspect I’d prefer a smooth Q Acoustics model like the 3020i.

Olpucker

Mar 11, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to the forum!

Its a shame your receiver doesn’t have tone controls, as then you could turn the treble down a bit. Is the cartridge set at 2 grams downforce, because it sounds better that way? The ML stylus is a straight swap, and will be a bit sweeter if everything is set perfectly. But the turntable is getting on a bit and I’d nit spend more on it.

If that’s your only source, then there are other cartridges that you might prefer. An Ortofon 2M Red is under £100 and is the most rounded off 2M model. But it might sound boring after the AT.

How are the speakers placed, because careful angling on good stands makes a big difference? But I’ve no idea what they naturally sound like, and I suspect I’d prefer a smooth Q Acoustics model like the 3020i.

The turntable was inherited and I wasn't sure how much I would get into vinyl again at the time so I didn't want to invest much into a receiver and speakers. It is properly setup with 2 grams downforce. I am not against buying new or vintage components, just not sure where I should start and which way to go. I live in a big city so there is a lot of vintage equipment for sale. I have considered a new turntable, something like the Fluance RT85 or a Planar 2.

The receiver does have tone control for treble and bass on the remote control.

I will look into the Q Acoustics 3020i.

The turntable was inherited and I wasn't sure how much I would get into vinyl again at the time so I didn't want to invest much into a receiver and speakers. It is properly setup with 2 grams downforce. I am not against buying new or vintage components, just not sure where I should start and which way to go. I live in a big city so there is a lot of vintage equipment for sale. I have considered a new turntable, something like the Fluance RT85 or a Planar 2.

The receiver does have tone control for treble and bass on the remote control.

I will look into the Q Acoustics 3020i.
Ah, then try adjusting the tone to suit. You might enjoy the clarity on some recordings.

matthewpianist

Your amp and speakers are the weakest links in the chain at present. If you aren't open to changing the amp (which would bring significant gains all round), an external phono stage is really a must. The iFi Phono is excellent and affordable. Do be aware thought, that there's plenty of amps out there now with better all-round performance, a decent built-in phono stage and higher quality aptX Bluetooth.

I agree with the suggestion to try Q Acoustics 3020i. They aren't so analytical that they will expose the rest of your system beyond salvation, but certainly good enough to reflect any improvements you make elsewhere.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts