New Monitor Audio Silver 1 vs RX1

Mohsin

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
Has anyone heard both the new Silver 1 and the older RX1's? I was just wondering where the improvements are?

From the reviews I have read the new silver series comes across as being a little brighter so I would assume somwhere between the RX and the older RS?

Mo

steve4232

May 20, 2014
Visit site
I appreciate that you want to know about the '1' but I suspect that what applies to other model numbers in the same range compared to the previous "RX" range, holds true irrespective of the model?

I currently run the Silver RX8's and prior to these had the Silver RS8's. I haven't heard the Silver straight '8's'.

However two things stick in my mind. When MA brought out the RX's there was some talk about CAD software not being up to snuff at the time of development of the RS's so whilst design and theory was practical, "testing" wasn't. When the RX's came out MA could effectively test them using CAD software due to the huge advances made with CAD softweare over the previous half decade. As a result a lot of fine tuning was undertaken and some parts of the design were sent back to the "drawing board". The upshot of all this technology and development was that the RX's were universally accepted as being greatly superior to the RS's.

I have to say this was borne out by my own comparisons conducted with my sources / amps. The RX8's were hugely better than the RS8's, albeit the latter speakers were no slouches either! So I'm personally just a little sceptical that something done right and meticulously fine-tuned only 4 years ago, can be superseded quite so quickly all over again?

Another thing I note is that for all the current improvement(s) this magazine still only awards a **** star speaker with **** stars. If the price is the same and the improvment that noticeable, then surely they would be worth awarding ***** stars to now?

The jury's still out but I suspect the leap from Silver RX range to Silver won;t be as great or justifiable as the leap was from Silver RS to Silver RX.

Anyone else?

manicm

I have the RX1s, and it's not that the Silver 1s are brighter - I would just say clearer. The RX1s are excellent, but sometimes can't summon the punch the the music requires (try the instrumental India from Roxy Music's Avalon).

By all accounts the Silver 1s are an improvement, but still ultimately a sideways step from the RX1s - hence I'll keep them.

Update: The RX1s are a very sweet-sounding speaker, and I think they've changed that a bit with the Silver 1s.

Mohsin

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
Thank you for your replies. Steve that was very detailed and I completely agree in terms of the 4 star review. I can only imagine that although the Silver 1 are an improvement in most areas they may not be enough of an improvement to warrant a 5 star review, or that the current competition from other manufacturers has held it back. I personally really like what ive heard from MA but did find the RX2 a little bright. I have seen the Silver 1 in the gloss white finish and although I wouldnt normally buy a gloss finish I must admit they look awesome.

Mo

steve4232

May 20, 2014
Visit site
You're welcome, Mo!

One qualification I would make about brightness in the speakers is that it often boils down to the choice of amps being used. I have a very "neutral" system and my RX8's don't sound bright to me at all. They DO sound very detailed in the high frequencies but not overbearingly so or at the expense of everything else. In fact this magazine suggested they were good for listeners "addicted to bass". I personally don't hear that either. If they are crisp and detailed at the top end and deep and powerful in the bottom end and have a good clear warm and rich mid-range (which I feel they do) then by my reckoning that can't be a "bright" or "bassey" speaker, just a really good one capable of delivering everything!

I like all the MA's I've heard. They are very good value for money considering the excellent build quality and finish.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts