New mag headline

manicm

I do read PC and technology periodicals regularly online and in print, but I don't think the headline 'World's Best Tablet' has any place on the front of a primarily hifi magazine.

In any event, we do know the inevitable answer to said headline. Please re-assess your priorities.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Why not? Tablet devices are as much about delivering sound and vision as sending emails or tweets or surfing the interweb, and many use, or are thinking of using, them either as sources for, or means of controlling, audio and video systems.

As you may have noticed, we added 'Sound and Vision' to the title yonks back, reflecting the magazine's wider remit – although in fact we'd been reviewing products outwith the limited, and limiting, scope of 'hi-fi' almost since What Hi-Fi? was launched three and a half decades ago.

It's just a sign of the widening world of audio, video and home entertainment really: to many people, an iPad is as relevant an inclusion in the magazine as, say, a record player.

And it's only by continually re-examining our priorities that we've managed to keep WHFSV ahead of the rest of the magazine market in this sector for so many years.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
In support of WHF, I enjoyed reading the comparison and found it informative. I can't envisage any reader *not* being aware that this was different from the technical review you might get in a PC mag.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
manicm said:
I do read PC and technology periodicals regularly online and in print, but I don't think the headline 'World's Best Tablet' has any place on the front of a primarily hifi magazine.

In any event, we do know the inevitable answer to said headline. Please re-assess your priorities.

Then why buy it? I am sure there are more HIFI specific magazines available. If people didnt read it and buy it then it would not be published in future.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
As Andrew points out, we've been reviewing more than mere hi-fi for many years. I've recently been going through some issues from the '70s and '80s and they include reviews of everything from CB radios to video cameras to the very first stereo TVs, video recorders, Prestel services etc.

If it's a home/mobile technology that makes a sound or shows a picture, chances are we've covered it over the past 35 years!

But I appreciate convergence tech like tablets might not be everyone's thing: but then it's only a cover story and a few pages in the mag - there's far more core hi-fi and AV in this and every issue.

D

Deleted member 2457

Yeah, i enjoyed reading it too - much better than the "Ultimate iPad Review" guys. Big smile and a wink.

A

Anonymous

FWIW I support WHF in this one too, and I enjoyed reading the article. I stream my iTunes collection from my iPad to my SC-LX73 via Bluetooth, which keeps my iPhone free for remote control duties via the red eye at the same time. It's just how technology is going! Is it Audiophile no, but extremely convenient and still sounds good to me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts