Will a Rubber Duck Improve the Sound Quality?

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm waiting for some hifi "entrepreneur" to come out with the rubber duck....

John Lewis launches world’s first 'bath audio system' John Lewis has launched the world’s first ‘bath audio system’, which can transform a 3.5mm steel enamel bath into a super-sized Bluetooth speaker.

The new Sound Wave system from Kaldewei allows bathers to literally immerse themselves in their favourite songs. The bath itself acts as the sound box to deliver a high quality sound, which is enhanced and amplified when the tub is filled with water. As well as listening to their music, bathers can actually feel the vibration of the sound waves moving through the water as they relax.

The bath audio system can be controlled from any Bluetooth-enabled device – such as a tablet, smartphone or laptop – and up to eight devices can be paired with the system. “With people leading such busy lifestyles it’s important to have time to relax and reflect upon the day, and where better place to do this than in the bathroom," said Angela Ortmann-Torbett, sales director for West Europe, at Kaldewei. "Our new Sound Wave system was designed with this in mind, so people can choose a playlist which fits their mood.”

The Sound Wave system costs £587 and can be ‘retro-fitted’ to any existing of Kaldewei’s 3.5mm steel enamel bath tubs. It is available exclusively on the high street at John Lewis’ flagship Oxford Street shop. Sound Wave is one of a number of innovations on show at John Lewis’ newly-opened 'Fitted Studio' at its Oxford Street shop. The 6,500 sq ft studio designs and fits kitchens, bathrooms, bedrooms and personalised wine cellars, and includes 55 different displays which span across a wide range of price points. “Buying a bathroom is always a big decision and investment, so it’s important to ensure our customers find the perfect fit by adding their own personal touches," said Matt Thomas, fitted furniture buyer for John Lewis. "Kaldewei’s Sound Wave system is a great example, it is a subtle way to bring a unique element to any bathroom."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/10475175/John-Lewis-launches-worlds-first-bath-audio-system.html

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I once went in a swimming pool that had underwater speakers so that you could hear music when you put your head under the water. It had the Jaws theme tune playing on a loop. Pretty good sound quality too.

:help:

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Covenanter said:
I recommend that you use rubber ducks as supports for all your kit. They do of course require a lot of running in (or dabbling in to use the technical term).

Chris

Our apartment is right on the river, can I use real ducks?

Will they work as well?

@ davedotco I believe the use of real ducks might prove difficult in ability to pin them down and the resultant feedback acquired when doing so might prove deafening.

However there is the added benefit that, as a failed project, one can always roast them. :)

PS: It is a well known fact that the large rubber ducks, when place in corners, act as wonderful bass-traps. At least I thought it wasa well know fact, seemingly few employ it these days.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
davedotco said:
Covenanter said:
I recommend that you use rubber ducks as supports for all your kit. They do of course require a lot of running in (or dabbling in to use the technical term).

Chris

Our apartment is right on the river, can I use real ducks?

Will they work as well?

They will but getting identical ducks so that your equipment remains level will be a challenge. They do tend to wander off as well which is inconvenient and if ifxed in place they will start to smell. I'd stick to the rubber ones if I were you.

Chris

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Mmmmmm, I see the problem. Anyway ducks are fairly contrary creatures at the best of times.

Regarding bass traps, we have plenty of spare canada geese, these are bigger and more absorbent so should work better.

We have lots of rose ringed parakeets available too, quite possibly some of them related to Jimi Hendrix. These days they live on an eyot in the river or across the river in Kew gardens.

I thought several pairs allowed to fly around the listening room would help reduce the flutter echo I get from all my hard floors and windows.

KidKomet said:
Almost spat out my coffee. This thread is hilarious! I wonder what sponges and toy boats would bring to the sonic table?

It's well known sponges have no beneficial effect on sound in fact they make it go all 'wishy-washy', and as for toy boats, well whatever floats yours, as they say.

davedotco said:
Mmmmmm, I see the problem. Anyway ducks are fairly contrary creatures at the best of times.

Regarding bass traps, we have plenty of spare canada geese, these are bigger and more absorbent so should work better.

We have lots of rose ringed parakeets available too, quite possibly some of them related to Jimi Hendrix. These days they live on an eyot in the river or across the river in Kew gardens.

I thought several pairs allowed to fly around the listening room would help reduce the flutter echo I get from all my hard floors and windows.

Ringed-neck parakeets are noisy little sods and well known to project white substances at regular intervals. Best avoided in the home environment and utilised only in conjunction with outdoor PA systems.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
KidKomet said:
Almost spat out my coffee. This thread is hilarious! I wonder what sponges and toy boats would bring to the sonic table?

It's well known sponges have no beneficial effect on sound in fact they make it go all 'wishy-washy', and as for toy boats, well whatever floats yours, as they say.

You are of course only considering reticulated structures here.

Whether natural or synthetic, sponges of this type are 'open pore', which means they are open to the passage of air or water and completely useless for sound absorbtion. In fact they have so small an effect that they are the material used for loudpeaker 'grills'.

Non-reticulated sponges are a different matter altogether. These contain sealed air bubbles, they are excellent for impact protection, will not absorb moisture or pass air so make excellent sound absorbers.

Two of Mrs DDC's yoga mats placed behind the listening position are clearly beneficial sound wise though sadly not permitted from a decor perspective.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:

Hmm , Canada geese eh. These blighters would be a double wammy choice. Yup big and absorbant ,plus and this is a big plus , for those with laminate flooring or bare boards. Save a fortune on rugs to tame things down , these buggers cr*p everywhere just for the sake of it. If your room sounds a little dead , out with the shovel job done. You could actually experiment with piles of the stuff , take notes and move it around until satisfied.

Slight downside is you will need to start from scratch every day due to their over active ar*e ends , or ram a cork up their jacksies.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
floyd droid said:
davedotco said:

Hmm , Canada geese eh. These blighters would be a double wammy choice. Yup big and absorbant ,plus and this is a big plus , for those with laminate flooring or bare boards. Save a fortune on rugs to tame things down , these buggers cr*p everywhere just for the sake of it. If your room sounds a little dead , out with the shovel job done. You could actually experiment with piles of the stuff , take notes and move it around until satisfied.

Slight downside is you will need to start from scratch every day due to their over active ar*e ends , or ram a cork up their jacksies.

We have swans too, being 'royal' they are somewhat better behaved in the toilet department, Mrs Windsor might not aprove though.

Still trying to find a use for the parakeets, three pairs outside my window a few minutes ago. My cross siamese (top left) is fascinated by them, never seen green birds before...... :O

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:

Whether natural or synthetic, sponges of this type are 'open pore', which means they are open to the passage of air or water and completely useless for sound absorbtion. In fact they have so small an effect that they are the material used for loudpeaker 'grills'.

But surely a fishing net can make a perfectly good bass trap. :shifty:

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
matt49 said:
davedotco said:

But surely a fishing net can make a perfectly good bass trap. :shifty:

Good thinking, has it cured your bass f**ts?...... ;)

BTW. Spent the morning 'pottering' to the sound of Alfred Brendel playing the Haydn piano concertos.

The lovely Decca recordings too, I love Spotify....... :rockout:

mikeparker59

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
scene said:
When it comes to using live ducks, is it better to use native British mallards or imports such as ruddy ducks. Has anyone done an AB-X comparison?

I think you'll find in HiFi circles that British is rather well regarded, though of course these days the ducks are more than likely genetically engineered in GB but hatching generally done in China to keep costs down. I do believe however that a British genetically engineered duck is superior to some of the foreign ones, though Danish ducks are certainly well regarded in certain circles, in fact there are some nicely designed Scandinavian ducks available but usually at a price premium. Personally I'd still favour the use of 'British' ducks such as those genetically engineered by the likes of Quackdale, Morduck-Short, Kent Eider fowl aka KEF, et al. :grin:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
mikeparker59 said:
scene said:
When it comes to using live ducks, is it better to use native British mallards or imports such as ruddy ducks. Has anyone done an AB-X comparison?

I think you'll find in HiFi circles that British is rather well regarded, though of course these days bthe ducks are more than likely designed and tuned in GB but assembly is generally done in China to keep manufacturing costs down. I do believe however that a British designed duck is superior to some of the foreign ones, though Danish ducks are certainly well regarded in certain circles, in fact there are some nicely designed Scandinavian ducks available but usually at a price premium. Personally I'd still favour the use of 'British' ducks such as those designed by the likes of Quackdale, Morduck-Short, Kent Eider fowl aka KEF,and others. :grin:

Personally, I think the whole thing's a Dead Duck.....and when they get sold off at a discount, you better be quack or you'll lose the chance to bathe in sound. :)

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Al ears said:
I believe the use of real ducks might prove difficult in ability to pin them down and the resultant feedback acquired when doing so might prove deafening.

However there is the added benefit that, as a failed project, one can always roast them. :)

Come on then if you think you're hard enough. :mad:

Duck_zps29a3575d.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts