New Look Mag - First Impressions

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
"...And the Buyer's Guide's connected to the...

Database. The database connected to the...

Website. The website connected to the neck-bone...

Hear the word of the Lord!"

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Joe10155:

The main issue I have is with the highlighted phrases that have been added in the form of cut up strips of ticker tape instead of on a solid block of background colour. This format appears to me to dominate the page now that smaller & less bold headings are being used. Compare the "first tests" article with the "insider article". Then again it could partly be a background colour thing as the "home cinema amplifiers test" article the picked out phrases are a bit less domineering. IMO if these highlighted phrases were the verdict of the review it would justify its prominence on the page, but as it is I think it needs toning down.

Again, thanks for the feedback.
emotion-21.gif

The pullquotes - as us publishing types call them - did indeed get a little dominant in places. They'll be toned down a little from here on forward, but we feel they do give an 'in' to an otherwise solid slab of text; especially now we have more words on every page.
emotion-2.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Ronald Archiebald:It is good to see you rejoice in the name of the Lord.

Rejoicing may be taking it a bit far, but I do find I smile (mainly with relief) every month when he (or at least someone working for him) sends me a pay-slip...

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
"...And the Buyer's Guide's connected to the...

Database. The database connected to the...

Website. The website connected to the neck-bone...

Hear the word of the Lord!"

brilliant bone dry sarcasm
emotion-2.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
maxflinn:brilliant bone dry sarcasm
emotion-2.gif

Not sarcasm at all: just pointing out that website data and magazine buying guide are interconnected via the same database, so making changes tends move in somewhat more mysterious ways than might immediately be apparent.

In other words, changes to the magazine's buyers guide are contingent on us getting the site rebuild done and making it work on the servers in a live environment (first bit easy, second bit amazingly frustrating to date). But be assured, it's being worked on...

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
maxflinn:brilliant bone dry sarcasm
emotion-2.gif

Not sarcasm at all: just pointing out that website data and magazine buying guide are interconnected via the same database, so making changes tends move in somewhat more mysterious ways than might immediately be apparent.

In other words, changes to the magazine's buyers guide are contingent on us getting the site rebuild done and making it work on the servers in a live environment (first bit easy, second bit amazingly frustrating to date). But be assured, it's being worked on...

well it made me laugh anyway ..
emotion-21.gif

Clare Newsome:

Plenty of opportunity, of course, to discuss the mertis - or not- of second-hand kit on these very Forums.

And as i've mentioned previously, we do plan to offer a classifieds section on this website sometime soon. (And no, before anyone asks, I don't have an exact date, and don't have all the details of how it'll work yet
emotion-2.gif
)

I totally understand why WHFI S&V are reluctant to compare old kit with new stuff. The very nature of WHFI S&V is to test new and exclusive equipment. However, given the popularity of old components on this forum, I really do believe it would be beneficial to all parties to review the wrinklies two or three times a year, regardless of whether it has a warranty or not...
emotion-16.gif

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:Clare Newsome:

Plenty of opportunity, of course, to discuss the mertis - or not- of second-hand kit on these very Forums.

And as i've mentioned previously, we do plan to offer a classifieds section on this website sometime soon. (And no, before anyone asks, I don't have an exact date, and don't have all the details of how it'll work yet
emotion-2.gif
)

I totally understand why WHFI S&V are reluctant to compare old kit with new stuff. The very nature of WHFI S&V is to test new and exclusive equipment. However, given the popularity of old components on this forum, I really do believe it would be beneficial to all parties to review the wrinklies two or three times a year, regardless of whether it has a warranty or not...
emotion-16.gif

Yeah. A kind of 'Classic Kit' piece. Those items that have attained a cult status over the years. Could focus on what made it an icon, with a brief 'how's it sound/look now'.

PINK MOON

Aug 8, 2008
Visit site
I have bought WHF for the first time in 2002,, and in that time hardly missed an issue.

Good Points = Overall aesthetics, Larger Content And Variety of Content. Good mix of products.

Bad Points = The only bad point is I still read it too quickly, and have to wait another month for the next issue!!

Overall = To some extent it a new look was needed to keep it fresh, and a job well done.

A

Anonymous

Liking the new look, bring back 'I remember when'.....................

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:Er, no. We just decided not to use Forum user names this issue. We may reinstate for future issues (where applicable), as some of you feel so strongly about it!

You really should. See, I no longer have my mag (and curse me for that as it seems there have been some changes I didnt notice*) and so cannot return to it to see what the good Prof looks like, though I do like the feature he appeared in, as its basically reader rescue.

OT, but just so I don't drip too much praise all over the place, it really would be great to be able to copy, cut and paste while writing a post.

Also OT, when was the "sound and vision" added?

*For this reason, and the fact I don't like change, it'll take a while to get used to the new look.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:al7478:it really would be great to be able to copy, cut and paste while writing a post Huh?

One used to be able to copy and paste parts of your post within the, er, window in which you type your replies, i forget the poncey term for it. I made a mistake as I was typing that post and wanted to move a sentence, but I had to delete and re-type it.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
For the most part, enjoyed the re-boot.
emotion-21.gif

The editorial changes work well, especially the 'need to know', 'best for' and 'before you buy' types of box copy.

'Designer's notes' was interesting, hope that will be continue.

'Living with it' is a great idea, although there seems to be much repetition between the box copy and main text - did someone's word-count fall short? Also enjoyed 'Savvy Shopper'.

Any chance of crediting writers? It'd be good to know who's written what. Appreciate it's not form when a collective has contributed to product tests, but I assume that the BD/DVD/CD/games reviews are written by individuals and not a committee? For example, the review of the Clash of the Titans BD was particularly well written, be interesting to know the author's ID.

Hope the new design ideas will 'bed-in'. Arguably, prominent pull-quotes, sub-heads and oodles of box-copy all included in a one-page article is bordering on overkill? And surely the use of sub-heads in a one-pager is a contrivance, useful in a 3000-word article that has many interlinked themes, but on a single-page layout it's perhaps a bit 'busy' and a waste, literally, of editorial space?

Not sure about the vast pics of headphones on pp72-73, would have preferred more words/info as opposed to heeoooge pics of the Nokias and Jaybirds - a waste of a DPS? Similarly, the HDMI test on p78 could have benefitted from smaller product pics and a wee bit more text? And the 'folded-back' HDMI cables seems to lack the finesse of past WHF?S&V Adobe adventures.

Can wait 'til the next issue. Let's see, it's now Sept 2010, so the cover date will Jan 2011?
emotion-4.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
6th.replicant:
'Living with it' is a great idea, although there seems to be much
repetition between the box copy and main text - did someone's
word-count fall short?

I'm told it's called multiple points of entry.

6th.replicant:Any chance of crediting writers? It'd be good to know who's written what.

Not likely to happen. We are Borg...

6th.replicant:Let's see, it's now Sept 2010, so the
cover date will Jan 2011?
emotion-4.gif

No, November 2010, on sale September 17.

D

Deleted member 2457

I enjoyed this one
emotion-21.gif
the new look mag gets a thumbs up now.
emotion-5.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts