New Look Mag - First Impressions

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
chebby:The scribe is not credited.

I think you'll find we usually credit neither scribes nor those whose words they illuminate.

Why is that?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
PJPro:Andrew Everard:chebby:The scribe is not credited.I think you'll find we usually credit neither scribes nor those whose words they illuminate.Why is that?

With most products reviews I assume it is because they are 'team tested'.

However, in the case of the 'Living With It' article, the NaimUniti was in someone's home for 6 weeks (they mention using it from early morning local radio right up until going to bed at night).

That's why I wondered if AE or JD had written the article. (Both have mentioned using the NaimUniti extensively at home.)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
It can't have been me, then, as I think you'll find I've had a NaimUniti for over a year. And JD only had one for around three weeks before he brought it back when he went on holiday. The mystery deepens...

chebby:(they mention using it from early morning local radio right up until going to bed at night).

And if we find which of our reviewers has been sleeping in the testing rooms, we'll be having severe words...

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
PJPro:Andrew Everard:
chebby:The scribe is not credited.

I think you'll find we usually credit neither scribes nor those whose words they illuminate.

Why is that?

Because we team test, so reviews- and indeed features- are the opinions of more than one person.

You''ll have noticed we have got mini personal opinion/advice pieces in the new 'Insider' feature of the new mag, plus in refreshed Sound Advice section.

And, of course, we have bylined blogs and posts on this very site....

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
I have subscribed for the last 3-4 years and think this revamp is great. It reminds me of how the magazine was 20 years ago for depth of content. It certainly took longer to read and felt 'better value'.

Well done.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
ESP2009:Taking another browse through last night, I noted the little horizontal comparison bars under some of the reviews (notably the 40-42" TVs). A good feature, but I reckon it would be useful to have a scale for easier comparison between the models.

My thoughts exactly. I've had to proper scrutinise those bars to see where one TV pips another. Have the coloured bar as it is, but maybe have a white or black section to make up the missing section of the scale, if you follow me.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Just a quickie from me - quite like the look, as others have said it's a little more "grown up". Only things that stood out as a little off were the slight lack of colour in the new format reviews, it's nice using the blues but as the magazine header is red it might tie in a little better if that was carried through (though that's probably part of what makes it more serious looking - am speaking from memory as copy in the office!). The thing that looked most off to me was the use of a serif font for the contents - with all that text bunched together the little "feet" on the letters makes it look a little messy and hard to read (much like my posts with far too many "-"'s and "()"'s
emotion-5.gif
). Overall looks nice, clean and crisp though!

A

Anonymous

hey, this looks promising. i'm off to try and buy the mag before work and check it out.

the mag needed a revamp and hopefully WHF have got it right, although i still expect the sony to win the 42 group test ha ha.

anyone read it and what do you think ?

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Got the new mag now. some feedback in addition to all above:

- definately like that there is more content for reading

- definately like the re-introducton of back view pictures

- defintely like the expanded list of extra notes like 'living with it', 'need to know' etc.

- keep the buying guide. but if you can increase the volume of the main mag by halving the buying guide and printing alternating halves from issue to issue, I would love that. May encourage subscripton as well.

- think there is still text volume to be gained at the cost of some artistims of gear pictures - some of them are too big without actually illustrating much or having informative role, some have empty space (30% in angled shots?) within the pic

- line-ups of products need to have 'to scale' group shots or at least individual shots but printed to scale

- still a bit too little detail on specs. e.g. DAC inputs will list USB but will not say what max resolution it will accept.

- list of other candidates (why only two?) needs to be extended and their star ratings shown (for thase that have been tested), indicating the issue month that has the printed review. Untested direct competing products that are avaiable on the market should also be listed - why pretend that they do not exist? 'Untested' mark should keep things clear.

In general - very positive change!

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
i very much enjoyed the changes. the speaker test was very good, and i love the extra information regarding matching. the temptations section was much better then usual, i really enjoyed the extended look at the performance 2's. on the whole i think it's a big improvement, well done.

A

Anonymous

When I opened my copy of the new improved magazine I did not like it. I was lost in its newness, all the old familliar stuff was not were I expected it to be. After a while though It grew on me and I must admit to liking it more than the old style.

A couple of points though; firstly,can you change the colour of the stars in the ratings you give each product or just print the number of stars and miss out the greyed out ones. I'm colour blind and have difficulty in making out the difference between the stars and the greyed out ones, at first glance I thought all the AV Receivers in the review had got 5 stars.

Secondly, in the article about ideal kit for the bedroom the type at the bottom lists the ideal tv as a sony, yet the model pictured is a Samsung. Or am I seeing things?

By the way keep up the good work.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
A couple of further suggestions for consideration:-

1. A 'Best For' feature along the lines of basic hi-fi kit at different levels of quality/price that is best for Classical, for Jazz, for Rock, 'all-rounder', etc. Maybe a 'Best For' small room, large room, etc?

2. A 'Blast From The Past' feature in which classics from yesteryear are spotlighted, maybe partnered for recommended second-hand systems. Or what about a 'Best Avoided'? Second-hand not-so-bargains. (Sparked by that thread about the Sansui(?) speakers found on the pavement
emotion-1.gif
).

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
ESP2009:
A couple of further suggestions for consideration:-

1. A 'Best For' feature along the lines of basic hi-fi kit at different levels of quality/price that is best for Classical, for Jazz, for Rock, 'all-rounder', etc. Maybe a 'Best For' small room, large room, etc?

2. A 'Blast From The Past' feature in which classics from yesteryear are spotlighted, maybe partnered for recommended second-hand systems. Or what about a 'Best Avoided'? Second-hand not-so-bargains. (Sparked by that thread about the Sansui(?) speakers found on the pavement
emotion-1.gif
).

Thanks for the suggestions - (1) is already on the agenda; when we devised the Best For feature, we made a list of suitable subjects and the 'different musical genre' list is right up there
emotion-21.gif
We'll just pick subjects that suit the rest of the content of the issue - so there's always a mix of price-points and products in any one mag.

(2) Nice idea, but very very tricky to do in a meaningful way. As we've noted re second-hand kit before, one man's bargain can be another one's nightmare, depending on the condition of the kit concerned. For example, if we rave about a great product from the past - based on us having a pristine, happily working model - that's not guaranteed to be the same experience others get if they pick up a random one from eBay....

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Clare Newsome:

(2) Nice idea, but very very tricky to do in a meaningful way. As we've noted re second-hand kit before, one man's bargain can be another one's nightmare, depending on the condition of the kit concerned. For example, if we rave about a great product from the past - based on us having a pristine, happily working model - that's not guaranteed to be the same experience others get if they pick up a random one from eBay....

Too true, but maybe a disclaimer or brief 'caveat emptor' statement would cover it. After all, you cannot be held responsible for anything we buy, just make recommendations based on what you audition, old or new.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
What about featuring an article or review from 10 - 20 -30 years ago?

It would be interesting to see how much (or how little sometimes) things have changed.

The first TV ever reviewed when WHF became WHF?S&V or the first iPod ever reviewed (first standalone DAC, last cassette deck etc etc.) there must be enough 'firsts' and 'lasts' and 'interestings' in 30 years to make it a regular or semi-regular item.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We were sort of doing that with our 'I remember when' feature, but you run out of noteworthy products/technology firsts pretty quickly, we discovered...

However, we're bound to get at least a little nostalgic next year, when the magazine hits its 35th anniversary. Sure we'll haul out some gems come then
emotion-21.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
ESP2009:
After all, you cannot be held responsible for anything we buy, just make recommendations based on what you audition, old or new.

Indeed - but new products have warranties....

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Clare Newsome:ESP2009:

After all, you cannot be held responsible for anything we buy, just make recommendations based on what you audition, old or new.

Indeed - but new products have warranties....

I can see I'm not going to win this one...
emotion-2.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Plenty of opportunity, of course, to discuss the mertis - or not- of second-hand kit on these very Forums.

And as i've mentioned previously, we do plan to offer a classifieds section on this website sometime soon. (And no, before anyone asks, I don't have an exact date, and don't have all the details of how it'll work yet
emotion-2.gif
)

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Clare Newsome:

Plenty of opportunity, of course, to discuss the mertis - or not- of second-hand kit on these very Forums.

And as i've mentioned previously, we do plan to offer a classifieds section on this website sometime soon. (And no, before anyone asks, I don't have an exact date, and don't have all the details of how it'll work yet
emotion-2.gif
)

But, but, but...my front room needs clearing! Ah well, back to good ole Fleabay.

Joe10155

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
My first impression is that more time is needed to reflect on this & the next few issues before giving a proper verdict on the changes as the old version is so familiar.

The magazine has a new freshness to it, hard to describe.

The content is to the usual high standard.

The new font seems ok to me (I have a lot less than 20/20 vision).

The wider columns do seem to leave quite a few more blank white strips than before.

The main issue I have is with the highlighted phrases that have been added in the form of cut up strips of ticker tape instead of on a solid block of background colour. This format appears to me to dominate the page now that smaller & less bold headings are being used. Compare the "first tests" article with the "insider article". Then again it could partly be a background colour thing as the "home cinema amplifiers test" article the picked out phrases are a bit less domineering. IMO if these highlighted phrases were the verdict of the review it would justify its prominence on the page, but as it is I think it needs toning down.

One thing I was hoping to see was a revamped buyer's guide with the DACs separated from the CD players. In the up to £500 section there are more DACs than CDPs. The buyer's guide contents page & list heading does not mention DACs at all, just CD players.

This all sounds very negative; I don't mean it to be & after all it is just a first impression, I always need time to get used to change. I think I'm entering the grumpy old man stage of life, although some may say I've always been there.

Carry on the good work

D

Deleted member 2457

Yep i know what you mean Joe, i think i am going to have too see some more of the new look issues first too.
emotion-21.gif

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
"One thing I was hoping to see was a revamped buyer's guide with the DACs separated from the CD players."

That's one change we've already planned and definitely intend to make soon, as soon as we can upgrade the database.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts