New Look Mag - First Impressions

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:I've just tidied this thread up to get it back on topic.

Sorry, miss - but those big boys over there started it
emotion-10.gif

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

Really like the new look of the magazine.Contemporary look is great and much more appealing. Enjoyed 'Savvy Shopper'. interesting to see he thought highly of the Marantz BD5004 ( although didn't buy), couldn't find a review anywhere for this model. Couldn't afford the more extpensive BD7004 but liked the look of the 1501 reciever. So nice to get a readers thoughts especially over such a range of models.

Any chance of a 'Specifications' box in 'First Tests'? - Read the review, sounds great, but not sure if it will fit...

Really liked the 'Insider' section too. Intersting that Channel 4 HD is coming to Freesat. I was looking at getting Freesat for my parents but HD channels were less that on FreeviewHD. Guess Freesat can grow more freely than Freeview so will look again.

Nice one WHF,

Cookie Monster

A

Anonymous

I'm a longtime subscriber and have to say I'm not especially delighted with the new layout, particularly the new font which is a pig to read. You've also removed the equipment catagory explanation that used to appear below the product name at the beginning of each review - I now have to read a couple of paragraphs before I discover what the new bit of kit does.....please reinstate it.

I also prefered the Rating/For/Against box to appear down the left hand side of each First Test, making it easier to do a quick scan, but I can probably live with the new layout.

On the positive side I was very impressed with the Need To Know sidebars beside each speaker in the Budget Speakers Group Test; very informative and helpful.

Also please bring back "I remember when...."; one of my favourite features.

Keep up the good work WHF, I will keep subscribing.
emotion-1.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
nobber22:
You've also removed the equipment catagory explanation that used to appear below the product name at the beginning of each review - I now have to read a couple of paragraphs before I discover what the new bit of kit does.....please reinstate it.

Thanks for the feedback. Sorry you don't find the new body font (Guardian) readable - we're the first magazine to use it (it was created for the relaunch of the eponymous newspaper). Some of that maybe down to some 'tracking' inconsistencies in that first issue.

Re your above point about re First Test catergories - they remain clearly flagged up at the top of every page, so you don't have far to scan to discover each page's test topics.

oldleodensian

Oct 7, 2008
Visit site
ESP2009:Can't wait to get home to see my copy...

Exactly what I thought on Friday. And Saturday.

Will it arrive before the shops are selling it?

Such a shame, it normally arrives on time.

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
professorhat:gel:bigboss:

Clare Newsome: I can confirm, however, that this month's Savvy Shopper is ProfessorHat
emotion-21.gif

Wow!! That's a wonderful surprise!!
emotion-21.gif

I knew he wanted a new blu ray player, congrats on your purchase professorhat
emotion-21.gif
i have heard very good things about your new blu ray player.

Thanks guys - very pleased so far, though haven't had maximum enjoyment out of it as yet as my flat has been turned upside down for decorating so it can be sold (as alluded to in the feature!). Things should be back to normal next week though so I can get down to re-watching all my faves on the new player!

Why didn't you also post your forum name, Antony @ Croydon?

If Claire did not mention it, you would just be another reader, and not the famous Professorhat!

dirtydean

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
markyd:
Boo,

my subscription ran out this month and I have to wait until Aug 24th to get my hands on the new issue.

Any chance of another Chord HDMI lead if I resubscribe
emotion-2.gif

Tried that you have to wait 6 months, I think they said before subscribing again to get a other free gift....

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Ronald Archiebald:Why didn't you also post your forum name, Antony @ Croydon?
If Claire did not mention it, you would just be another reader, and not the famous Professorhat!

Well, unsurprisingly, it wasn't actually up to me what was printed and what wasn't so you'll need to ask the WHF team!

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
If I remember correctly, WHF was considering (re-)introducing back view shots of the gear (as part of this makeover?) - to show the all important inputs and outputs etc. What have you decided about these?

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
I'm liking it thus far. The little extra tips and advice boxes are good. It's great to get some extra guidance regarding partnering and positioning, etc, from those who know what they are talking about.

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
ESP2009,

I agree. It's taking me considerably more than the usual 20 minutes to read it, so that's fantastic news.

The layout and pictures are very well done as well.

A lot of thought and time has obviously gone into this project, so once again - well done, WHFSAV!!

Ronald

A

Anonymous

I was one of the panel for the big question and I have a forum username!

Was a good day out, thanks to all at What Hi-fi.
Got my new mag on Friday and have to admit that I do like the new look.

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
scottyworld:
I was one of the panel for the big question and I have a forum username!

Was a good day out, thanks to all at What Hi-fi.
Got my new mag on Friday and have to admit that I do like the new look.

Clare,

You obviously missed this one!

Ronald

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Er, no. We just decided not to use Forum user names this issue. We may reinstate for future issues (where applicable), as some of you feel so strongly about it!

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Clare Newsome:
One thing worth pointing out - not every reader of the magazine/user of the website is a Forum contributor, so not every person who appears in the magazine's features/letters will have a Forum alias.

Clare,

This appears to contradict what you just said...
emotion-7.gif

Ronald

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Not at all - the above quote is a general observation; not everyone that we feature in the magazine has a Forum alias (or indeed if they do have one, they may not want it revealed).

That's not the same as us choosing not to use the Forum names in the pieces concerned.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:Not at all - the above quote is a general observation; not everyone that we feature in the magazine has a Forum alias (or indeed if they do have one, they may not want it revealed).
That's not the same as us choosing not to use the Forum names in the pieces concerned.

You may need to illustrate this with the aid of a Venn diagram
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

I'm not going to renew my subscription once it expires at christmas. The mag looks nice and all, and the new format is an improvement, but its still pretty much half new stuff and half reprint of that bloody annoying guide each month. Without the latter, you're not left with all that much and as such its a bit of a rip off for the cost asked.

I'm also fed up with the overloading of TV and home cinema stuff. Feels like walking into Currys or Dixons everytime I open it.

Sliced Bread

Personally I like the new look.

The reviews seem to have a more detailed description in terms of their performance. Also the small box next to the review which offers alternative products (such as the one next to the rdac review) are now a brief comparison to the main product rather than a generic sentence which is out of context with the review.

Both of these changes help inform a decision and are very welcome IMO
emotion-1.gif

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Sorry you feel that way bennyboy71, but many people find the Buying Guide invaluable when they're trying to decide which product to buy. And I'd hardly consider 100-odd pages of new editorial content every month a rip-off. We continue to test far more new products every month than any of our rivals (60 in the October issue).

The fact that there's a lot of TV and home cinema products reflects what's currently available in the market, with the amount of traditional hi-fi products declining.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Andy Clough:

Sorry you feel that way bennyboy71, but many people find the Buying Guide invaluable when they're trying to decide which product to buy. And I'd hardly consider 100-odd pages of new editorial content every month a rip-off. We continue to test far more new products every month than any of our rivals (60 in the October issue).

The fact that there's a lot of TV and home cinema products reflects what's currently available in the market, with the amount of traditional hi-fi products declining.

Sad to say that's the way of the world and you have to adapt to survive. I don't currently have much interest in the TV and home cinema products, but that may change so why begrudge the space taken up by useful articles on the evolution of this fast growing area of entertainment? I admit I do find the AV side swamps the hi-fi, which is where my interest lies, and causes some irritation but you take the rough with the smooth and make allowances that the world does not reveolve round your particular needs.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Taking another browse through last night, I noted the little horizontal comparison bars under some of the reviews (notably the 40-42" TVs). A good feature, but I reckon it would be useful to have a scale for easier comparison between the models.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Despite having no 'headline' items of interest to me this month, curiosity overcame me and I bought a copy today. (Gel can test me if there is any doubt
emotion-4.gif
)

I sat in the bookshop with a coffee and got absorbed. A few suprises along the way (Arcam rDac and the QED Profile HDMI lead I bought a couple of months ago for £15 on special 'introductory' offer apparently now costs £30 and gets five stars. Excellent.)

'First tests' actually take a while to read now. In fact the whole magazine has more wordage.

Sadly the tellys were all the wrong size this month. (I must have missed the 32" issue.) But I will have a read later anyway. If the copy is interesting about something I don't want to read about then that will be good.

'Living With It' (NaimUniti) was interesting. (Was that JD or AE? The scribe is not credited.)

The budget speakers group test was worth a read. (Arcaydis/EB strikes again and I prefer their looks to the plasticky looking MAs.)

I am home now and still have a lot more to read. (Something that could not be said about the other issues I have bought this year.)

Small point... glad to see the reader's panel in the Big Question no longer have their 'real' and forum identities exposed.

The Roksan Caspian M2 takes the prize for ugliest amp. But that is Roksan's fault. The WHF photographer did his/her best but it still looks like a trainwreck!

More later.

Good show chaps and ladies.

(Oh yeah, dump the Buyer's Guide. It's really had it's day.)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts