New Linn MajikDS or second hand Akurate DS

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
It may be an interesting new angle for specialty hifi sellers to explore.

If they could branch out into medicine/therapy perhaps there would be a possibility for us poor customers patients to write off our purchases as a tax concession or at least be covered with medical insurance :?

You can see it now, waiting / consultation rooms doubling up as demo rooms? Warm soothing A class sounds to help treat a troubled soul.

Or am I just being silly?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Neuphonix said:
It may be an interesting new angle for specialty hifi sellers to explore.

If they could branch out into medicine/therapy perhaps there would be a possibility for us poor customers patients to write off our purchases as a tax concession or at least be covered with medical insurance :?

You can see it now, waiting / consultation rooms doubling up as demo rooms? Warm soothing A class sounds to help treat a troubled soul.

Or am I just being silly?

With classes of amps and classes of drugs being very similar.....there could be some interesting confusion.

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
[/quote]

With classes of amps and classes of drugs being very similar.....there could be some interesting confusion.

[/quote]

There really shouldn't be any confusion, all the doctors in the know whould only prescribe "A" class drugs, I mean amps! :cheers:

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Guess what?

Disaster has struck again

The other channel on the AMS went last night & fried another Diablo :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Sigh. I'm going to demand a new amp this time. Not sure if they will come to the party, but surely any reasonable person can't deny that I have a dud unit.

TBO I'm pretty much of a mind that as soon as I get it back I'm selling it & moving on. Can't deny I love the sound but really. Maybe if I get a new unit and my anger has disipated I might try again, but the way I'm feeling at the moment that might be about it for me & MF.

Either way I think I am going to write a letter to Anthony Michelson just to let him know.

Obviously not having the best of Hi-fi experiences, this was supposed to be the happy period!

I think I might just go back to the old wireless.

Will keep you abreast of any new developments.

In the meantime I might go looking for one of those therapists that gives out A(?) class remedies.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Oh no, thats awful. I am really sorry to hear about all these fried speakers. I wouldnt blame you for going for something completely different after all that. I remember when I blew up my Arcam P7, really made me fee sick, all my own fault tho so not quite the same thing.

That Cno sure has a lot to answer for ;)

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
O my word! that's terrible... thankfully I've never experienced anything like that.

I sincerely hope the dealer will be reasonable with you.

Must admit, although my Sugden gets pretty toasty, I found the AMS even hotter and I didn't like the way it popped and crackled all the time... I'm not saying that's necessarily contributed to your problems though.

Hope it gets resolved swiftly for you.

Mac

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm horrified to hear that your nightmare continues, and feel huge sympathy (and a little responsibility) for your situation.....please keep us abreast of how this all plays out.

There is something very strange going on, which may well be completely the fault of the amp.....but you need to go through every other possibility with a fine tooth comb.

I'm not technical enough to point you in any direction, and can see how you would be completely disenchanted with the MF. I think you need to ring their technical department, to see what they have to say.

My local dealer regularly had the 35i driving the Diablos, so I don't see an issue there....and I feel it will be very difficult to find an amp that will fill the shoes of the 35i (sound-wise).

I hope you continue to be treated fairly

Cno

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks all for your sympathy :boohoo:

I guess I was always playing with fire buying speakers called "Diablos"! >)

Cno absolutely no blame laid at you mate, I had already made my purchase before we started chatting on the subject. I was pleased to meet another person who had reached the same conclusion as me independently.

However if my Akurate DS self combusts I might be flying over to have words! ;)

When I get a moment I will start a new thread but the way I see it, it's either a dud unit (hopefully) or there is some gremlin in the system. The fact that it was the other chanel on the amp that went certainly makes me think that it is the culprit. Every other component, including the AV receiver, is functioning correctly.

One of the techs from the dealership helped me put the system back together after the previous repair, so at least from their perspective they have been able to see that it is not some obvious problem related to incorrect installation.

I dropped everything back to the dealer yesterday & went straight to the boss & laid out my situation. I told him that I was expecting the amp to be replaced this time & not repaired which he seemed to be receptive to. I think that the decision may not be his in the end but the distributor, they've asked for a couple of days to assess the problem.

Bottom line is that I need to be 100% certain that it is not the system that is causing the failure. At this point in time I have grave reservations about wrangling a new unit out of them, plugging it in & having a repeat performance. So coming up with a methodical end to end test which covers circuit, source components, interconnects, amps/reciever, speakers.

1) Circuit: have a dedicated circuit for the system, maybe need another one for the AMS. Have a surge protection unit both in the switch board & a plug in for the AMS. Have had an electrician check all cabling from the main distribution board / my sub board / powerpoint. No issues.

2) AV reciever: seems like a possible candidate. Given that it is connected to the AMS with RCAs from the front outputs, maybe an issue with the outputs? (has been working perfectly up until now).

3) Oppo BDP-93: another possible candidate: is connected via HDMI to the AV & plasma, also via RCA to the AMS. Perhaps some sort of issue having it connected to the AMS via two pathways?

4) Audioquest leads: highly unlikely, but the audioquest RCA leads & speaker cables have a small battery pack on them. I omly mention this as a possible source of DC current?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I can't fault your methodical approach and hope it bears fruit. In case it's of use, the head of sales at MF is Indra (Geller?), who has the power, and is usually very helpful.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Neuphonix said:
Guess what?

Disaster has struck again

The other channel on the AMS went last night & fried another Diablo :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Sigh. I'm going to demand a new amp this time. Not sure if they will come to the party, but surely any reasonable person can't deny that I have a dud unit.

TBO I'm pretty much of a mind that as soon as I get it back I'm selling it & moving on. Can't deny I love the sound but really. Maybe if I get a new unit and my anger has disipated I might try again, but the way I'm feeling at the moment that might be about it for me & MF.

Either way I think I am going to write a letter to Anthony Michelson just to let him know.

Obviously not having the best of Hi-fi experiences, this was supposed to be the happy period!

I think I might just go back to the old wireless.

Will keep you abreast of any new developments.

In the meantime I might go looking for one of those therapists that gives out A(?) class remedies.

Omg...haven't been away for a while and completely missed that!

That's an horrible situation and I feel all your frustration and anger. Hopefully the dealer will understand the situation and replace completely the amp. What about the speakers? Did you ask to replace them also if it is demonstrated the amp is faulty?

Keep us posted...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts