New Linn MajikDS or second hand Akurate DS

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

gregvet

Well-known member
Dec 24, 2008
128
10
18,595
Out of interest Steve, how would you rate your Onkyo amp compared to the Linn Sneaky? The Onkyo gets really highly rated around these parts, and gets compared to much more expensive amps, so it is interesting to me that you like the Sneaky so much.
 

stevepg1975

New member
Nov 11, 2011
1
0
0
Gregvet, thats also hard in terms of sound quality as I have not heard the Sneaky at home yet. The Onkyo was really to see how much I used streaming and internet vs cd and like you said there was some buzz around it on forums. I have ended up only using my Mac via optical to the Onkyo, so that has lead me to getting a good streamer (to remove the cables) and moving to a brand/sound I can stay with. The user interface for the Linn is first class, although the Onkyo is very good for the money. I have been deciding which direction to go in - this needs to be family friendly as well. I/we have just have not used the internet capabilities as much as I thought, not at all in fact.

At a push i think its the vocals where I think the Linn is better, more realism and emotion - this is something that is important to me. I am buying into Linn as I just loved the sound and ease of use, it did all I need very well. I can then add integrated/power amp if needed going forward.
 

Neuphonix

New member
Apr 20, 2012
9
0
0
Hi Steve,

I'm pretty much decided on a new Akurate DS-1. I know that this wasn't a part of my original post but after I did a side by side with the Majik DS it was pretty much a done deal. If I hadn't listened to the Akurate I'd say I would have been happy enough with the Majik but it sounded a bit flat & veiled in comparison.

There was this one track in particular that had hand bells in it which really showed the difference. With the Akurate it was almost as is you could diferentiate each separate little bell. I realise that this might be a little too revealing at times but I would think that it will be a good match for the AMS35i, it should add a certain warmth I'm hoping.

It certainly wasn't in my original budget range, but the dealer has a demo which he is able to do for a good price. A big step up, but I'm hoping it's going to be one of those purchases that gives me many contented smiles for years to come. I can't see myself looking back in 2-3 years wishing that I'd saved the money. Also my recent teething problems with my amp make me feel much more comfortable buying from a dealer rather than second hand. There probably wouldn't be an issue, but for this sort of outlay i'd prefer to pay extra for the peace of mind.

Glad to hear things went well with the sneaky, I didn't listen to it, but I'd say from the reviews I've read that it will be a worthy addition.
 

CnoEvil

New member
Aug 21, 2009
556
9
0
Neuphonix said:
I realise that this might be a little too revealing at times but I would think that it will be a good match for the AMS35i, it should add a certain warmth I'm hoping.
IMO You are in for a real treat, once it's installed in your system.....the sound should be truly stunning when combined with the 35i/Diablos, and this you deserve after what you've been through.

Look forward to your review....and I'm starting to turn a deep shade of green as we speak!

Cno
 

Neuphonix

New member
Apr 20, 2012
9
0
0
Hi Cno,

I think that it's going to work out as you had previously mentioned. The differences when played side by side seem obvious, but when installed alone in my system it is not as apparent. You live with it, get used to the sound quality, but it seems perhaps more subtle. Just every now & then you have those moments in the music that bring a smile & make you realise how good it is.

I hope to put a deposit down tomorrow, but it might take a few weeks before it lands in my loungeroom.

Off topic for a moment, we had a discussion over on Roby's thread about the merits of having the AMS linked to the HT amp to run the front channels. This is working fine for me, no real dramas with volume control etc. However I have been thinking more & more of disconnecting it & using for music only.

I would probably run a second cheaper set of speaker cables from my RX-Z7 to the fronts & when I want to listen to music unplug them & connect the AMS. It's probably not quite as wife friendly but I like the thought of not having to turn the AMS on every time I use my system & the simplicity of Linn/AMS only for music. Less power consumption, less wear on the AMS. There is the possiblity of a speaker switch box but I would have some reservations about introducing another junction in the speaker cabling & it's effect on SQ.

Any thoughts? I seem to remember that you mentioned you do have the AMS/Arcam connected, but for TV you often don't turn the AMS on, centre only?
 

CnoEvil

New member
Aug 21, 2009
556
9
0
Neuphonix said:
I would probably run a second cheaper set of speaker cables from my RX-Z7 to the fronts & when I want to listen to music unplug them & connect the AMS. It's probably not quite as wife friendly but I like the thought of not having to turn the AMS on every time I use my system & the simplicity of Linn/AMS only for music. Less power consumption, less wear on the AMS. There is the possiblity of a speaker switch box but I would have some reservations about introducing another junction in the speaker cabling & it's effect on SQ.

Any thoughts? I seem to remember that you mentioned you do have the AMS/Arcam connected, but for TV you often don't turn the AMS on, centre only?
I gave some thoughts to Alex as well here: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/connecting-two-amps-at-the-same-speakers-possible

I would also have worries about the effect that a switch box might have.

Your memory serves you well.....I often use just the centre + rear surrounds, especially for stuff that isn't 5.1. This works for me, but I appreciate that it mightn't be for everyone.
 

gregvet

Well-known member
Dec 24, 2008
128
10
18,595
CnoEvil said:
I often use just the centre + rear surrounds, especially for stuff that isn't 5.1. This works for me, but I appreciate that it mightn't be for everyone.
IMO this is the AMS's biggest (only?) failing, and the reason why I couldnt have one as part of my main system. No HT bypass option.

Shame really, as Cno has almost convinced me in every other area ;)
 

Neuphonix

New member
Apr 20, 2012
9
0
0
Thanks mate, another interesting thread to follow.

The AMS has been noticeably quieter since it came back. I guess the tech opening it up for repairs & then screwing it back together by hand has alleviated some of the crackling sounds caused by over tightening.

I might be accused of being overly cautious but I still have some slight reservations using it more than is necessary. The dealer was advocating using it as much as possible, saying that it would improve noticeably with use.

I find for TV that the centre is more than enough, even for stuff which is labelled as 5.1 almost nothing comes out of the fronts anyway. And for alot of TV which is dialog heavy having srround is completely unecessary (for me). Obviously properly encoded DVD/Bluray is another matter entirely.

In terms of having the AMS hooked up to the pre-outs of the HT processor but leaving it turned off, do you see any problem with the HT still trying to send signal to the AMS? ie. an electrical current is being sent but not used. Could this pose any issues to the AMS?

Something to play around with when the Akurate arrives. The more I think about it though the more appealing I find the idea of a separate music/HT set-up. The simplicity of source/amp/speaker for music without having anything else connected (even if turned off). In some ways its more wife friendly & in others not.

After my incident I have been looking at trying to minimise the number of devices rather than keep adding, but its hard...... ;)
 

Neuphonix

New member
Apr 20, 2012
9
0
0
gregvet said:
CnoEvil said:
I often use just the centre + rear surrounds, especially for stuff that isn't 5.1. This works for me, but I appreciate that it mightn't be for everyone.
IMO this is the AMS's biggest (only?) failing, and the reason why I couldnt have one as part of my main system. No HT bypass option.

Shame really, as Cno has almost convinced me in every other area ;)
Hi Greg,

I went through the same process myself, HT was a must have. I even went so far as to take home an M6-500i even though I knew it didn't sound as good as the AMS. The HT worked really well but I knew in the back of my head it didn't sound as good, powerful but cold.

So I borrowed an AMS to do a side by side at home & to be honest with you the volume thing was a much bigger deal in my head than it turned out to be in a practical terms. MORE than balanced out by the increase in SQ. It did take a bit of wife training however.

You're right though, I thought that most companies would adopt a trickle down process where every unit as you move up the chain has all the features of those below & then some. I guess they're looking at it fom a purist audio POV.

To be honest with you the biggest gripe for me is the remote, it is seriously crap. A total waste of money IMO, the only time I have used it is to program my universal & even that it struggled with. They should have put the dollars into HT bypass circuitry!

But now I come full circle, after all the HT integration considerations I think that I will just use the Yammy for HT & keep the AMS for music! Hhhm, expensive circle.
 

acalex

New member
Sep 13, 2011
73
0
0
Neuphonix said:
....

But now I come full circle, after all the HT integration considerations I think that I will just use the Yammy for HT & keep the AMS for music! Hhhm, expensive circle.
Definitely this...I never thought using the Jadis to drive any of my spekers for different purposes than music. I do not waste energy if not necessary and do not want to reduce valves life with other than music. Plus I listen much more to music than watching TV with HT on.

I think a good AV amp now is not that expensive and could be easily put in any system. I am still considering the idea of a switch, you can find some pre-made boxes on the web which have stunning reviews, one in particular, and all the people who tried said it does not affect at all SQ.

For now the idea of having separate speakers also for music and HT is too far away...especially for the lack of space!
 

acalex

New member
Sep 13, 2011
73
0
0
gregvet said:
CnoEvil said:
I often use just the centre + rear surrounds, especially for stuff that isn't 5.1. This works for me, but I appreciate that it mightn't be for everyone.
IMO this is the AMS's biggest (only?) failing, and the reason why I couldnt have one as part of my main system. No HT bypass option.

Shame really, as Cno has almost convinced me in every other area ;)
Greg, have you actually heard the AMS yourself? I say so because once you go and listen to it, every other issue just disappears when you realise what this amp can do to music...
 

gregvet

Well-known member
Dec 24, 2008
128
10
18,595
acalex said:
Greg, have you actually heard the AMS yourself? I say so because once you go and listen to it, every other issue just disappears when you realise what this amp can do to music...
Haha, nice try Acalex. I'm not falling into that trap quite so easily :rofl:

Im 90% sure if I heard one I would have to have one, and the lack of HT bypass would be an issue for my other half. No matter how good it sounds ;)
 

gregvet

Well-known member
Dec 24, 2008
128
10
18,595
However when we move house I might be allowed a separate cinema room, and then if I go two channel in the living room, all bets are off!
 

CnoEvil

New member
Aug 21, 2009
556
9
0
Neuphonix said:
I find for TV that the centre is more than enough, even for stuff which is labelled as 5.1 almost nothing comes out of the fronts anyway. And for alot of TV which is dialog heavy having srround is completely unecessary (for me). Obviously properly encoded DVD/Bluray is another matter entirely.

In terms of having the AMS hooked up to the pre-outs of the HT processor but leaving it turned off, do you see any problem with the HT still trying to send signal to the AMS? ie. an electrical current is being sent but not used. Could this pose any issues to the AMS?

Something to play around with when the Akurate arrives. The more I think about it though the more appealing I find the idea of a separate music/HT set-up. The simplicity of source/amp/speaker for music without having anything else connected (even if turned off). In some ways its more wife friendly & in others not.

After my incident I have been looking at trying to minimise the number of devices rather than keep adding, but its hard...... ;)
I don't forsee any problem with a signal coming from your pre-outs to an amp that's off.

Separating your music and HT set-ups is always a good idea, and even better, is to have them in different rooms. The cones of the speakers that are not being used, can oscillate along with the others and effect the sound. Back in the day, for a 2 channel dem, all unnecessary speakers were often removed from the room...this was seen as the sign of a good dealer.

FWIW I think the Linn Silver i/c is one of the best choices between a DS and the 35i.
 

CnoEvil

New member
Aug 21, 2009
556
9
0
gregvet said:
acalex said:
Greg, have you actually heard the AMS yourself? I say so because once you go and listen to it, every other issue just disappears when you realise what this amp can do to music...
Haha, nice try Acalex. I'm not falling into that trap quite so easily :rofl:

Im 90% sure if I heard one I would have to have one, and the lack of HT bypass would be an issue for my other half. No matter how good it sounds ;)
There is also the fact ( :oops: ) that the 35i sounds wonderful with the Fact 8s.......just saying! >)
 

gregvet

Well-known member
Dec 24, 2008
128
10
18,595
Yes Cno, David has promised to organise a comparative demo of Fact 8 v Kef REF 205/2, and I am still not sure which way I would go.

He hasnt promised the AMS yet tho ;)
 

CnoEvil

New member
Aug 21, 2009
556
9
0
gregvet said:
Yes Cno, David has promised to organise a comparative demo of Fact 8 v Kef REF 205/2, and I am still not sure which way I would go.

He hasnt promised the AMS yet tho ;)
Since he now stocks MF.............
 

gregvet

Well-known member
Dec 24, 2008
128
10
18,595
I havent even asked him about the AMS yet, mainly because I dont live local to him and I dont want to waste his time. We are hoping to move soon, and I have been banned from any more HiFi related purchases for the moment by HWMBO.

I guess I'm playing the long game ;)
 

Neuphonix

New member
Apr 20, 2012
9
0
0
There are plenty of "doctors" notes that can be found on the net if you look hard enough! :type:

Maybe you should get one from an ear doctor or some sort of sound therapist ;)
 

gregvet

Well-known member
Dec 24, 2008
128
10
18,595
CnoEvil said:
Docter schmoctor, I've got special dispensation from the Tánaiste! :roll:
Im not sure special dispensation from Eamon will hold much sway with him indoors, but thanks anyway. He's not quite as forgiving as Mrs Cno.
 

CnoEvil

New member
Aug 21, 2009
556
9
0
gregvet said:
CnoEvil said:
Docter schmoctor, I've got special dispensation from the Tánaiste! :roll:
Im not sure special dispensation from Eamon will hold much sway with him indoors, but thanks anyway. He's not quite as forgiving as Mrs Cno.
You may have a point, though my notes don't work with Mrs. Cno....I just happen to have a lot few spare and thought they could be of some use!
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts