New integrated amp or Linn all in one Majik?

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Have just auditioned a Rega Brio fed by a Linn Akurate streamer. It sounded very good indeed and we were impressed (me + better half). Then heard an all in one Linn Majik DSM. This sounded even better and scored highly against the Naim Unitiqute (it's £1k more expensive).

Now its decision time. We were in search of a new integrated amp to replace a Roksan power + passive pre and are now poised to push the boat out and replace numerous boxes (squeezebox touch + linear power + audio gd dac + amps) with this one box solution.

We auditioned using similar speakers to our own (Neat Motive 2s - we've got the SE version) although the room was much larger. Got to say that the sound was detailed, engaging and just left you wanting more.

Have any forum users got one or heard one? Any thoughts would be appreciated before the deal is done! Read a review or two and the amp sections don't score as highly as the streaming/dac components. Also never really thought about changing the squeezebox for a Linn until now. Are they easy to set up on a home network with NAS? What's the software like and is it reliable?

Sorry but there's lots of thoughts whizzing about at pres. Your thoughts welcomed.....

Pedro

kungula

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
that is the question I also asked myself about one month ago. After having auditioned to the Linn Akurate DSM, the Majic DSM, to all Naim streamers including the NDS with NAP 300 I found the MDSM and the Superuniti are the best value for money. I did not consider the sneaky or the Uniti 2 though which are probably also intersting to consider.

I decided for the Superuniti with Neat Elite SX speakers which are perfect for my room. The set up can be done by your dealer, normally at no extra cost.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Pedro, I'm glad you got to listen to the the Linn DS...and here are my thoughts/suggestions:

- The Brio, good and all as it is, is not good enough to show what the Akurate is capable of (given the price difference, it's hardly surprising).

- Whether you buy the DS or DSM depends on whether you like the sound of the Linn amp, or would prefer somthing from a different brand. I'm not sure what your budget is, but I rate brands like Musical Fidelity, Sugden and Electrocompaniet.

- Generally people fall into the Linn or Naim bracket, liking one, much more than the other.

- Set up depends on how comfortable you are with networks. Linn like to sell the DS through their dealers, so they can be there to hold your hand and give support. If you are in GB, Ripcaster are knowledgeable and helpful.

- Since its introduction, the control software has greatly improved and is now stable and user-friendly....you can use all manner of iThingys, PDAs and laptops.

There are a couple of us with Majik DSs and a couple with DSMs.....there was one guy who much preferred the Naim, but it is very personal. I'm well known on here for banging on endlessly about the Linn DS, which (imo) is the best streaming implementation / solution.

Cno

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys,

We're about to go and do the deal, having mulled over the options last night (the red wine may or may not have helped; we're on holiday at pres). Decided to go the whole hog and buy the all in one. The sound we heard yesterday left us both wanting more and to me, this is a litmus test. The Linn dredged an amazing amount of detail but at the same time, engaged us both emotionally with the music whereas the Naim didn't float our boat in the same way.

Still got some concerns over the software, especially as we have a home network with NAS. I've spent the last 5 years getting to grips with logitech stuff and know my way round it quite well now. I can see one or two hours ahead of raised blood pressure but who knows? It may work like a dream first time ...........

Let you know whenI get the Linn home and fire it up!

ps - Also auditioned some Neat Elite SX speakers which happened to be out at the time. They were amazing too but any upgrade here will have to wait.

Pedro

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Have you heard Linn's own speakers on the end of the Majik, as Linn has a way of sounding best in a "complete" system......I also recommend you use Linn I/Cs (Black - comes with DSM) and possibly speaker cable. The Kef R series is also well worth a listen.

Look forward to your findings

Cno

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Had some fun and games getting the new Linn DSM up and running! My previous squeezebox set up had fixed ip addresses and linn ds systems won't accept them. Then discovered that my router had a firmware bug that stopped it allocating addresses automatically (dhcp server stopped?). What a ?!** nightmare. Plug and play it wasn't.

Eventually sorted the router and the linn came to life. Just had our first listening session and it's looking good. The sound, while being very revealing is never harsh or tiring. At the same time, it's not boring either. Just seems to draw you in and keeps you listening.

Thanks for the speaker and cable tips Cno. I won't be changing in the near future as funds need to recover somewhat. Got to say that the Neats sound great and the existing DNM speaker cables seem to fit the system well.

Got several bits of kit to fleebay now. Will be sad to say farewell to the audio gd dac as it's a real cracker (postage will be a pain as it weighs a ton). May also hold on to the squeezebox as backup. Got to say that although it's bettered by the linn, it's not night and day and the squeezebox must still rate as one of the best value for money bits of kit on the market.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Pedro2 said:
May also hold on to the squeezebox as backup. Got to say that although it's bettered by the linn, it's not night and day and the squeezebox must still rate as one of the best value for money bits of kit on the market.

It takes a little while to appeciate just how good the Linn is.....though I'm more used to the streamer only. You should start hearing details in your music, of which you've previously been unaware. The whole presentation should be better defined and more coherent, giving it a musical edge that wasn't there before.

At first these improvements may seems subtle, but if you could go back to your old system after a few months, I suspect that what you thought was subtle, are in fact essential ingredients that you now can't live without.

Try leaving it on repeat for a few days as this imo, can help it to settle in and come to the boil.

I'm glad you're enjoying the new purchase

Cno

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts