New home install

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Ok, someone asked me to start a thread about the install I'm planning for my new system, so I guess this is it, although this is no more than a placeholder post for now.

It's worth bearing in mind that the system doesn't actually exist yet, beyond a deposit on a KRP-500A, but the plan is to match it with the Pioneer SC-LX81 amp, either the 52 or 71 BD player and a 5.1 speaker set, as yet undecided. Anyway I've decided that I'm going to have everything properly installed with all the kit hidden out of the living room and cables run to the speakers. The KRP helps with this as the seperate media box will go under the stairs with short connections from the sources and just the single cable running from the media box to the screen.

3365001369_ea6e03a8d0_b.jpg

This is the "cupboard" under the stairs. For scale that's a full size door I'm shooting through. You can see on the back wall the partially removed plaster-board, the rest of it to the right is coming down as behind that is the living room, where the TV is going, so this area will be open to the living room, as I believe it used to be, up until about 30 years ago when the then owner blocked it in.

3365824830_20c5093a23_b.jpg

This is the "under the stairs" bit, the rack will going in here, positioned to the right to leave room to get round the back of it for cabling purposes. Having spent several hours clearing this area out and taking everything to the tip (the whole room was floor to ceiling with rubbish, including an air-rifle that neither of us have any idea where it came from!), I'm sllightly annoyed that the other half has already taken to lobbing rubbish in here again. That's an old 60 record player on the table incidentally. It isn't mine...

3365004765_8f170b56d5.jpg

This is the consumer unit on the other wall that I'm going to have a new feed taken off of to power all the gear, I've had a rough estimate of about 100 quid from a sparky for that. I'm going to have the unit boxed in and shelving put along this wall as well for all the DVDs/BDs that I don't actually own yet, to get them out of the living room as well.

That's about as far as I've got so far! this bit will be carpeted and the ceiling refinished as it'll probably need to be opened up to run the cables. Now I'm waiting (still) for the dealer I'm getting the Pioneer stuff from to come over and check out the living room and start drawing up plans but this might have to wait even longer as the missus' daughter is due to give birth any time now so things will probably get a bit busy soon!

In the meantime I might get SkyHD ordered and installed as I need a new LNB and cabling, because half our channels don't work properly due to water ingress in the cabling.

more as and when anything happens and I remember to take pictures of it...

idc

Brilliant the_lhc. So you will have a separate ring mains for the AV and hifi to go on? That was the discussion that inspired the request.

So you are about to be a grandfather, congratulations.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
idc:
Brilliant the_lhc. So you will have a separate ring mains for the AV and hifi to go on? That was the discussion that inspired the request.

Oh yeah! Hello again! It'll certainly be a completely seperate spur from the CU, don't know if that's the same as a seperate ring mains, I'm not up on my electrickery terms!

So you are about to be a grandfather, congratulations.

Well sort of, not officially as we're not married and the missus' daughter isn't my daughter but yeah, in a way.

At 35!
emotion-9.gif

idc

the_lhc:idc:

Oh yeah! Hello again! It'll certainly be a completely seperate spur from the CU, don't know if that's the same as a seperate ring mains, I'm not up on my electrickery terms!

I don't know about the electrickery terms either, but I am sure we mean the same thing. Just invent more new words as you go on.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Messiah:
Great post and cannot wait to see more....

How are you going to control all of this??

Well the krp-500A is coming without speakers, so getting the SC81 amp and pioneer BDP will allow me to control everything (volume, source etc) from the TV remote, apart from Sky, I haven't thought that far ahead yet, but the dealer/installer supplying everything didn't seem worried, they've done plenty of similar installs.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Sc00bied00:....and what size is the living room area,

errrm, oh cr*p, can't remember, I measured it the other day for carpets, I think it's about 4m wide and about 5 long, I think I measured the viewing distance as about 3.5 to 4m. The only problem with the room is that I want to position everything lengthways down the room (we currently sit across the room up one end, which isn't ideal), however there are bay windows at both ends of the room, which is a nuisance, so it looks like the missus will be getting new curtains as well...

I might try to knock up some diagrams to explain it a little more.

curious as to speaker choice as well.

Yeah, so am I!
emotion-4.gif
Have to admit I'm struggling with my choices at the moment, I liked the spendors I heard at the bristol show but I don't know if they might be a bit polite for movies and I haven't really heard anything else yet, I need to arrange a listening session somewhere, but getting the time off is awkward.

Look forward to future posts.

The dealer bloke rang up yesterday saying he'd be in the area on Friday if it was convenient to come over and start drawing up some plans, I need to ring him cos I don't think I can make it (unless the sprog turns up tomorrow but even then it might not be too convenient!), I did tell him Saturdays were about the only day I could do but he seems to have forgotten that! Still it's small progress...

A

Anonymous

If you don't mind a suggestion, the ideal way to run a spur is to take the feeds from the meter (NOT off the bus bar in the CU) and buy another small C Unit just for the equipment.

Use 40A cable (not 20a) and trunk it if it is going to be plastered into the walls. Get your sparky to renew the True Earth point at the meter and check the cross bonding in the house.

You will then have a good Mains feed.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
trevor79:If you don't mind a suggestion, the ideal way to run a spur is to take the feeds from the meter (NOT off the bus bar in the CU) and buy another small C Unit just for the equipment.

Use 40A cable (not 20a) and trunk it if it is going to be plastered into the walls. Get your sparky to renew the True Earth point at the meter and check the cross bonding in the house.

Are you in the electrics business by any chance Trevor79!?

A

Anonymous

No, just have years of knowledge / experience when it comes to getting the best out of HiFi systems. Still learning.

Started out with fiddling and setting up turntables!

Ah I remember crystal sets and pirate radio when I was a boy, those were the days!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
trevor79:If you don't mind a suggestion, the ideal way to run a spur is to take the feeds from the meter (NOT off the bus bar in the CU) and buy another small C Unit just for the equipment.

Hmm, ok, trouble is the meter is at the other end of the house, with another CU, so that would make 3 in total. I'll ask him what that would cost though, no point doing it half cocked.

Ok I'll put that on the list as well!

A

Anonymous

Thats not a problem, he just needs to link up with the meter wires behind the on/off switch in the CU.

What's important is that you do't run the spur off the bus bar in the existing CU as contamination off the other rings will feed onto it.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
trevor79:Thats not a problem, he just needs to link up with the meter wires behind the on/off switch in the CU.

What's important is that you do't run the spur off the bus bar in the existing CU as contamination off the other rings will feed onto it.

Ah ok, I'm with you, I'll make that another stipulation, he may have mentioned it when I first told him what I wanted to do but I didn't entirely understand everything he said!

I'm trying to work out how many sockets I'll need, they don't half add up, so far I've got:

amp,

Blu-ray,

DVD player (for region 1 discs, for the minute at least),

Sky,

TV media box,

Sonos,

and probably a network switch.

The turntable I think will stay in the living room, so that'll be plugged in elsewhere So that's 7 already, would you suggest a double socket with two tacimas and spread the equipment across both of them?

idc

the_lhc: (unless the sprog turns up tomorrow but even then it might not be too convenient!)

Now you have started this post your priority has been to us, your readers, the little people can wait, we need your attention more than they do at the moment, like kids looking through the sweetie shop window!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
idc: the_lhc: (unless the sprog turns up tomorrow but even then it might not be too convenient!)

Now you have started this post your priority has been to us, your readers, the little people can wait, we need your attention more than they do at the moment, like kids looking through the sweetie shop window!

Yeah, you know that, and I know that but you try convincing the soon-to-be-new grandmother indoors! That reminds me again I haven't rung the dealer back...

TitusG

Oct 12, 2008
Visit site
Hi there.

Reguarding your electrics: I wouldn't worry about a seperate CU it will cost at least double what you have been quoted. If you do put one in you could still get feedback through all the cableing anyway. The only way to have a totally "clean" supply would be to get a seperate phase put in! The best way would be have a 4mm ring circuit or individual radial circuits (not SPUR!!) for each piece of equiptment then use a mains conditioner. Don't worry about your bonding it don't do jack.

idc

the_lhc:Err, well, the TV is now fully paid for, the dealer/installer bloke is on holiday until the 20th and it was a boy, 8lbs 7oz!
emotion-19.gif

Excellent and congratulations
emotion-21.gif
He is going to appreciate a fully set up hifi and av system, though at first it will be with 'In the night garden' and 'The wheels on the bus'!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Well, I have an update of sorts, had a couple of days off this week, had Sky HD installed on Monday and the guy from the shop I've bought the KRP-500a from came over to look at the room and make some suggestions. I've also had a friend of ours who's a chippy come in to have a look as he'll be doing most of the room-wrecking work!

It's not all good news though; the chippy looked at the cupboard under the stairs (pics in first post) and reckons that the wood frame that the plasterboard is attached to is way too big simply to be holding the plasterboard up, in fact it's so big he's pretty certain it's actually holding the stairs up as well! Which kind of rules out taking it out! However he did find that the "wall" next to it, actually under the stairs themselves (left of the first picture), is simply lath and plaster, rather than stone, so we reckon we can remove a section of that and have the front of the equipment showing through the hole with the rest of it actually in the cupboard under the stairs (making cabling etc easier.). Also he reckoned he could remove the plasterboard and build DVD/Blu-ray storage around the existing frame (so the stairs don't collapse!), like built-in shelving if you like, so at least we regain the space taken up by the current storage which is in the room.

I think I mention the problems with windows in the room, there's one at either end, so whatever happens we need to install in front of a window. The guy from the hifi shop looked at the room and has suggested installing the plasma below the window on a lift mechanism so it lifts up when we want to watch TV. This can then be boxed in like those radiator covers you get in old houses (which my missus is very keen on, bonus!) and which the friendly chippy can do without trouble. Not entirely sure where the centre speaker's going to go though, my current one (KEF Cresta C) is a bit big to fit into the cabinet, so I might need something a bit smaller, need to look into that...

The only problem with this is the hifi bloke has suggested a lift system from Future Automation, which all looks very nice but... costs more than the TV does! Which is a problem! Bearing in mind I don't yet have an HDMI amp, Blu-ray player or speakers that can actually cope (I've got old Kef Cresta 2s at the moment, which are fine but I don't think will cope with an LX-81 amp for example), I'm not too keen on spending almost as much on a glorified wall-mount as I was intending to spend on the rest of the kit!

I might be able to get the amp cheap though, I asked hifi bloke about availability of the Pioneer amps and he gave me a sheepish look and said they were having real trouble getting any (and they're a Pioneer Level 1+ dealer!), however he did say that if it came down to it I could have their demo model for a reduced price, which is fine with me, at least it'll be run in already!

I'm wondering now whether to switch the whole lot around, put the TV at the other end of the room, that window is a full height bay window, so just a straight stand will suffice (although the TV will then be visible to people walking up to the front door which is a little worrying, the other window is heavily recessed but doesn't come down to the floor, which is why the mounting is problematic), however this means it won't be quite as easy to site the equipment under the stairs because the TV will be further away and it'll require getting the cabling past a doorway, which is a nuisance, because then we're possibly into channeling into the floor (does mean new carpet for the missus though...), which is a bit more work than I'd really like to be honest.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
idc:Phew! No wonder you have been a while in the planning. Purely for selfish reasons you have to get the lifting mechanism for the TV, that sounds mental.

http://www.futureautomation.co.uk/home.htm that'll tell you everything you want to know. I just don't think the budget is going to stretch to it, although if it doesn't I might not end up ever watching this TV! It would be very cool though, I'm just not sure it's £2.5k cool...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts