New Hi Fi System

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My current system is very old (15 -20 years) and needs replacing. It consists of Mordaunt-Short Pageant series 2 speakers, JVC A-X4 amp, JVC T-X6L tuner and Marantz CD65 11. Will I be able to replace for approximately £1000 and what would you recommend? Also would I have to replace the speakers?

Many thanks

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi there, and welcome to the Forums!

After that length of service, i'd suggest your system is gracefully retired. Speakers can suffer from a host of problems after that length of time, so them, too.

Assuming you have a rack and speaker stands (sorry, don't know if the Pageants are floorstanders or not), i'd suggest the following kit:

Marantz CD6002 CD player and PM6002 amp (currently £200 each at Richer Sounds); and B&W 685 speakers (£385). You may want to update your interconnects and speaker cable, too - Chord Crimson interconnects and Silver Screen speaker cable would fit your budget nicely.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
please if you can do not replace the speakers they are truely wonderful, great bass beautiful midrange and one of the clearest treble i have heard. put them on some atacama sl stands, the 300mm or 400mm should do and away you go. wouldn't argue with the marantz gear.

A

Anonymous

Oh oh oh oh! No no no! You can't get rid of the JVC! That is a superb amplifier and tuner! I have a JVC A-X5 (the model up without the flo-scan meters AND 70wpc@8ohms). Now I know many won't agree with me here, but that amp really was great in it's day and still is! But if your getting rid of it, name me a price for the tuner!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
The biggest problem you'll face is to adjust to more modern sounding equipment especially speakers most of which are the size of a cigarette packet nowadays. Your stuff is probably a bit tired but you could service the amp and speakers if necessary. I'm not sure if its worth it but I fondly remember some speakers I used to have and plan to buy again.

The mentioned marantzes are nice for the money, the B&W's not in my opinion. If you have a listen to Rega's R3 its like somebody opened the window. Superior treble, midrange and bass. Add the company's Brio amplifier and NAD's budget CD player (or the marantz duo) and you have a nice system for your money. Then there's NAD and Epos ...

A

Anonymous

Many thanks for all your advice. I visited Richer Sounds and their recommendation was the Cambridge Audio 640 amp & CD player with Mordaunt Short 906i speakers. Any comments

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Richer would, of course, say that - Cambridge Audio and Mordaunt Short are their house brands!

Not that they're bad (far from it), but in this case you can buy better right now.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Varroa"]Many thanks for all your advice. I visited Richer Sounds and their recommendation was the Cambridge Audio 640 amp & CD player with Mordaunt Short 906i speakers. Any comments[/quote]

Yes, I'm with the editor. I have no experience with the Cambridge products but the MS speakers are compromised compared to some others for only slightly more money. I'd suggest you spend your cash on a good amp/speaker with cheaper cd player and worry about cables etc the following month when you had another pay day.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts