Question New Hi-Fi set up for new turntable

JoshVinyl

Jan 4, 2021
Visit site
Hi!

I'm new to What Hi-Fi,

I currently have a basic turntable and speaker set up. (AT-LP60 and some Edifier speakers.)

I am looking at getting a better turntable in the future and am set on a Rega Planar 2. To accompany this new turntable, I am looking at buying the Onkya - 9010 amplifier along with the Dali Spektor 2 speakers.

Just looking for some advice on whether these are a good combination for a basic/casual vinyl listener. Also will I see a massive upgrade and beneficial difference to the set up I have now?

D

Deleted member 116933

Welcome!

You'll certainly feel a difference tuntable wise, better build quality and so on whether that translates to better sound that's for you make your mind up on. id suggest listen to the combo with your edifers and then onkyo

If it where me id actually start with the turntable and new cart it will make the biggest difference in your case

JoshVinyl

Jan 4, 2021
Visit site
Welcome!

You'll certainly feel a difference tuntable wise, better build quality and so on whether that translates to better sound that's for you make your mind up on. id suggest listen to the combo with your edifers and then onkyo

If it where me id actually start with the turntable and new cart it will make the biggest difference in your case

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I was under the impression I wouldn’t be able to connect my edifier active speakers that already have an amp in to another amp like the onkyo.

So you are suggesting getting the turntable and onkya for now and then connect to my existing active speakers?

thanks again

rainsoothe

Welcome!

Normally, I'd agree that, especially with turntables, source come first - and yes, you would feel the difference - but depending on the Edifier model, an amp + speaker upgrade might be a much bigger improvement.

@op: what Edifier speakers do you have?

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I was under the impression I wouldn’t be able to connect my edifier active speakers that already have an amp in to another amp like the onkyo.

So you are suggesting getting the turntable and onkya for now and then connect to my existing active speakers?

thanks again
Your powered speakers should not be connected to the Onkyo unless there is an option to use them as passives

Reactions: nopiano
D

Deleted member 116933

thanks again

as alluded above depends on the model of speaker you have...as long as your speakers have RCA inputs it won't be a problem you will only need a phono preamp for the turntable.

Though again as @rainsoothe has stated depends on your model of edifier.

Tell us the model and me or the guys can direct you futher.

JoshVinyl

Jan 4, 2021
Visit site
as alluded above depends on the model of speaker you have...as long as your speakers have RCA inputs it won't be a problem you will only need a phono preamp for the turntable.

Though again as @rainsoothe has stated depends on your model of edifier.

Tell us the model and me or the guys can direct you futher.

@rainsoothe @millennia_one @Al ears

Thanks all, the speakers are Edifier R1700BT Bookshelf so I don’t think I will be able to use them with the onkyo.

So would probably need to buy the trio of the turntable, speakers and integrated amp which I am happy to do. All the products I mentioned in my original post all get 5 stars on here so presume they will be a good start for me.

I suppose another option could be the rega planar 1 plus that has built in preamp and keep the speakers I have or upgrade them down the line.

I just always presumed that the turntable, amp and speaker combo would give a better listening experience than active speakers.

Thanks all, the speakers are Edifier R1700BT Bookshelf so I don’t think I will be able to use them with the onkyo.

So would probably need to buy the trio of the turntable, speakers and integrated amp which I am happy to do. All the products I mentioned in my original post all get 5 stars on here so presume they will be a good start for me.

I suppose another option could be the rega planar 1 plus that has built in preamp and keep the speakers I have or upgrade them down the line.

I just always presumed that the turntable, amp and speaker combo would give a better listening experience than active speakers.
Speaker positioning is pretty crucial, have you got stands to put them on?

Reactions: rainsoothe

JoshVinyl

Jan 4, 2021
Visit site
Speaker positioning is pretty crucial, have you got stands to put them on?
I don’t have speaker stands, but I would probably buy some. I am moving house in around 6 months time and would be buying this stuff for when I’m about to move in. So speaker stands are definitely an option!

Just to be clear, your AT turntable has an inbuilt phono stage, so it’s not possible to replace it with a Rega which doesn’t.
Your Edifer speakers are powered, but they aren’t ‘active’ in Hifi terms, which implies each driver has a dedicated amplifier.
You’re right to think of your current pairing as a system!

The Rega, Onkyo and Dali system will certainly work together, though 5 star reviews don’t guarantee they are to your taste. I’m not familiar enough with amp or speakers myself to express an opinion. Can you hear the speakers, if not the whole system, first? Richer Sounds are in many British towns and carry Onkyo and Dali. (The 9010a seems to be discontinued, so maybe you can find one in a sale?)

rainsoothe

Active speakers are not inherently bad, but most of them at this budget at least are tuned for studio use, which usually means 2 things: they're meant for nearfield listening, and they have a very revealing, unflattering presentation, so the sound engineer can hear everything that goes on in the mix. The Edifiers are not intended for studio use, though.

I'm not familiar with the 1700, but my brother owns the 1280bt and they're just better than usual pc speakers, but that's about it. The 1700 are higher up the range, so they might be a different story.

On the subject of stands, after using speakers on stands and then having to place them on a unit, I'd say they are a must, as they provide vibration isolation, and ideally you can have the speakers away enough from walls.

For the record, if you don't mind the looks, instead of a Planar 2 I would look at Audio Technica LP5x, because it allows for more adjustments to accommodate all kinds of cartridges. If you can find a second hand P3 to fit your budget, that's a different story.

Try to audition the Onkyo + Dalis, they should be great together, but only you can tell if they're a big enough improvement over your Edifiers. But they are indeed very good sounding pieces of gear. If you can up your budget to Rega Io + Triangle BR03 or B&W stuff, there should defo be no contest (but even the Onkyo + Dali could turn out to be a huge improvement - again, try to audition).

JoshVinyl

Jan 4, 2021
Visit site
Active speakers are not inherently bad, but most of them at this budget at least are tuned for studio use, which usually means 2 things: they're meant for nearfield listening, and they have a very revealing, unflattering presentation, so the sound engineer can hear everything that goes on in the mix. The Edifiers are not intended for studio use, though.

I'm not familiar with the 1700, but my brother owns the 1280bt and they're just better than usual pc speakers, but that's about it. The 1700 are higher up the range, so they might be a different story.

On the subject of stands, after using speakers on stands and then having to place them on a unit, I'd say they are a must, as they provide vibration isolation, and ideally you can have the speakers away enough from walls.

For the record, if you don't mind the looks, instead of a Planar 2 I would look at Audio Technica LP5x, because it allows for more adjustments to accommodate all kinds of cartridges. If you can find a second hand P3 to fit your budget, that's a different story.

Try to audition the Onkyo + Dalis, they should be great together, but only you can tell if they're a big enough improvement over your Edifiers. But they are indeed very good sounding pieces of gear. If you can up your budget to Rega Io + Triangle BR03 or B&W stuff, there should defo be no contest (but even the Onkyo + Dali could turn out to be a huge improvement - again, try to audition).

Thank you very much. I guess there are so many options and I just want to get the right one that will last and make it worth while.

I do like AT and like the one you recommended so that is an option. Guess I just need to do some more research and maybe spend a bit more money now so I don’t have to spend a bit more later. The Amp and speakers look good too. I just don’t want to get it wrong and have to keep upgrading.

thanks again!

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
There are a few options.
I have a Rotel amp and Dali Zensor 1 Speakers. When I was testing stuff, they were the best combo for my ears.
My Rega P1 runs very nicely through these. Certainly Rotel amps seem to have good Phono stages.

Then you have the Rega amps as mentioned. Don't forget also the new Rega One System. Admittedly this comes with the P1, and not the P2. But something you assume is set up for record players.

JoshVinyl

Jan 4, 2021
Visit site
Thank you @James83

@rainsoothe - I'm under the impression that the AT-LP5X has a built in phono stage which means it could be directly plugged straight into my existing Edifier active speakers without a pre amp. Also as you say, the AT-LPX gives me the options to upgrade the cartridges further etc...

That means that I could buy this turntable and have a play with my existing speakers that I have now. Then be able to buy an amp and some new speakers if I ever wanted to in the future.

I like the look of the IO Rega and also the B&W speakers that could be upgraded in the future.

myrrhman

Apr 24, 2020
Visit site
Can thoroughly recommend Dali Spektor 2s, obviously a lot depends on the synergy with your amp, but I tested a pair in my system recently and they didn't disgrace themselves - my impression was lots of detail but not a massively wide soundstage., maybe best for a relatively small room.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts