New denon x4800h humming sound

hardcore_gamer29

Aug 26, 2024
Visit site
ok so if you see the video i can confirm that if i pick up bluray player on my hands and it is not touching the tv unit furniture there is no humming in denon. And if it is lying there inside and while there is no connection to power outlet of bluray and also i removed hdmi from behind of bluray player there is hum in denon. This is really weird how can a wooden furniture cause this?

Jasonovich

ok so if you see the video i can confirm that if i pick up bluray player on my hands and it is not touching the tv unit furniture there is no humming in denon. And if it is lying there inside and while there is no connection to power outlet of bluray and also i removed hdmi from behind of bluray player there is hum in denon. This is really weird how can a wooden furniture cause this?
Your bluray player is possessed? Try sprinkling some Holy Water!

Seriously, have you tried changing the interconnect cabling between the Bluray and the Denon? Maybe there's a loose wire causing the humming?

hardcore_gamer29

Aug 26, 2024
Visit site
Your bluray player is possessed? Try sprinkling some Holy Water!

Seriously, have you tried changing the interconnect cabling between the Bluray and the Denon? Maybe there's a loose wire causing the humming?
I removed bluray player hdmi from behind and aslo power plug. If i put the denon receiver out of tv unit and put in on ground there is no hum.

hardcore_gamer29

Aug 26, 2024
Visit site
That's so weird. There is something obviously interfering with the Denon. What if you swap positions with the Blu-ray player and Denon?
There is hum only in avr not speakers. One thing is that when i switch on power socket but not actually swiching avr on and i touch it on front plastic or top of avr there is some weird feeling i think its static electricity .

Jasonovich

There is hum only in avr not speakers. One thing is that when i switch on power socket but not actually swiching avr on and i touch it on front plastic or top of avr there is some weird feeling i think its static electricity .
This sounds like an earthing or dirty mains issue, possibly? I use mains filtering, you don't have to go to town, maybe a simple adapter socket with a mains filter. You can find on Amazon for £20-£30. If you already have that, and this hasn't helped, then we need to step back, and yes your guess is as good as mine!

Not so long ago, I had a similar problem with my PC. I would get intermittent distortion of the sound, like somebody was going through a bag of crisps. I knew this was related to my external DAC via USB connection. It was driving me nuts also. I changed the mains plug, I changed the USB cable, I removed even the dedicated PC USB extension card. Nothing worked, I was stumped.

Then it crossed my mind that this could be a driver or software issue, I checked my system settings, and yes, it was staring at my face. I have three different DAC sound drivers operating simultaneously and this was causing the distortion in the sound. So I deactivated the other drivers and kept only the Eversolo and this worked.
This is PC scenario so I'm not sure how this applies in your case but what I'm trying to say, the problem might be an obvious one. Perhaps my forum 'buddies' can help you share light on this?

Gray

If the hum is from within the AVR, then it could be a buzzy mains transformer.
And if what you're feeling is a physical vibration from it....then it's a bad one 🤨

If you open it up, you could carefully have a closer listen....without touching.

Reactions: Jasonovich

Jasonovich

The 'without touching' being in bold, underlined and in a very large font!
I would suggests also, when you start unscrewing the lid off, do make sure the mains is SWITCHED OFF first (sorry doing a Monkey :ROFLMAO: ). Then switch mains back on, when the lid is off, listen but don't touch. Obviously, don't put the lid back on, while the mains is still on.
If Gray's synopsis proves to be true, is it worth sending it for repair or looking out for a replacement?

Reactions: Gray

Gray

The 'without touching' being in bold, underlined and in a very large font!
...and if still under guarantee, maybe don't even take the cover off - there's the theory that you can void your guarantee.

Although one of my service department managers made the point that customers have the right to look inside what is their own property.
Look, listen but don't touch would be good advice if still under warranty.

Either way, the OP needs to narrow down and be sure of the cause of the hum, before taking action.

EDIT: I should have taken more notice of the thread title: 'NEW Denon....'
So a just a case of proving it faulty before returning it .

Last edited:

Gray

I would suggests also, when you start unscrewing the lid off, do make sure the mains is SWITCHED OFF first (sorry doing a Monkey :ROFLMAO: ). Then switch mains back on, when the lid is off, listen but don't touch. Obviously, don't put the lid back on, while the mains is still on.
If Gray's synopsis proves to be true, is it worth sending it for repair or looking out for a replacement?

You beat me to it with that post Jason.
Definitely completely isolate from mains before removing or refitting covers 👍

service guy has said that there is some electromagnetic field thing this hum is normal when power button pressed it is audible then goes away means less audible
Was that based on actually looking at it? Sounds a bit like the garage fob-off 'they all do that, sir.' My AV amp is a Denon and it's always been utterly silent, so I am dubious about his 'answer.'

(Previous car was missing a badge on the front when delivered. When I pointed this out I was told that they no longer had them. Then a few weeks later I saw another which (staggeringly) did have it. Ii it went - badge attached - trust in garage down several notches. It went down many more over the years...)

Jasonovich

service guy has said that there is some electromagnetic field thing this hum is normal when power button pressed it is audible then goes away means less audible
Was that based on actually looking at it? Sounds a bit like the garage fob-off 'they all do that, sir.' My AV amp is a Denon and it's always been utterly silent, so I am dubious about his 'answer.'

(Previous car was missing a badge on the front when delivered. When I pointed this out I was told that they no longer had them. Then a few weeks later I saw another which (staggeringly) did have it. Ii it went - badge attached - trust in garage down several notches. It went down many more over the years...)

My Denon AVR-2807 is dead silent also , except when you turn on the power switch, there's clunk sound and followed by silence. Except when you ramp up the volume beyond normal listening level, you get humming from the speakers.

hardcore_gamer29

Aug 26, 2024
Visit site
My receiver is in warranty till april 2025. But when they are saying its normal should i argue again? because there is no issue in performance with my dali opticon 2 panasonic 4k player and sony oled

hardcore_gamer29

Aug 26, 2024
Visit site
If the hum is from within the AVR, then it could be a buzzy mains transformer.
And if what you're feeling is a physical vibration from it....then it's a bad one 🤨

If you open it up, you could carefully have a closer listen....without touching.
there is no physical vibration only hum to my ears

Gray

Service center guy told me its normal hum. Transformer has some electomagnetic field and has some copper plate on it?
All transformers have electromagnetic fields - it's how they work.
But not all transformers hum as much as yours clearly does.

When the guy told you hum was normal - he may just mean that's the way it is with that model.
You need to decide whether it's acceptable or not to YOU.

It won't help your case to compare it with your other components - especially your speakers! that will be irrelevant to the service centre.
A fair question might be to ask why you've put up with it for 5 months (if the problem has been there from the start).

One final bit of advice before you do anything. Take the receiver to a friend or relative's house, preferably in another town....plug it in there, switch on and see if it hums.

hardcore_gamer29

Aug 26, 2024
Visit site
All transformers have electromagnetic fields - it's how they work.
But not all transformers hum as much as yours clearly does.

When the guy told you hum was normal - he may just mean that's the way it is with that model.
You need to decide whether it's acceptable or not to YOU.

It won't help your case to compare it with your other components - especially your speakers! that will be irrelevant to the service centre.
A fair question might be to ask why you've put up with it for 5 months (if the problem has been there from the start).

One final bit of advice before you do anything. Take the receiver to a friend or relative's house, preferably in another town....plug it in there, switch on and see if it hums.
ok i actually live on first floor and ground floor has completely different circuit i can check there. Actually i bought my home there components slowly as did not have budget so i bought this avr 5 months back but i opened it 4 days ago only

SallyB

Jan 18, 2022
Visit site
Just want to go back to first principles. You are saying that if the blu ray is not present in the wooden unit then the Denon doesn’t hum? So if you place the blu ray on the floor outside the cabinet temporarily, connect it and play a disc, does the Denon still not hum?

hardcore_gamer29

Aug 26, 2024
Visit site
Just want to go back to first principles. You are saying that if the blu ray is not present in the wooden unit then the Denon doesn’t hum? So if you place the blu ray on the floor outside the cabinet temporarily, connect it and play a disc, does the Denon still not hum?
it was just coincidence. nothing to do with anything now as i removed everything from behind of denon and also put it out of cabinet and also i tried my other room its same issue now. Also just now today when i turned on 1st time there was no hum and again after 3 minutes i turned on again there it was dont know what is going on. also i got these power sockets installed recently which have connections coming out of my 1 modular socket which was already there. from 1 moudlar going to 5 sockets separate
View: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/2VY8rIkhlLY

Jasonovich

My receiver is in warranty till april 2025. But when they are saying its normal should i argue again? because there is no issue in performance with my dali opticon 2 panasonic 4k player and sony oled
Hi HG29

Do you have a spare AV Receiver or is able to get hold of one from a friend or relative? I would suggest trying it with a different receiver and if you establish there's no humming from the other receiver, then it would be clear that this is unique problem of the Denon.

You would have done everything to mitigate the issue and so they can't give you the BS about the electromagnetic interference. Even so, take it back as it is under warranty.

hardcore_gamer29

Aug 26, 2024
Visit site
Hi HG29

Do you have a spare AV Receiver or is able to get hold of one from a friend or relative? I would suggest trying it with a different receiver and if you establish there's no humming from the other receiver, then it would be clear that this is unique problem of the Denon.

You would have done everything to mitigate the issue and so they can't give you the BS about the electromagnetic interference. Even so, take it back as it is under warranty.
thank you the wholesaler that helped me buy it has told me to make a video. i will make at night when no sound is there i will share with him and here also lets see. One more thing today morning when i pressed power button first time it was silent then i again turned back on after 5 minutes it clearly made that sound again

TRENDING THREADS