New denon x4800h humming sound

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Minkey1

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
thank you the wholesaler that helped me buy it has told me to make a video. i will make at night when no sound is there i will share with him and here also lets see. One more thing today morning when i pressed power button first time it was silent then i again turned back on after 5 minutes it clearly made that sound again
An intermittent fault is still a fault. I’d take it back. My Denon X1800 doesn’t do this. It clicks when it’s switched on but my previous Yamaha did the same. Neither “hummed”.

Jasonovich

they are my speakers cables 14awg oxykraft made in denmark connecting my 2 dali opticon 2 mk2
Ah thanks, it was just an optical illusion, yeah my eyes, I should get them tested!

It crossed my mind, are speaker cables fitted bare wired into the terminals? Reason for asking, the - and + cables are these far apart, sometimes if they're in close proximity, it can emit a humming noise. Maybe worth checking :)

Last edited:
Reactions: hardcore_gamer29

hardcore_gamer29

Aug 26, 2024
Visit site
Ah thanks, it was just an optical illusion, yeah my eyes, I should get them tested!

It crossed my mind, are speaker cables fitted bare wired into the terminals? Reason for asking, the - and + cables are these far apart, sometimes if they're in close proximity, it can emit a humming noise. Maybe worth checking :)
banana plugs in the end i rmoved everything so it does not matter

Reactions: Jasonovich

Minkey1

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
what now? Servicee centre guy it feels he is forcing me to believe its all good transformer has copper plate in it creates electromagnetic field etc etc i dont get it
Mine’s very much the starter/budget end of the Denon X series line up compared to yours, but will share similar components - albeit perhaps lower spec’d - and mine doesn’t do that. It sits in a vented cupboard, door open in use, with a Panasonic 4k player, Apple TV, and EE TV Pro connected via HDMI in, and an LG C3 TV via in/out eARC HDMI. And it doesn’t do that.

I’d want a replacement under the warranty.

Reactions: hardcore_gamer29

hardcore_gamer29

Aug 26, 2024
Visit site
Mine’s very much the starter/budget end of the Denon X series line up compared to yours, but will share similar components - albeit perhaps lower spec’d - and mine doesn’t do that. It sits in a vented cupboard, door open in use, with a Panasonic 4k player, Apple TV, and EE TV Pro connected via HDMI in, and an LG C3 TV via in/out eARC HDMI. And it doesn’t do that.

I’d want a replacement under the warranty.
Thet wont replace here in india. Dont know what would they do to avr after opening it as its brand new

hardcore_gamer29

Aug 26, 2024
Visit site
Sir i installed these rubber pads on avr on its legs there is hum in beginning only now and goes away maybe tv unit cabinet has issues or amplyfing the sound

Attachments

• 20240829_144157.jpg
    20240829_144157.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 2
I guess it's up to you to decide whether you can live with that, and are prepared run the risk of it getting worse if there is a fault - when the warranty expires (I believe you still have one), you'll be on your own.

(If the shelf it sits on isn't completely flat, that could be making any vibration worse - though I'd still ask the question why it's vibrating in the first place.)

Gray

You are in the right, so don't allow yourself to be fobbed off.
That's your message.
The issue bothers you enough to bring it to the attention of this forum.
Others have confirmed that their Denon units are silent.

Yes, you can take mitigating action to dampen the vibration - but you shouldn't have to.

Don't put up with it.
Involve Denon if you have to.
Show them this thread too.

MAKE SURE that you mention the word intermittent to all concened.
That should give you less chance of a NFF (No Fault Found) verdict.

Good luck 👍

hardcore_gamer29

Aug 26, 2024
Visit site
That's your message.

Yes, you can take mitigating action to dampen the vibration - but you shouldn't have to.

Don't put up with it.

Good luck 👍

That's your message.

Don't put up with it.

Good luck 👍
i have some health issues i cant go out so i rest my case. it has given me satisfaction thats it. if it goes bad later i buy new MARANTZ

Minkey1

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Where’s my hum? I want my hum. Clearly mine’s not normal. I may return it, or demand my missing hum on a USB stick they can send me.

I jest. obvs. I don’t know whether you’ve covered this, but in use, and seated at a normal distance away, does this receiver noise interfere with your enjoyment of music and film at your normal volume levels?

If it does, it’s clearly not fit for purpose, and ought to be replaced via whatever consumer protection your country has. If it doesn’t, maybe time to ignore it, and get something playing instead?

Good luck in whatever course you decide to take.

Jasonovich

denon iternational said said it is normal soundView attachment 7318
Every amp has a low level hum, in that respect Denon isn't giving you misinformation. If you put your ears next to the receiver, you will hear the buzz.
However, the sound should be inaudible when you're sitting away from a listening distance.
The question is about the degree of sound which is acceptable and it is clear what you're experiencing isn't acceptable.

I would suggest you send the comments from the forum to Denon.
Good luck 👍

PS. Check this old thread from WHF below, perhaps there's something there that might prove helpful to you :)

Last edited:

hardcore_gamer29

Aug 26, 2024
Visit site
Where’s my hum? I want my hum. Clearly mine’s not normal. I may return it, or demand my missing hum on a USB stick they can send me.

I jest. obvs. I don’t know whether you’ve covered this, but in use, and seated at a normal distance away, does this receiver noise interfere with your enjoyment of music and film at your normal volume levels?

If it does, it’s clearly not fit for purpose, and ought to be replaced via whatever consumer protection your country has. If it doesn’t, maybe time to ignore it, and get something playing instead?

Good luck in whatever course you decide to take.
no sir i hear nothing when playing music movies its good then

Reactions: Minkey1

hardcore_gamer29

Aug 26, 2024
Visit site
Every amp has a low level hum, in that respect Denon isn't giving you misinformation. If you put your ears next to the receiver, you will hear the buzz.
However, the sound should be inaudible when you're sitting away from a listening distance.
The question is about the degree of sound which is acceptable and it is clear what you're experiencing isn't acceptable.

I would suggest you send the comments from the forum to Denon.
Good luck 👍
not audible when i am away

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts