New Denon 08 range (1508,1708, 1908, 2308)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Okay,

I need a new amp and speaker package to go with the Denon 1740 DVD player I bought a month ago.

I do like the look of the new Denon AV receivers (I know that cosmetics should be a lot lower on my priority list than it is), but the 1708 got an absolute slating in the £400 group test (which the Onkyo 605 won). I would consider the Onkyo if the front didn't look like a replacement body panel for the 1960's bat mobile!!
emotion-8.gif

Are any of the new Denon range any good, or are they all pigs that I shouldn't touch with a barge poll.

I want to use the setup for playback of both dvd's and cd music, and will be looking to partner the amp with some small "style" speakers like the little Jamo's or the new Kef 1005.2.s (TV is 37px70, and I will consider buying a high-def player in about a year).

Can anyone offer any advice?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
So let's get this straight... you'd rather put up with sub-standard (for the price) sound than live with a slightly aesthetically challenging AV receiver (which all look ugly anyway - and shouldn't you be watching the screen, instead?
emotion-5.gif
)

It sounds like the ideal receiver for your set-up is actually in the cheaper (@£250) bracket -so that's the Onkyo TX-SR505.

The Denon AVR-1508 at the same price-point is a great receiver, but just can't rival the Onkyo for either slam or refinement.

None of the Denon 08 range - nor many other receiver rivals - are 'pigs': far from it. It's just that Onkyo has come in with an incredibly competitive range that's surprised all the rivals.

Next year it'll all be different again, probably - I remember the furore a couple of years ago when Denon virtually swept the board at our Awards...

A

Anonymous

Hi Clare,

Thanks for the quick reply. I will take a look at the 1508.

I know that how the amp looks shouldn't really come in to it, but for now, it is likely to be seen from where I sit. I might have to do a U-Turn and consider hiding the amp and DVD away in a cupboard rather than have it in my eye line.
emotion-5.gif

I think the only thing for it is to go and listen to them both to see what I think (I think I might even take along something to cover it with whilst I listen to them.
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts