New DAC or Streamer

cheyworth

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Ok, looking to upgrade the digital side of my system. Speakers Monitor Audio PL300's, Amp Leema Tucana mk2 and Hydra mk1 bi-amping.

Digital side Bryston BDC1, and Marantz NA7004.

Do I look for a New streamer to replace both (can get a Marantz NA-11s1 for about £2000 and feed CD to it from CDR6000 I have spare) or Get a DAC to run both through?

Not in a ruch at the moment, just looking for an improvement as I feel the amps and speakers can give much more.

Chris

Philim

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Streamer wise I wouldn't consider much more than auralic who offer a stand alone in Aries or streamer / DAC solution. After support is brilliant, continuously developed and the interface is absolutely phenominal now. I ditched my CDs and just stream only.
DAC wise I would only really look at chord Hugo 2 or TT. Most of the other DACs below this I have found to have very little improvement over most other reasonable DACs below this.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
If you can get a streamer with great functions and easy usable software that has a digital out, then whether it's expensive or cheap, as long as it handles all the file types you require, it should be only limited in sound quality by its own DAC. So it would make more sense to me if spending big money to get a functional streamer, and a good dac

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Depending on your budget, regarding DACs, do give the Audiolab M DAC+ a listen... I can't believe how good it is and very reasonably priced.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

cheyworth

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I am leaning now to just a new DAC, as I stream to the NA7004 via iTunes (directly from my server using retune on an android tablet) and use the DAB radio.

I don't think I need any more functionality, so a DAC that will take the output from the NA7004 and a CD player.

the CD side I would either keep the BCD-1 or replace with my old Marantz DR6000, or even upgrade my 4k BLuray to maybe the Sony X800 or x1000.

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
I think you can still get a Mytek 192 DSD for less than €1000.
Benchmark DACs are also excellent. If go 2nd hand you can have one for 400-500eur (the DAC 1)

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Pedro said:
I think you can still get a Mytek 192 DSD for less than €1000. Benchmark DACs are also excellent. If go 2nd hand you can have one for 400-500eur (the DAC 1)

If second hand is OK, the Mytek 192 DSD can be had for 600-700 €. I got mine in like-new condition for 600, international shipping included.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I reckon auralic streamers and a chord dac would work very well, but certainly a cheaper transport streamer and really good dac. A naim streamer too would work well.

but are you using the current streamer into the bryston CD player and using its dacs, rather than any dacs in the marantz, assuming you can? I assume you are happy with the bryston cd quality? If so I'd look at improvements to the amp side of things at the same time as getting a better dac to use the CD player with and keep the streamer.

Ive done amps much more than speakers which you've done the other way around, so I'm thinking if your speakers are the type where improvements can be gained with better and better amps, spending the money there might be wise.

how are your amps connected? This was a while ago so you might have done something already.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I was going to suggest with the speakers you have looking at the fpga solutions that exist.
Chord hugo 2 and TT and PS Audio Directstream Junior.
The clarity from these Dacs is a serious step up very hard to go back from

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
to reply. Don't mean to ruin your party. Took a while to gather my thoughts actually. I was considering either the Linn majik or naim nd5xs as my next upgrade, once funds permit. And then I came across the schiit dac I posted in a seperate thread. I was completely sold on that dac, as I could stream digital from the wxc-50 into this dac. Then I started reading user opinions on various forums. And my head went for a spin. First we buy a dac, then debate wether optical , coaxial or usb sounds best. Then come spdif and usb purifiers, convertors , reclockers and what not. After sorting all this out, comes the question of feeding the dac pure digital bits. And after such considerable expenditure, a simple streamer like the wxc-50 starts looking like the weak link . Then start spending more on jitter free digital streamers and music servers.

In short, after almost getting sold on a dac , Iam now firmly in favour of a streamer with a inbuilt dac. I will place myself in the safe hands of either Linn or Naim, just to save myself the nagging doubt that there is more to be extracted from my source.

So that is my opinion, no more external DAC's for me. I will go with one box , where i fondly hope the manufacturer has taken care of everything end to end , and sit back and relax that I can't tweak my source any further :)

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
newlash09 said:
to reply. Don't mean to ruin your party. Took a while to gather my thoughts actually. I was considering either the Linn majik or naim nd5xs as my next upgrade, once funds permit. And then I came across the schiit dac I posted in a seperate thread. I was completely sold on that dac, as I could stream digital from the wxc-50 into this dac. Then I started reading user opinions on various forums. And my head went for a spin. First we buy a dac, then debate wether optical , coaxial or usb sounds best. Then come spdif and usb purifiers, convertors , reclockers and what not. After sorting all this out, comes the question of feeding the dac pure digital bits. And after such considerable expenditure, a simple streamer like the wxc-50 starts looking like the weak link . Then start spending more on jitter free digital streamers and music servers.

In short, after almost getting sold on a dac , Iam now firmly in favour of a streamer with a inbuilt dac. I will place myself in the safe hands of either Linn or Naim, just to save myself the nagging doubt that there is more to be extracted from my source.

So that is my opinion, no more external DAC's for me. I will go with one box , where i fondly hope the manufacturer has taken care of everything end to end , and sit back and relax that I can't tweak my source any further :)

hi newlash if you've put your system together how does it sound?

cheyworth

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
A quick word on the BCD-1: a very good CD player has great timing and places everything in a large soundstage. It has great bass weight but never overpowers the rest of the music.

So, I bought the Arcam D33 DAC (CD source is a Sony UBD-X800) to replace the Bryston BCD-1, thinking if I don't like it then sell on without losing any money, or sell the Bryston for similar to make a 'free' upgrade. The other source for the Arcam is my Marantz NA7004.

First thing I did was update the Arcam firmware (just habit). I connected the Arcam to the Leema Tucana 2 with Atlas Navigator XLR cables, and to the X800 with Van Den Hul Triaxial Pro coaxial cable. I let everything warm up playing some background music.

Now for the proper listening, first up Barenaked Ladies (Born on a Pirate Ship), what can I say it does everything the Bryston did but more. The soundstage is deep, wide and vocals are locked to the centre in a way I have not had before. You can hear everything going on each note is placed with purpose in space and time, it never sounds forced or unnatural. Switch to Norah Jones and the same again, timing is great the sound is open and relaxed when needed or quick and toe tapping if required never becoming harsh or flustered.

‘And now for something completely different’, Chemical Brothers, Prodigy, Massive Attack and Infected Mushroom. At first I thought the bass was not as good as the Bryston but soon realised that it was just a bit deeper and more part of the music. Given Arcam tent to the warmer side of neutral some tracks may not have the ‘attack’ that you may want some rock music may not agree with the Arcam I like it. Very musical bass midrange and treble are all connected and part of the whole.

And finally, I have often had music on whilst doing other things like reading. I can now read and the music just falls into the background and doesn’t disturb until you focus on it and all of a sudden it catches your attention and the book gets put down for a bit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts