New DAC ? - Chord Qutest/2Qute v Marantz SA8005

Hawkwind16

May 22, 2016
Visit site
I currently have a case of upgradeitis, and I am playing with hi res music (mainly streaming and downloads) and Spotify etc through the DAC on my Marantz SA8005 which produces a very nice sound but a bit light, shut in and laid back (the Marantz house sound?).

I am very tempted by the rave reviews of the Chord Dac family, and looking at the 2Qute (recently down in price) or the new (yet to be reviewed) Chord Qutest which is apparently based on the Hugo 2.

I am hoping this could turbocharge my system (they look like little car turbochargers!) and take my hi fi to a new level.

What does everyone else think ? Any views on Chord DACS out there ?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
This forum is not good for DAC discussion. You maybe better off asking on PinkFishmedia they have a lot more posts about DACS. If spending a lot of money then you may want to consider a used Audio Note if you can find one. Also consider a Mutec reclocker here is a review: https://andreweverard.com/2016/07/12/review-mutec-mc-3-usb-clocking-the-best-way-to-improve-your-digital-audio/

I have not heard the Chord, some find them too clinical. The Metrum Octave DAC was well regarded. John Kenny DAC some say was the best around about £600, it is good for streaming.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Just make sure you can return whatever you buy if the difference in SQ doesn't live up to your expectations. And as hard as it is (for all of us, self included) try not to be blinded by 'new toy euphoria': those initial moments where you're absolutely convinced the difference is monumental because it's brand new, shiny and cost you an arm and a leg.

insider9

Not sure either of these will "fix" the issue you're having. Chords will be rather transparent like most DACs from £1k up. If you want to add body maybe try Mojo. I do personally like Chord DACs and would like a Qutest as soon as it's out. But waiting in anticipation for reviews as it's not guaranteed it will be better than 2Qute.

However I believe what you're trying to do calls for fundamental change to your system and at least an amp upgrade is in order. Speakers upgrade would usually give you most but what you're describing isn't inherent to these speakers. I've owned the MA Silver standmounts and floorstanders and wouldn't call them that at all.

But if you want to try a DAC organise a home demo and listen to it for a week at least. I do not suggest quick AB comparisons when listening to DACs. You may come to wrong conclusions.

Hawkwind16

May 22, 2016
Visit site
Thanks

I don't think the amp is a problem - it gives a great sound and soundstage and i prefer it to my old Roksan Kandy K2 for example, it's also very good with vinyl and other digital sources. I can also slot in my Roksan Oxygene amp to try that, and I'm on the trail of some new bookshelf speakers i can try out too.

It is a new product euphoria to some extent, but what is common in most reviews is that they rave about the new Chord DACS - Hugo 2, 2Qute and Mojo and it seems they are real game changers.

I think I have to visit a Hi Fi shop for a demo...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts