New CD player

AlanS

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
My Cambridge 640 CD player has started skipping and not playing CDs, so a good excuse to look to upgrade.

I have the matching 640A amp and Mission m70 speakers. I'd like to keep the amp but am open to upgrading the speakers to get the clear, open sound I like. Budget for each is around £300.

Any ideas ?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andy Clough"]

I'd plump for a Marantz CD6002 (£270)[/quote]

And it's available for £200 at a well known national chain!
emotion-2.gif

Although trying a CD cleaner first may be a good idea.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JohnDuncan"]I'd push the boat out and get a CD lens cleaner for £3.[/quote]

What he said.

I wouldn't personally bother with an upgrade unless you were spending quite a bit more

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="BigGuads"]
[quote user="JohnDuncan"]I'd push the boat out and get a CD lens cleaner for £3.[/quote] What he said. I wouldn't personally bother with an upgrade unless you were spending quite a bit more
[/quote]

? I think 600 quid is plenty to start somewhere but I would'nt split it equally as what you get is probably not a substantial improvement, that much I agree with BigGuads. I'd put it to speakers or a better amp with a cheap though good player.

A

Anonymous

I'd personally keep your amp and CD player and get some Focal Chorus speakers and some decent wire. If you had to upgrade that is.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Go for some 2nd hand stuff if you don't have more money. Get yourself an Arcam CD92 and ProAc Tablette speakers. You seriously won't be disappointed.

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="AlanS"]
My Cambridge 640 CD player has started skipping and not playing CDs, so a good excuse to look to upgrade.

I have the matching 640A amp and Mission m70 speakers. I'd like to keep the amp but am open to upgrading the speakers to get the clear, open sound I like. Budget for each is around £300.

Any ideas ?
[/quote]

I had a Philips player that did that. I got it fixed by getting the read head realigned.

T

the record spot

It's not bad is it? I think I'd be well tempted if I was looking to do a wholesale change, wanted some good products and work together as well. The interconnect's apparently £90 on its' own, although not sure what the speaker cable is, but even if it was bellwire, this would still be a top offer IMO if the sound of this combo appeals.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts