New CD Player or DacMagic?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

I'm now more confused than ever... I only want a good sound for money.

I know is impossible to compare between the MP3 and the CD sound, the CD is far superior, with time I will get more CDs.But I've a increasing iTunes collection and a few Music CDs.

Right now, beside the IPOD Classic and the Xbox360, I only have a DVD player (Samsung 1080) to play music with my CA 540A and the MA BR2.

I want to improve my system sound quality but I've a limited budget - 200£

I think I've 3 options:

1 - buy a entry level CD Player (CA 340C/540C, Marantz 5001/3);

2 - buy a entry level BlueRay Player;

3 - buy the CA DacMagic and connect the DVD player and the Xbox or Ipod.

Advantages:

Option 1:

+ A CD player is a great buy;

- But I've a very little CD Collection.

Option 2:

- I can't see advantages;

Option 3:

+ The DacMagic could improve my MP3 collection, Xbox streamed audio and the CDs played in the DVD.

- But I don't want a gadget that cannot deliver real HIFI.

Where I will spend my money wisely?

Thanks

John Duncan

It would seem from DM's assessment (and Gerrard's previously) that the DACMagic is real hifi, beats a £200 CD Player easily, and has the advantage of offering better sound from your other sources as well. I think option 3 is a no-brainer (and am getting a DACMagic this weekend).

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:It would seem from DM's assessment (and Gerrard's previously) that the DACMagic is real hifi, beats a £200 CD Player easily, and has the advantage of offering better sound from your other sources as well. I think option 3 is a no-brainer (and am getting a DACMagic this weekend).

I'm confident that the DM would be a match for the 740C as it has most of its innards. The 740C is a highly regarded £500 cd player. As John said, on top of that you can connect other sources which none of the budget - £500 cd players will allow you to do.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:It would seem from DM's assessment (and Gerrard's previously) that the DACMagic is real hifi, beats a £200 CD Player easily, and has the advantage of offering better sound from your other sources as well. I think option 3 is a no-brainer (and am getting a DACMagic this weekend).

Absolutely agree. Its a good device and after I played around a bit more yesterday I found that the setting 'minimum phase' actually improved to a small extend what I've 'criticised' bringing it a tad closer to the 840C. Not in the same category but then the 840C is astonishing for the money too. Both 'no-brainers' for the price.

Blame it all on JD. I was only anal about it because he asked me to
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

I'm convinced, thank you everyone.
emotion-1.gif

The DacMagic has some hidden costs... my new quest: Digital Interconnects!
emotion-2.gif

Fiber Optic or Coaxial?
emotion-10.gif

TRENDING THREADS