New CD Player or DacMagic?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

Recently I've acquired a Cambridge Audio 540A v2 Amp and the Monitor Audio BR2 Speakers to use with my Ipod and temporarily with my DVD player a modest Samsung 1080 P7.

I had plans to buy one of these CD Players, Cambridge Audio 340c, Marantz 5001/5003, Nad 51... ou a 540C v2 between 140 and 200£.

The Dacmagic DAC looks far better than any of these for the same price.

If connected to the Samsung DVD player I could get better sound from the DacMagic than from any of the named dedicated CD players?

I've other uses for the DacMagic, like connecting it to my Xbox to play streaming media.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Pedro Viana

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Pedro Viana:
Hi,

Recently I've acquired a Cambridge Audio 540A v2 Amp and the Monitor Audio BR2 Speakers to use with my Ipod and temporarily with my DVD player a modest Samsung 1080 P7.

I had plans to buy one of these CD Players, Cambridge Audio 340c, Marantz 5001/5003, Nad 51... ou a 540C v2 between 140 and 200£.

If connected to the Samsung DVD player I could get better sound from the DacMagic than from any of the named dedicated CD players?

I've other uses for the DacMagic, like connecting it to my Xbox to play streaming media.

Pedro Viana

Without question! It is brilliant.

A

Anonymous

I see you've one CA DacMagic in your system description, can you tell me where's available?

Thanks,

PMV

A

Anonymous

Pedro Viana:

Hi,

Pedro Viana

I asked a similar question several months ago. I have a cheap Sony DVD player and wondered if adding a Beresford DAC (similar product to the DacMagic) would give me much over a low end CD player, such as the examples you mention.

However, Andrew Everard (who obvioulsy knows his stuff) suggested that the transport in a cheap DVD player is too compromised to ever match or out perform a low-end CD player, when used in conjunction with a "budget" DAC.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
jbadman:Pedro Viana:

Hi,

Pedro Viana

I asked a similar question several months ago. I have a cheap Sony DVD player and wondered if adding a Beresford DAC (similar product to the DacMagic) would give me much over a low end CD player, such as the examples you mention.

However, Andrew Everard (who obvioulsy knows his stuff) suggested that the transport in a cheap DVD player is too compromised to ever match or out perform a low-end CD player, when used in conjunction with a "budget" DAC.

I don't doubt Andrew at all but I've got a cheap Sony dvd player at the moment as transport to the DacMagic and it sounds brilliant. Budget cd players (anything under £500) would not stand a chance. I am soon to replace the dvd player with the top Sony BD player. This should offer a better transport and I will see if the sound improves at all.

A

Anonymous

I think some DVDPs may re-sample their digital output to 48kHz, but you may need to read up on this or specific models.

If you have a cheap old CDP or a laptop lying around, then they'll both feed the Dac Magic well.

A

Anonymous

a4quattro: I think some DVDPs may re-sample their digital output to 48kHz, but you may need to read up on this or specific models.

What are the implications of this?

Is it that the output from the cheap DVDP is not strictly what is on the disc (due to the resampling) ?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site

Hi,

Pedro Viana

The whole point of something like the Dacmagic is to provide good value cd replay and a host of connections, no more. It was never intended to be a high-end add-on or to even compete with the companies better players (or if it was, they failed. It's no match for the 840). As such to be worried about the transport connected to it is pointless. If you want the nt'h degree of performance you have to aim higher I'm afraid. Buy with confidence and use with a trillion digital gadgets, then when you have more cash and fancy something really nice sounding, spend it on a dedicated player but dont go over the top.

John Duncan

Ah but yeah but no but. I'm curious (mentioned it in your other thread DM, though understand it's not top of the list) to see precisely how much effect the transport has - ie how does the 840's DAC sound against the DACMagic when compared A/B. So looking forward to own experiments....

A

Anonymous

Hi,

ÿ

Recently I'veÿ acquired a Cambridge Audio 540A v2 Amp and the Monitor Audio BR2 Speakers to use with my Ipod and temporarily with my DVD player a modest Samsung 1080 P7.

ÿ

I've other uses for the DacMagic, like connecting it to my Xbox to play streaming media.ÿ

ÿ

ÿPedro Viana

I asked a similar question several months ago.ÿÿ I have a cheap Sony DVD player and wondered if adding a Beresford DAC (similar product to the DacMagic) would give me much over a low end CD player, such as the examples you mention.

ÿ

ÿ

I disagree. I am using a £60 Sony DVD attached to a Beresford in one system, and it sounds every bit as good (almost if not identical) to a far more expensive player through the same DAC. (Without the DAC, the Sony sounds terrible) .

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Sorry JD, must have missed that. What do you want me to do? Connect the DM to the 840 and do an A/B? I can do that that this a/noon. (I believe Denon's 685 uses a dedicated CD transport so I'd be surprised if there's much if any difference but I gladly try)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
No worries, I'll post later. I think you'll have some fun ahead of you if they give you the pre-power. Someone I can't mention but we all know was here yesterday with the AVI's. Brought back to me how amazing those things are. Connecting the 840C to both the digital (using the AVI's internal conversion) and analogue in, we both had real difficulty telling the two apart. That's not to the detriment of either and a compliment to both, sound was sublime. As a system, the two CA components are better than anything I've heard for considerably more money and are now serious contenders to the AVI's though there's additional cost and performance is overall probably par though they differ slightly in presentation and do different things better. Let you know about the DAC's mate.

John Duncan

Well, enough to be getting on with I'd say
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

pudley:jbadman:Pedro Viana:

Hi,

Pedro Viana

I disagree. I am using a £60 Sony DVD attached to a Beresford in one system, and it sounds every bit as good (almost if not identical) to a far more expensive player through the same DAC. (Without the DAC, the Sony sounds terrible) .

That's really interesting, Pudley, cheers. Assume you're using an optical between the Sony and the Beresford?

I'm very tempted to give this a try with mine. It can only improve things massively in my view - given the DVD player is only about 1.5 inches tall, there can't be room for much more than the transport in there!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Ok John, here it goes;

When routing CA's current top player, the 840C through the Dacmagic (on linear) the external DAC seems to add width and height. It also sounds marginally weightier and fuller but it's clear why; The Dac fills in the space between instruments and voices. This is not an unpleasant effect but clearly affects separation and ultimately, neutrality. Where the cdp has a very low noise floor ie. low level detail is superbly audible, the Dacmagic somewhat washes them over, smears them. Voices, instruments, everything has better focus and separation through the player. Another thing immediately noticeable is a small amount of grain throughout the frequency range which is not there through the 840 which sounds like cutting through butter in comparison. But the biggest difference has to be impact, bass clarity and depth, dynamics and rythm all of which the DAC clearly is incapable of conveying in the same manner. Just to rub it in a bit more there is, because of the clarity of the 840, also better depth to the soundstage. The external DAC seems to work in a lower gear and is a tad bloated. Overall, similar or same result as when used with a Denon cdp as transport

If that sounds like I think the Dacmagic is not worth the cash, nothing could be further from the truth! Its a great little thing and I'm sure it'll better a good many standalone players which cost more. It also sounds, in a strange way, slightly more fluid than the 840C. That's no doubt to its lower levels of resolution but that's not always a bad thing, especially in lower priced systems and then there are the filter options which eleviate some problems but create others, depending on which one is selected. Great to have the options though!

I personally think for 200 quid its amazing. Versatility, good sound and cool looks. Sold.

Let me know what you think when you get yours JD.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
drummerman:
and then there are the filter options which eleviate some problems but create others, depending on which one is selected.

Could i cheekily ask you for a few words on these filter options?

On my desk by 9am sharp, theres a good lad.

Ahem.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Erm ... ok. I don't really know. In the manual there are some technical justifications for each one but I could'nt explain it without copying it and even I can't be bothered doing that buddy. They all work, they all are subtly different and its a great feature to have though I think most will just leave it on one, in my case the 'linea' setting which seemed to be a good compromise.

A

Anonymous

DrumMan

What CD players do you compare this all to, in context? Past or present?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Present; Denon 685, AVI ADM9.1 (Wolfsons 8741).

Recent past; Most players incl. latest versions by cyrus, rega, arcam, Naim excl. top of range plus others from Marantz, Denon, Primare and I'm sure some more which I can't re-call or rattle down at this time of the morning.

You have to take all this with a pinch of salt a4quattro. Without having everything side by side its nigh-on impossible to be certain about everything, there are just to many variables but I know when I hear a good player or DAC. The 840C is not faultless either imo even if I made it sound like it. Plus I may add that the differences between say the Dacmagic and 840 are relatively subtle (hey, its cd replay!) but I was asked to explain the differences between the two. I think if you have an ultra revealing (ie. expensive) system its worth to spend a bit more on a digital source but for most normal people with half decent systems something like the DacMagic is probably all they'll ever need.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts