New cd player; Marantz or Unison?

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
I'm looking at a new cd player. My system: Luxman 505f, KEF XQ40 speakers. I love a warmer, full bodied without sharp highs. My music is most rock and pop.

Which cd player is better: the new Marantz 8003, the Marantz Sa15S1 or the Unison unico cd? And is if possible XLR better than chinch?

T

the record spot

The Unison and the Marantz Sa15S1 would be nearer each other, but the 8003 had a very good review recently I think. It's a KI without the KI label effectively as there's no 'budget' 8003. There'll be a differently numbered player coming out to fill the outgoing standard SA7001.

A

Anonymous

My experience of the Unison was extremely good. In fact, I think it's bloody amazing. The only downside is the interface; it's dreadful. Disk loading takes ages and the navigation is a bit vague. If you can see past that (I'm sure there's a knack to using it) you'll end up with a CDP that does mids to leave you feeling goose-pimply all over. The bass isn't the tightest going but I think it fits the overall character very well. As you'd probably expect, it matches well with valve amps so that should give you some idea of the flavour. I found my Roksan Kandy like acid after hearing it!

I heard it with Sonus Faber Concerto Domus floorstanders on a Unision Research S2 single-ended valve amp. If the amp had the power to give more bass on the Sonus I would have bought them there and then, £2k he wanted. Brilliant.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts