New cartridge to old Rega

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm overhauling my 21 year old Rega Planar 3. I've still got the original Elys cartridge, and as I bought a CD player shortly after the TT, the needle is hardly worn. Still I think a change might be a good idea after 21 years.

My main candidates are a new Elys, or the similarly prized Ortofon 2M Blue. I might even consider the cheaper 2M Red.

There's no way whatsover I'll buy anything more expensive. I use the Planar only to play old LPs that's not available in digital formats, and growing up during the LP era, I've got no illusions about analog sound quality.

Any thoughts, tips or (preferably) experiences?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I wouldn't bother if I were you.

You already have 21 years of extremely low expectations from vinyl/analogue, so get the cheapest AT cartridge you can find (AT95E?), rip your favourite tracks onto your computer and sell the whole lot when you have finished with it.

An Ortofon 2M Blue would be a waste of money for someone who hates vinyl.

A

Anonymous

Don't be sore.

Even if I'm happy we're through with the mechanical shortcomings of the phonograph, I want to get the best out of those dear old LPs. Adding more distortion than nescessary is not an option.

Especially if I should want to digitize some of my favourite tracks. The shortcomings of a bad cartridge will be digitized along with the music...

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Well, I think you'd find it tricky to mount a 2M on a phonograph, but good luck trying.

For your gramophone, I would go for an AT120E. Replaceable stylus and accurate reproduction.

Same price as 2M red.

A

Anonymous

Careful Fahnsen! I think you angered the natives!

Just a thought but, if you're not buying vinyl any more and you want to rip all you records digitally, it might be a better idea to find someone with a good setup and pay them to rip them for you.

Maybe work out cheaper? dunno.

Now try giving a peace offering, maybe one of those shiny rainbow light discs you have! oooohh! pretty!
emotion-2.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
cookiemonster:
Careful Fahnsen! I think you angered the natives!

No, I just did a forum search on Fahnsen and Vinyl to remind myself how much he dislikes the format. (Example and another)

After that I could not see the point in recommending the Ortofon 2M Blue (that I enjoyed so much on my Rega P2 until recently) nor any other similarly priced cartridge like the Elys 2.

With Fahnsen's oft-repeated views on vinyl/analogue performance (noisy, scratchy, coloured, distorted etc.) I think the cheapest Audio Technica MM should do the job fine.

Why spend more money than you have to on a format that you basically dislike, to play records that - as you say yourself - are old and deteriorating and not a patch on digital media?

A

Anonymous

I was just playing around *looks sheepish*

sheepish_2.jpg

Not like that though.
emotion-40.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts