New Cartridge for Rega Planar 3

slithytove1

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Hi all.

I've just bought a Rega Planar 3 with RB300 arm and a Linn K5 cartridge and am looking for a new cartridge. Stylus is definitely ropey and the K5 is obviously old and, as far as I can tell, it wasn't particularly well thought of when it was new. I've got Arcam 8/8P and MA S1 speakers. My vinyl is mostly rock ( Simon and Garfunkel to Pixies and all points in between). Budget is around £100-£150.

Denon DL 110 and Ortofon 2M Blue have been suggested but any other suggestions/advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
slithytove1 said:
Hi all.

I've just bought a Rega Planar 3 with RB300 arm and a Linn K5 cartridge and am looking for a new cartridge. Stylus is definitely ropey and the K5 is obviously old and, as far as I can tell, it wasn't particularly well thought of when it was new. I've got Arcam 8/8P and MA S1 speakers. My vinyl is mostly rock ( Simon and Garfunkel to Pixies and all points in between). Budget is around £100-£150.

Denon DL 110 and Ortofon 2M Blue have been suggested but any other suggestions/advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Ooh no, those carts are bad suggestions for you. I listen to a lot of rock and metal myself and you want a cart with a lot of depth and that can't be said for either of the carts that were recommended to you. I'm a bit of a broken record because I always recommend the same cart, the Grado Reference Platinum 1, but that's because it's blummin brilliant.
smiley-smile.gif
However, it is over your budget, at £220 from Superfi (the last time I checked, anyhow). It is well worth the extra outlay. It's a cart that does everything well. Don't take my word for it, though, have a google and read the on-line reviews.

If you don't want to go over your budget, and want a great cart for a bargain price, then have a look on ebay for a second-hand Shure M75EJ Type II. You can get one for less than £40 (sometimes WAY less. I got my back-up one for a tenner). It's amazing for rock and vocals. It has a massive amount of punch. The treble isn't as refined as the Grado, but it's pretty good, amazingly good for the money. Also, you can get replacement stylii for £18, from mantra audio, if it needs it.

slithytove1 said:
Hi all.

Thanks

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clearaudio-Aurum-Classics-Woods-V2A-MM-Cartridge-/230649826186?pt=Turntable_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35b3cd0b8a

This is one terrific cart. Normally retail around £250 mark, and I've not heard a better price-compatible cartridge.

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
bretty said:
slithytove1 said:
Hi all.

Thanks

Ooh no, those carts are bad suggestions for you. I listen to a lot of rock and metal myself and you want a cart with a lot of depth and that can't be said for either of the carts that were recommended to you. I'm a bit of a broken record because I always recommend the same cart, the Grado Reference Platinum 1, but that's because it's blummin brilliant.
smiley-smile.gif
However, it is over your budget, at £220 from Superfi (the last time I checked, anyhow). It is well worth the extra outlay. It's a cart that does everything well. Don't take my word for it, though, have a google and read the on-line reviews.

If you don't want to go over your budget, and want a great cart for a bargain price, then have a look on ebay for a second-hand Shure M75EJ Type II. You can get one for less than £40 (sometimes WAY less. I got my back-up one for a tenner). It's amazing for rock and vocals. It has a massive amount of punch. The treble isn't as refined as the Grado, but it's pretty good, amazingly good for the money. Also, you can get replacement stylii for £18, from mantra audio, if it needs it.

Just to get a bit of balance here , what Bretty says may be true to him but it is not for loads of people who like the Ortofon cartridges . Check out The AppleChaps "Personal view of the Ortofon 2M series" a few threads down . His view is just as valid as Bretty's .

I consider my view completely unbiased as I listen to my Rega Planar 3 with RB250 arm and Ortofon 2M red as much as my Origin Live Calypso with Tecnoarm and Grado Reference Platinium 1 (On Bretty's recommendation) and I don't have a problem doing so .

Nick

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
shropshire lad said:
I consider my view completely unbiased as I listen to my Rega Planar 3 with RB250 arm and Ortofon 2M red as much as my Origin Live Calypso with Tecnoarm and Grado Reference Platinium 1 (On Bretty's recommendation) and I don't have a problem doing so .

Nick

How have you found the Grado, Nick?

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Listen, I shouldn't really comment having no vinyl in the mother country, but I did flog audio stuff for a bit when in OZ.

You've got to be careful with Grado. Because of their design they don't use shielding, which means that when used on a deck whose motor wasn't sufficiently protected, you can get hum. Not on all decks for sure, but I've a feeling they didn't work that well on some Regas. Also, and I had some myself, they can be a bit backward on the treble and plummy in the bass, if you know what I mean.

On the other hand, Ortofons work well with Regas, as do AT cartridges - they made some models for Linn.

Not saying don't use Grados, by the way, they have a lovely warm sound, just be aware they're not the all rounders other makes are.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
I would say that the Denon DL110 or 2M Blue would be more than capable cartidges for your set-up for rock music.

I have the same setup as yourself - Rege Plannar 3 / RB300 Arm (however I added the Nichell Technoweight) and found that this greatly improved the low frequencies and is a doddle to fit and set up. Cartridge wise I bypassed the Denon and Ortofon (did look at them) and decided to opt for the more expensive Gorldring 1042 (currently £229 at Superfi).

I listen to a lot of rock music from the 70's to Present and love this cartidge...its a good all round cartridge which offers transparancy and even reproduction across all frequencies. I would recommend it as a good cartridge if you can stretch the budget, if not I dont think you will go far wrong with the Denon or Ortofon on a Rega Deck.

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
bretty said:
shropshire lad said:

Nick

How have you found the Grado, Nick?

I find questions like that very difficult to answer as I'm not very good at describing what I hear but I can say that I love listening to my music with it and have no regrets buying it . It does hum slightly , especially when I touch the body , but any noise it makes is drowned out but the turntable motor so is not really an issue !

Nick

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
[/quote]

I find questions like that very difficult to answer as I'm not very good at describing what I hear but I can say that I love listening to my music with it and have no regrets buying it . It does hum slightly , especially when I touch the body , but any noise it makes is drowned out but the turntable motor so is not really an issue !

Nick

[/quote]

Sorry to hear that you have the humming issue. I've not had that problem with the Grado on the Gyro.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Jason36 said:
Cartridge wise I bypassed the Denon and Ortofon (did look at them) and decided to opt for the more expensive Gorldring 1042 (currently £229 at Superfi).

If it helps, I upgraded the cartridge on my P3-24 to a Goldring 1042 and am very pleased with the results - as it's so personal, I can understand how diffficult it is to decide what to go for. Difficult to demo cartridges.

slithytove1

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Have now decided not to make a decision.

Instead, I'm thinking of going for a stopgap by buying an ATN95E. I understand it will work on K5 ( tho it looks a bit odd).

If it works, great. If not, I'll have £25 less to spend on a new cartridge... :pray:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts