New cartridge for Rega Planar 2......

lcd4ever

Oct 23, 2008
Visit site
Had almost given up on my P2 the motor has been dodgy for a year or so, but looked on e-bay and it seems it is quite easy to replace the motor and electrics....so assuming I manage that ok, the cartridge has been running for the past 21 years and well overdue for replacement....not looking to spend too much (under £100) as I definitely prefer the sound of my Linn Axis when going for a serious vinyl session but the P2 is tucked away in my spare room so I can escape there and leave the wife to the 'soaps'....

Looking at 3 possibles feel free to chip any others I should consider in the sub- £100 range...

Rega Bias 2

Goldring 2100

Ortofon 2M Red

The P2 is amplified by my Audiolab 8000 A, through Mission 302e speakers and my vinyl collection ranges from Bessie Smith to Guns and Roses so a bit of everything

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
the bias will work well on that deck, the goldring is a mixed bag for some but i like it, the 2m red is a good cartridge with some good reviews but i feel it's not much better than the om series it replaced, i had a 2m blue and while it was a very quite cartridge at reducing surface noise it did not really sparkle, i had a goldring 1042 which is a great cartridge but the price is way over the top imo the 2100 is a bit cheaper but is the base model in that range but will it work as good as the bias on the p2, another £ 50.00 and the Denon DL110 would light up your deck, great cartridge but if thats to much i would go with the rega, saves a bit of money and buys more records.

lcd4ever

Oct 23, 2008
Visit site
I was leaning to the Rega I must admit seems enough to spend on a '2nd string' turntable. I have the Denon DL160 on my Axis and it is amazing value......

Rega it is I think....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts